By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Lifetime sale in Japan? + Can it beat the PS3 (10.4M)?

PS4 Lifetime sale in Japan?

3 - 4M 12 3.24%

4 - 5M 9 2.43%

5 - 6M 24 6.49%

6 - 7M 32 8.65%

7 - 8M 48 12.97%

8 - 9M 36 9.73%

9 - 10M 24 6.49%

10 - 11M (Maybe Beat the PS3!) 54 14.59%

11M+ (Beat the PS3!) 59 15.95%

It will even beat the Nintendo Wii! (12.7M) 72 19.46%

Total:370
MikeRox said:
Jranation said:

Yeah. I personally think it will reach around 8-9M. 

Now we have to consider how will the PSVR affect in Japan? Is there a demand or interest in VR in Japan? Does the PSVR need a petting waifu or hentai game for it to get lots of interest? 

And if the PS4.5 thing is real. Will Japanese PS4 owners will upgrade? 

They saw Sword Art Online. VR is doomed there :p

Im sure those otakus wouldn't mind being stuck in an RPG. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Swordmasterman said:

Wii, was a bigger sucess Worldwide, Xbox One, until now, after 1 Year on the Japanese market it sold nearly what Xbox 360, sold on Launch in Japan, Xbox 360, had over 1 Million of Units sold in japan, in the first 25 Months, now Xbox One, have over 60 Thousands, this is a 94% Decrease on Xbox sales on Japan.

Playstation 4, is ahead of Playstation 3, in the same time of their life, Playstation 4, needs to sell over 10 Millions of units in japan until 2021 to be ahead of Playstation 3, and this is clearly possible.

Of Course, but point here is that console market in Japan is in huge decline.

Despite PS4 is selling much better worldwide than PS3, in Japan sales of PS3 and PS4 are very similar for same time frame (two links that I posted). Definitely is possible that PS4 hits 10m in Japan, but I dont see that will be case, PS3 had unusually very long life without successor, I don't think that will be case with PS4. I think PS4 will end around 7-8m in Japan.

The PS2, was still selling on 2008-2010, Selling at a High rate, also had a unusual Life-time of Sales, The Market isn't in such a Decline, in those Researchs they use the Handheld Market, together with the Home Console market, and this Generation is  over 30 Millions behind the last generation only with the Japan Numbers.

France, was over 25% Bigger than Germany, last gen, now Germany is 6-8% Bigger than France, this means that  France's Console Market  is in Decline ?.

Also, those researchs only track Physical Sales, isn't fair to compare Physical units sold of 2014, with the ones of the 90s, the Gameboy, alone was selling better than Nintendo 3DS + PS Vita, on Japan, they don't track Digital Sales, so the Market can still be Flat, instead of Down, with the Digital Sales, and would not be Down, if was not counting the Handheld market.

A Market that Sells Dozens of thousands of Software per week isn't a dead Market, and never will decline this much to became a "Dead market", is the Second best selling market for the Wii U, and the third best selling market for the Playstation 4.

Swordmasterman said:
spemanig said:

Final Fantasy Xiii, 1.88 Millions

Final Fantasy Xii, 2.87 Millions

Final Fantasy X, 3 Millions.

FF XII is at 2.33 Millions according to VGC.

PosGamePlatformYearGenrePublisherNorth AmericaEuropeJapanRest of WorldGlobal
1 Final Fantasy XII PS2 2006 Role-Playing Square Enix 1.88 0.00 2.33 1.74 5.95

Swordmasterman said:
GamechaserBE said:

Accoring to Vgchartz MGSV PS4/PS3 sales combined are still behind MGSIV sales :s?  And I wanted to add that indeed Western franchises are doing better and you can say it are impressive sales for Western Franchises but I believe the amount of people who buy a PS4 in Japan for those Western games is very low.

I Don't think that the number of people that purchase a PS4, for western game in Japan is Low, otherwise Sony, would not had made so much marketing for Black Ops 3 on Japan, i'm a Subscriber of Sony's Japanese Channel, and  the Channel had more than 4-5 Videos of Black Ops 3, per weeks before the Release, and some After the Release.

Well think is the keyword we don't really know. But I see that the biggest Western games are GTAV and COD Bo III on PS4 (correct me if I am wrong). And those games sold around 300K each on PS4 so how many PS4 were sold? 300K is to optimistic and my guess would be 100K?  And less than 5% of PS4's sold are because of those Western games?

Boutros said:
GamechaserBE said:

Accoring to Vgchartz MGSV PS4/PS3 sales combined are still behind MGSIV sales :s?  And I wanted to add that indeed Western franchises are doing better and you can say it are impressive sales for Western Franchises but I believe the amount of people who buy a PS4 in Japan for those Western games is very low.

Well I'm talking launch aligned for MGSV vs MGS4 (and including digital sales which VGC doesn't show).

First 7 weeks according to Media Create (without digital sales):

And we know digital sales are at least 65k on PS4+PS3.

And I disagree I think franchises like Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto sold many PS4s already.

But yeah that's exactly what i meant. We would all have suspected a better performance for MGSV no?

And how many PS4's do you think are sold because of those Western Games. 

Around the Network

A better question would be how long the PS4 will remain above the PS3 launch aligned.
Declining interest in consoles would be devastating...if this was the PS3, but its the PS4 in a completely different generation with a generally more favorable environment sans console interest such as lack of competitor (atm), lower price, etc...

If the generation is much shorter as many alleged, then practically every other concern gets overshadowed by time frame, and this question simply devolves into a resounding (virtually) one sided no.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

VXIII said:
Swordmasterman said:

Final Fantasy Xiii, 1.88 Millions

Final Fantasy Xii, 2.87 Millions

Final Fantasy X, 3 Millions.

FF XII is at 2.33 Millions according to VGC.

PosGamePlatformYearGenrePublisherNorth AmericaEuropeJapanRest of WorldGlobal
1 Final Fantasy XII PS2 2006 Role-Playing Square Enix 1.88 0.00 2.33 1.74 5.95

The Zodiac Job System, is a Japan exclusive, Final Fantasy games had those Exclusive content for Japan,  Final Fantasy 7, had a Director's Cut, but it was with the Original game, Final Fantasy 8, had a Add-on, but Final Fantasy 10, had a "International version" exclusive for japan, with Dark Aeons, and with the Super Boss Peneace, Final Fantasy 12, Had the "Zodiac Job System", those Versions sold Hundreds of thousands units on Japan, and even who don't had purchased the game, was able to purchase those editions.

Split the sales of those 2 versions is like make BloodBorne, and BloodBorne Goty Edition, because are "Different versions", but i made a Mistake and i took the Revenant Wings's Sales.

Final Fantasy 12, sold 2.44 Millions on japan acording to VG Chartz, i have 100% of Confidence that Final Fantasy XV, will break Final Fantasy 13's numbers, and i also think that can break Final Fantasy Xii's Numbers.

But FFX's numbers are right, without the Remaster, and just with the Original game, and the Japanese exclusive version, it sold 3 Millions of units on Japan, Final Fantasy, and Dragon Quest, are bigger than Mario Kart, on Japan.

konnichiwa said:
Swordmasterman said:

I Don't think that the number of people that purchase a PS4, for western game in Japan is Low, otherwise Sony, would not had made so much marketing for Black Ops 3 on Japan, i'm a Subscriber of Sony's Japanese Channel, and  the Channel had more than 4-5 Videos of Black Ops 3, per weeks before the Release, and some After the Release.

Well think is the keyword we don't really know. But I see that the biggest Western games are GTAV and COD Bo III on PS4 (correct me if I am wrong). And those games sold around 300K each on PS4 so how many PS4 were sold? 300K is to optimistic and my guess would be 100K?  And less than 5% of PS4's sold are because of those Western games?

The Division, sold more than 100k on the first week, Raibow Six Siege, i think that it already  sold more than 100k on Japan, Just Cause, i think that sold more than 50k, if i can remember, The Witcher 3, sold 143 Thousands, Star Wars Battlefront, over 175 Thousands, Fallout 4, 175.3 thousands, Battlefield Hardline 112 Thousands, Batman Arkhan Knight, 76 Thousands, Far Cry 4, 64 Thousands, Assasin's Creed Sindicate, 55 Thousands, Dying Light 53 Thousands.

And you are counting 2 games as 1, the Crowd for a Open sand-box Western game, is different than the crowd for a Competitive shooter game, those 2 games, in Japan the GTA V, on PS3, nearly sold 1 Million nof copies according to VGChartz, so out there are a Lot of japanese people that like Western Games, not just 100k, people will purchase the Machine with most games, if Wii U, had Third Party support, it would be selling more than it is now.

Saying that only 100k of the PS4 Sold in Japan was because of Western games, is not true, actually more people purchased Playstaiton, for Western games than before, the reason Why PS4, sells more than Xbox One, on Japan, is because Xbox, only have Western games, but the Playstation 4, have the Japanese, and the western games.

Swordmasterman said:
konnichiwa said:

The Division, sold more than 100k on the first week, Raibow Six Siege, i think that it already  sold more than 100k on Japan, Just Cause, i think that sold more than 50k, if i can remember, The Witcher 3, sold 143 Thousands, Star Wars Battlefront, over 175 Thousands, Fallout 4, 175.3 thousands, Battlefield Hardline 112 Thousands, Batman Arkhan Knight, 76 Thousands, Far Cry 4, 64 Thousands, Assasin's Creed Sindicate, 55 Thousands, Dying Light 53 Thousands.

And you are counting 2 games as 1, the Crowd for a Open sand-box Western game, is different than the crowd for a Competitive shooter game, those 2 games, in Japan the GTA V, on PS3, nearly sold 1 Million nof copies according to VGChartz, so out there are a Lot of japanese people that like Western Games, not just 100k, people will purchase the Machine with most games, if Wii U, had Third Party support, it would be selling more than it is now.

Saying that only 100k of the PS4 Sold in Japan was because of Western games, is not true, actually more people purchased Playstaiton, for Western games than before, the reason Why PS4, sells more than Xbox One, on Japan, is because Xbox, only have Western games, but the Playstation 4, have the Japanese, and the western games.

I only combined them because I didn't want to make guesses how many consoles are sold based on each of  those two games. When most Western games releases they don't create a significant bump in sales.  All we have is facts and that Western games account around 10% of the video game sales in Japan. So you make a fair guess and say that 10% of the consoles sales are because of Western Games. I just believe that most Japanese gamers got a PS4 and then later bought a Western Game for their console. So that 10% would be lower but even if it is 10% or what 250K of the PS4 sales? I would not consider that high but low but you are free to think otherwise.

konnichiwa said:
Swordmasterman said:

I only combined them because I didn't want to make guesses how many consoles are sold based on each of  those two games. When most Western games releases they don't create a significant bump in sales.  All we have is facts and that Western games account around 10% of the video game sales in Japan. So you make a fair guess and say that 10% of the consoles sales are because of Western Games. I just believe that most Japanese gamers got a PS4 and then later bought a Western Game for their console. So that 10% would be lower but even if it is 10% or what 250K of the PS4 sales? I would not consider that high but low but you are free to think otherwise.

We are not talking about Japan's Market, just the Western Game sales  for Consoles on Japan, Wii U, don't have a single western game besides Assassin's Creed, Xbox One, is little to no Existence on Japan, so you need to take the Playstation 4 numbers, throw away Handheld, Wii U, and other numbers, they don't have Western games on it, so is impossible to track something that don't exist.

On 2015, The Top 10 Best Selling Playstation 4 tittles, 4  from the 10 was Western Tittles, with 1 of them  on the top 5, and the other on the top 3.

On the top 20 best selling Playstation 4 games of 2015, 10 of the 20 are Western Tittles, so Saying that only 10% of the Consoles sales of Software on Japan, are Western Games, this isn't true, The Western games are big, like  some Japanese games, the Difference is that on Japan, the Japanese games  Sells so much that they Chart, they also have a lot of Japanese Exclusive games that launch much time later, or even don't launch out of Japan, on other countries Japanese games don't even Chart, but also, Japan's Wester games sales on consoles, are bigger than a Lot of Western Countries on Gaming.