By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Lifetime sale in Japan? + Can it beat the PS3 (10.4M)?

PS4 Lifetime sale in Japan?

3 - 4M 12 3.24%

4 - 5M 9 2.43%

5 - 6M 24 6.49%

6 - 7M 32 8.65%

7 - 8M 48 12.97%

8 - 9M 36 9.73%

9 - 10M 24 6.49%

10 - 11M (Maybe Beat the PS3!) 54 14.59%

11M+ (Beat the PS3!) 59 15.95%

It will even beat the Nintendo Wii! (12.7M) 72 19.46%

Total:370
Swordmasterman said:
konnichiwa said:

We are not talking about Japan's Market, just the Western Game sales  for Consoles on Japan, Wii U, don't have a single western game besides Assassin's Creed, Xbox One, is little to no Existence on Japan, so you need to take the Playstation 4 numbers, throw away Handheld, Wii U, and other numbers, they don't have Western games on it, so is impossible to track something that don't exist.

On 2015, The Top 10 Best Selling Playstation 4 tittles, 4  from the 10 was Western Tittles, with 1 of them  on the top 5, and the other on the top 3.

On the top 20 best selling Playstation 4 games of 2015, 10 of the 20 are Western Tittles, so Saying that only 10% of the Consoles sales of Software on Japan, are Western Games, this isn't true, The Western games are big, like  some Japanese games, the Difference is that on Japan, the Japanese games  Sells so much that they Chart, they also have a lot of Japanese Exclusive games that launch much time later, or even don't launch out of Japan, on other countries Japanese games don't even Chart, but also, Japan's Wester games sales on consoles, are bigger than a Lot of Western Countries on Gaming.

But I am talking about the Japanese PS4 market.  The 10% is from that number and is probably the highest of all devices. It can be higher would be interesting to check out.  And like I said MOST don't create a significiant sales bump when they release. When Sw battlefront on PS4 released with 120K first week the PS4 sales went up with 1% or 200 units more than the week before. While when MGSV released in japan the game opened with 292K fw and the sales bumped up with +50% or 20.000 units more than the week before.

GTA V and COD BO III both also created a significant bump but when I see those two games sold around 300K LTD and were released in a bundle it isn't that impressive. It is like saying people are buying Xbox one's for GOW ultimate edition and Rare replay because they are selling millions while the truth is that those two games had a hard time getting above 500K-1 million before they were bundled. 

Around the Network
konnichiwa said:
Swordmasterman said:

We are not talking about Japan's Market, just the Western Game sales  for Consoles on Japan, Wii U, don't have a single western game besides Assassin's Creed, Xbox One, is little to no Existence on Japan, so you need to take the Playstation 4 numbers, throw away Handheld, Wii U, and other numbers, they don't have Western games on it, so is impossible to track something that don't exist.

On 2015, The Top 10 Best Selling Playstation 4 tittles, 4  from the 10 was Western Tittles, with 1 of them  on the top 5, and the other on the top 3.

On the top 20 best selling Playstation 4 games of 2015, 10 of the 20 are Western Tittles, so Saying that only 10% of the Consoles sales of Software on Japan, are Western Games, this isn't true, The Western games are big, like  some Japanese games, the Difference is that on Japan, the Japanese games  Sells so much that they Chart, they also have a lot of Japanese Exclusive games that launch much time later, or even don't launch out of Japan, on other countries Japanese games don't even Chart, but also, Japan's Wester games sales on consoles, are bigger than a Lot of Western Countries on Gaming.

But I am talking about the Japanese PS4 market.  The 10% is from that number and is probably the highest of all devices. It can be higher would be interesting to check out.  And like I said MOST don't create a significiant sales bump when they release. When Sw battlefront on PS4 released with 120K first week the PS4 sales went up with 1% or 200 units more than the week before. While when MGSV released in japan the game opened with 292K fw and the sales bumped up with +50% or 20.000 units more than the week before.

GTA V and COD BO III both also created a significant bump but when I see those two games sold around 300K LTD and were released in a bundle it isn't that impressive. It is like saying people are buying Xbox one's for GOW ultimate edition and Rare replay because they are selling millions while the truth is that those two games had a hard time getting above 500K-1 million before they were bundled. 

Atleast 30% of the Playstation 4's Owners of Japan purchased the console also for Western games, all the games of the console is what sell this, and while 50% of the Top 20, and 40% of the top 10,  of the best selling Playstation 4 tittles last year in japan, are Western tittles, so atleast 30% of the Onwers, the World have Dozens of countries playing on Consoles, 300 Thousands on 1 Country isn't something this low, people  thing that each country must sell Software like USA, but the USA, is by far the biggest country for gaming.

Look at Germany, a country that have a little more PS4 Players than Japan, Batman, sold over 100k last year on Germany, and 76 Thousands on Japan, this shows that Japanese Market, also is big for Western games, The Witcher 3, sold 340 Thousands in Germany, and 143 Thousands in Japan, this means that the game was a Failure ?, the Japanese market for western games isn't so small like you think.

The problem is that just 1 Machine, from other 3, is the only that have those games.

Swordmasterman said:
konnichiwa said:

Atleast 30% of the Playstation 4's Owners of Japan purchased the console also for Western games, all the games of the console is what sell this, and while 50% of the Top 20, and 40% of the top 10,  of the best selling Playstation 4 tittles last year in japan, are Western tittles, so atleast 30% of the Onwers, the World have Dozens of countries playing on Consoles, 300 Thousands on 1 Country isn't something this low, people  thing that each country must sell Software like USA, but the USA, is by far the biggest country for gaming.

I just find it hard to follow. 10.000.00 video games are sold in Japan for PS4 1 million for sure are Western Games and I bump it up to you to 1.250.000 Western video games sold. It menas 30% or lets say 800.000 of Japanese PS4 owners bought only 2 or less than 2 Western games. I rather go with 250.000 Japanese PS4 owners who bought 4-5 Western games just like JRPG fans in the West tend to buy more than one Japanese/JRPG game.

konnichiwa said:
Swordmasterman said:

I just find it hard to follow. 10.000.00 video games are sold in Japan for PS4 1 million for sure are Western Games and I bump it up to you to 1.250.000 Western video games sold. It menas 30% or lets say 800.000 of Japanese PS4 owners bought only 2 or less than 2 Western games. I rather go with 250.000 Japanese PS4 owners who bought 4-5 Western games just like JRPG fans in the West tend to buy more than one Japanese/JRPG game.

The Attach rate per console is 10-11 Games per console on Average per Generation, people purchase less than 2 Games per year on Average, of course a Japanese gamer will  play japanese games, but also like Western games.

On a Year that Playstation 4, sold 1.1-1.3 Millions of Units in Japan, the top 20 Best selling games of the same year, have 10 Western games, and those western games count as more than 1.130 Millions of Units, you say that only 10% of the Playstation Owners In Japan, play, or purchased Playstation 4, also for Western games.

The problem is that Japanese games chart too High, the Japanese market release a Japanese game nearly every month, a lot of them, those games take the chart of Older Western games, because are new Japanese games, but the Western games sell pretty well on Japan.

konnichiwa said:
Swordmasterman said:

Playstation 4, sold 4.748 Millions , of Software units, more than 1.130 Millions of those software was Western games in the top 20 best selling games of the year.

This means Atleast over 25% of all games sold in Japan, with the Lower ranked ones, maybe it can make 30% of all the games sold.

Around the Network

If it hasn't peaked yet (meant yearly as a sliding 365-days window, not as a fixed solar year) and if it will take some time to peak, then it has some probabilities, otherwise, if it already peaked or if it will peak early, then it won't have any realistic possibility to do it, it would take too many years, and PS3 longevity will be very difficult to beat, giving the older console the edge in the long run, only accumulating a lead big enough in the strongest selling part of its life PS4 could win. So, if it won't do it, I could predict 7-9M lifetime, if it will do it, it could  be 10.5-12M. These aren't scientifically accurate predictions, just numbers I pulled out of my arse, obviously.   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:

If it hasn't peaked yet (meant yearly as a sliding 365-days window, not as a fixed solar year) and if it will take some time to peak, then it has some probabilities, otherwise, if it already peaked or if it will peak early, then it won't have any realistic possibility to do it, it would take too many years, and PS3 longevity will be very difficult to beat, giving the older console the edge in the long run, only accumulating a lead big enough in the strongest selling part of its life PS4 could win. So, if it won't do it, I could predict 7-9M lifetime, if it will do it, it could  be 10.5-12M. These aren't scientifically accurate predictions, just numbers I pulled out of my arse, obviously.   

Everyone's like this too, not even a Single person can predict a life-time sales of a Console if it is just 2 years old.

But now with Nintendo Ceasing the production of the Wii U, i  don't think it can sell 4 Millions on Japan.

It will do just fine. There are plenty of HUGE Japanese games that haven't even come out yet. AND lots that came out these last two years, were also available for PS3. They're not catering to 7th Gen so much anymore.

Just wait for Kingdom Hearts, FFXV and Dragon Quest XI to come out.

Yes, it has a lot of chance to happen with all the cards in sony hands ( PSVR first if Japan catchs the train ), but it will mostly depend on the length of the generation, it will be difficult to do more if the PS4 generation is shorter than PS3 one

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

I don't expect this gen to last that long so no. I'd guess around 5-7m