By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Kotaku - Sources: Sony Is Working On A ‘PS4.5’

teigaga said:
So no one knows whether its likely possible to upgrade the PS4's performance externally through an add on?

Externally would not be good. As people have said there is a bottleneck in the CPU even now... it can be seen on framerates and performance indicator in Hitman in higly populated areas. This is the AI putting the CPU under strain. 

It needs a very decent cpu, which can be economical. Sony also recently bought their own chip manufacturer in Isreal. 

It needs a slight upgrade in Ram, maybe some ddr3 in addition to the gddr5 it has and it ceerrtainly needs a GPU that can deliver a high end experience.

As I said earlier, they are probably aiming for UHD, not 4k. They are different. UHD is anything above 1080p.

Around the Network

Welp, then they better wait til PS5 before trying this otherwise things will get messy. Release it 2019, fully BC with PS4 and design the hardware with future GPU/CPU upgrades in mind.

shikamaru317 said:
teigaga said:
So no one knows whether its likely possible to upgrade the PS4's performance externally through an add on?

I don't think it's possible. The fastest port on the PS4 is USB 3.0 afaik, which has a 5 Gbit/s transfer speed. Most external GPU upgrades use a Thunderbolt connection, which is 10 Gbit/s, twice the speed of USB 3.0. And like I said, that's just a GPU upgrade, I'd assume that you'd need a CPU upgrade. In fact, I'm not even sure if Thunderbolt's 10 Gbit/s is fast enough to be reliable, you might need the 20 Gbit/s transfer speed of Thunderbolt 2. 

Yeah I think it would have to be a new hardware model, but I guess that one could be upgradable. 

Bryank75 said:

As I said earlier, they are probably aiming for UHD, not 4k. They are different. UHD is anything above 1080p.

Yeah, if people excepted 720 as HD then no reason why they can't market it as a 4k system with the actual game results often falling at resolutions below that but sill above 1080p.

ayyy lmao
Even the PS5 wouldn't run games at 4k
And Sony would have to be the dumbest to go from market share domination post-struggling generation to another starting point

load of crock. only possible if they are working on it but don't plan to release it any earlier than 2018 or 2019

Around the Network
teigaga said:
Welp, then they better wait til PS5 before trying this otherwise things will get messy. Release it 2019, fully BC with PS4 and design the hardware with future GPU/CPU upgrades in mindfuck it to

pic over

teigaga said:
potato_hamster said:

I have actually.

Fair enough, its a very necessary question 

I understand that. I'm actually talking about this from a developer perspective. Multi-platform developers are always going to develop for the lowest common denominator because it makes the most financial sense to do so. Any time you need to make platform specific enhancements or reductions that takes time, money and effort. At the end of the day, the same number of people are still going to buy your game whether or not they have a PS4 or a PS4.5.

So whatever console manufacturer that goes this route has two choices -  make support optional, and no one will bother because its extra work for no real extra gain in terms of sales and profits. Or, make support mandatory and drive up development costs, while maintaining the same number of sales. Either PS4.5 owners feel ripped off because their super PS4 isn't being properly utilized, or developers are pissed off because profits are the driving force behind any successful video game business.

It'll just look nicer on their PS4.5. That doesn't put any additional dollars in the developers pockets, leaving no incentive to support such an initiative.

Its amusing .. that the console gamers here are confused on how this work.. If this came out Holiday 2017/eary 2018. They wouldn't be abandoning the 40+ million current PS4 owners.. NEW titles would work on BOTH CONSOLES.. On the PS4 they would be 1080p and on the new console they would run at 4k.. JUST LIKE ON PC PEOPLE.. There is a REASON BOTH CONSOLES WHEN TO x86 CHIPS THIS TIME AROUND.. THIS WAS THE REASON.. I called this in 2013 when BOTH CONSOLES came out.. That the next versions would simply be UPGRADES.. 16gb of RAM, 2TB HD, and 4k GPUs.. Then is two or 3 years after release.. they could start releasing 4k only games.. would be 2020 before most people had 4k TVS anyways.. But this sort of scenario gives the current people who have 4k TVS a better gaming option.. while allowing those with 1080p to keep their PS4 (2013) models..

XBLive: cpg716     PSN ID: cpg716  Steam: Luv4Tech77

Predictions on 12/01/15 - Generation 8 Totals:

PS4: 85-95m
X1: 55-65m
WiiU: 20-30m

Well, can't wait to see PS4.5 look like, also "Kotaky"?

Edit: There has to be external GPU enclosure, but i THINK you have to buy newer version console that includes special connector. Never fear it's only a guess.

potato_hamster said:
teigaga said:

Fair enough, its a very necessary question 

I understand that. I'm actually talking about this from a developer perspective. The same number of people are still going to buy your game whether or not they have a PS4 or a PS4.5.

So whatever console manufacturer that goes this route has two choices -  make support optional, and no one will bother because its extra work for no real extra gain in terms of sales and profits. Or, make support mandatory and drive up development costs, while maintaining the same number of sales.

It'll just look nicer on their PS4.5. That doesn't put any additional dollars in the developers pockets, leaving no incentive to support such an initiative.

Well lets say COD developer decides not to have 4K support. But Battelfield does. Lots of people are going to switch to the 4K Battlefield as the flagship military FPS. 

Stuff like that will force devs hands. You can sit still, but the competetion is always hungry.