By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Kotaku - Sources: Sony Is Working On A ‘PS4.5’

4K games will be what size?

Around the Network

4K? xD They should first learn to make 1080p/60FPS as a standard.

oh god between the NX controller and looking like how consoles are adopting the smart phone model i am gonna set my expectations really low for the health of the future of the industry.

vivster said:
Bryank75 said:

As I have been trying to explain to people in the thread that "4K" is probably a misunderstanding... what they must mean is UHD (anything above 1080p but not necessarily 4k.

There is nothing in between for TVs. It's 1080p or 4k.

Difference between Ultra HD and 4K

Technically, "Ultra High Definition" is actually a derivation of the 4K digital cinema standard. However while your local multiplex shows images in native 4096 x 2160 4K resolution, the new Ultra HD consumer format has a slightly lower resolution of 3840 X 2160.

This is one reason why some brands prefer not to use the 4K label at all, sticking with Ultra HD or UHD instead. However, the numerical shorthand looks likely to stick. As a broad brush label it's so much snappier!

Just because the TV displays at UHD levels doesnt mean that the PS4.5 cant upscale from a resolution somewhere inbetween.

Random_Matt said:
Bryank75 said:

Guys, guys, guys.....
Slow wayyyyyy down.

First of all I think the 4K is a misunderstanding, I am sure they just mean UHD. That isn't full 4k but beyond 1080p.

Second, of course there would be a trade-in scheme for at least 6 months where you can get the upgrade for between 150 to 200 euro. depending on the final spec.

Third..... so it's ok to upgrade your phone every year or two but 3-4 years is too soon for a console upgrade.

Fourth: I expect this PS4.5 to release just before the 5 year mark, they were saying this gen would only last 5 years anyway so.... what's the problem?

Fifth: This means PSVR will not be obsolete the minute they transition hardware. That is reassuring for buyers of the platform.

Sixth: PS4 owners wont be left too far behind, they will not be left without the capability to play the latest titles (just at 30fps etc)

Didn't realise consoles can go on contracts.

As we were discussing earlier, this would probably release at the end of 2018 or into 2019. 5+ years is not mobile territory, in fact most people were expecting this console cycle to last only 5 years max. If this guarentees that your entire catalogue of games carries forward along with peripherals, I can see this saving money in the long run. Not to mention if there was a good trade in scheme....

Around the Network

If people want to play game with the highest technology they would buy a pc so if there is a ps4.5 then it's the end of Playstation

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

"Sony is currently planning a new version of the PS4 with increased graphical power and games running at '4K resolution'..."

Aaand its fake.

Hunting Season is done...

cpg716 said:
Its amusing .. that the console gamers here are confused on how this work.. If this came out Holiday 2017/eary 2018. They wouldn't be abandoning the 40+ million current PS4 owners.. NEW titles would work on BOTH CONSOLES.. On the PS4 they would be 1080p and on the new console they would run at 4k.. JUST LIKE ON PC PEOPLE.. There is a REASON BOTH CONSOLES WHEN TO x86 CHIPS THIS TIME AROUND.. THIS WAS THE REASON.. I called this in 2013 when BOTH CONSOLES came out.. That the next versions would simply be UPGRADES.. 16gb of RAM, 2TB HD, and 4k GPUs.. Then is two or 3 years after release.. they could start releasing 4k only games.. would be 2020 before most people had 4k TVS anyways.. But this sort of scenario gives the current people who have 4k TVS a better gaming option.. while allowing those with 1080p to keep their PS4 (2013) models..

They main concern here to me is that anyone who buys the PS4.5 wont get the full use of the system for years after release. Well unless it's a Sony game that is and even then I'm not sure. The thing is you'll have to hold back the game because if you make a game to good the rest of the console wont be able to play it. They already do this with PC gaming and the PS4.5 would be in the same boat. The devs would simply ignore all the extra power avalible to them and continue to make games that pretty much look the same.

Soundwave said:
Console generations are basically going to end. I've said it many times before. MS is already pursuing this and so is Sony, Nintendo also has patents for upgradable consoles.

The business is changing, you guys will need to get used to it.

I dont think it will happen. IMO this is about PS4 Slim with 4k60FPS movies.

method114 said:
cpg716 said:
Its amusing .. that the console gamers here are confused on how this work.. If this came out Holiday 2017/eary 2018. They wouldn't be abandoning the 40+ million current PS4 owners.. NEW titles would work on BOTH CONSOLES.. On the PS4 they would be 1080p and on the new console they would run at 4k.. JUST LIKE ON PC PEOPLE.. There is a REASON BOTH CONSOLES WHEN TO x86 CHIPS THIS TIME AROUND.. THIS WAS THE REASON.. I called this in 2013 when BOTH CONSOLES came out.. That the next versions would simply be UPGRADES.. 16gb of RAM, 2TB HD, and 4k GPUs.. Then is two or 3 years after release.. they could start releasing 4k only games.. would be 2020 before most people had 4k TVS anyways.. But this sort of scenario gives the current people who have 4k TVS a better gaming option.. while allowing those with 1080p to keep their PS4 (2013) models..

They main concern here to me is that anyone who buys the PS4.5 wont get the full use of the system for years after release. Well unless it's a Sony game that is and even then I'm not sure. The thing is you'll have to hold back the game because if you make a game to good the rest of the console wont be able to play it. They already do this with PC gaming and the PS4.5 would be in the same boat. The devs would simply ignore all the extra power avalible to them and continue to make games that pretty much look the same.

Sorry. You are confused.. This is NOT what happends in PC..   Again.. The game you buy would be able to play 1080p or 4k..   PC games do this now.. They can be scaled to play on 720, 1080p, 2k, and 4k..    The games LOOK better as you scale up..    It could easily be the case where once you do the GAME install, it downloads the correct assets..   There is no "holding back power".   The New version would play games at FULL 4k ..  Same game would play JUST fine at 1080 on the original PS4..  Devs wouldn't ignore  4k ..  In most cases devleopers have to DUMB down games to play on the PS4.  Hence why the original Versions they show at E3 etc always LOOK better then what they finally release..     Now they can keep the higher quality versions running smooth on the new system, and then 1080p scalled down ones on the original. 

Also this would be beneficial for a NEWER more capable PS VR to come out in 2 years.. 

Also..  again.. Someone said "Who has 4k"..   By next year pretty much all TV's sold will be 4k.. By 2020 the majority would be.. So it woud make perfect sense if they released this in Late 2017/early 2018..    And again.. No one HAS to upgrade ...  it would be there for those who BOUGHT 4k already..  and they could actually take advantage of it.. 

XBLive: cpg716     PSN ID: cpg716  Steam: Luv4Tech77

Predictions on 12/01/15 - Generation 8 Totals:

PS4: 85-95m
X1: 55-65m
WiiU: 20-30m