By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Kotaku - Sources: Sony Is Working On A ‘PS4.5’

doesnt really make sense tbh

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network
Chazore said:
fleischr said:

So another hardware addon in addition to PSVR?

Between PSVR, PS Camera, PS Move, PSTV, PS Vita remote play and this, PS4 is rather quickly becoming the most gimmicky home console out there - especially if Sony pushes these add-ons hard enough

It's like Sega saw into the future at one point:

Yeah Sony might want to tread carefully here - or they may go the route Sega did and release a bunch of addons, not support them, and then release more.

When you think about it, none of Playstation's previous hardware addons have really been that successful. Now they seem ready to go all-in on nearly every add-on/gimmick they have available

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

cpg716 said:
method114 said:

They main concern here to me is that anyone who buys the PS4.5 wont get the full use of the system for years after release. Well unless it's a Sony game that is and even then I'm not sure. The thing is you'll have to hold back the game because if you make a game to good the rest of the console wont be able to play it. They already do this with PC gaming and the PS4.5 would be in the same boat. The devs would simply ignore all the extra power avalible to them and continue to make games that pretty much look the same.

Sorry. You are confused.. This is NOT what happends in PC..   Again.. The game you buy would be able to play 1080p or 4k..   PC games do this now.. They can be scaled to play on 720, 1080p, 2k, and 4k..    The games LOOK better as you scale up..    It could easily be the case where once you do the GAME install, it downloads the correct assets..   There is no "holding back power".   The New version would play games at FULL 4k ..  Same game would play JUST fine at 1080 on the original PS4..  Devs wouldn't ignore  4k ..  In most cases devleopers have to DUMB down games to play on the PS4.  Hence why the original Versions they show at E3 etc always LOOK better then what they finally release..     Now they can keep the higher quality versions running smooth on the new system, and then 1080p scalled down ones on the original. 

Also this would be beneficial for a NEWER more capable PS VR to come out in 2 years.. 

Also..  again.. Someone said "Who has 4k"..   By next year pretty much all TV's sold will be 4k.. By 2020 the majority would be.. So it woud make perfect sense if they released this in Late 2017/early 2018..    And again.. No one HAS to upgrade ...  it would be there for those who BOUGHT 4k already..  and they could actually take advantage of it.. 

I've seen seen several Devs say that they've held games back on pc.

Able to run games at 4K.

PS4.5.

😂😂😂😂

PwerlvlAmy said:
doesnt really make sense tbh

While Nintendo starting the console gen halfway a usual generation makes sense?

Around the Network

Watch as PS4 quickly turns into "PSVita"

It would be much sad if Consoles became upgradable, is better to wait until Playstation 5.

I've been saying this is the future in the console space for a long time because IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE.

Why, Why are people saying they don't want to buy a new console so soon?

Even if PS4.5 released this year, it doesn't mean you HAVE TO BUY it or your PS4 would stop working.

Seriously, think about it.

Game development is so expensive today that the only realistical scenario is where most if not all the games released in the next 4-5 years will work on both PS4 and hypothetical PS4.5. So anyone who has bought PS4 does NOT NEED to buy PS4.5 to play the newest games released in the next coming years.

The old console generation model will disappear because the userbase split is way too extreme for todays game development costs. Upgrading hardware model will keep the userbase more controllable and thus decreasing game development investment risks.

I cannot imagine toilet-free life.

Kebabs have a unique attribute compared to other consumables. To unlock this effect you need to wolf down a big ass kebab really fast, like under 10 minutes or so and wait for the effect to kick in. If done correctly your movements should feel unbelievably heavy to the point where you literally cannot move at all.

-Downtown Alanya Kebab magazine issue no.198

"In layman’s terms, 4K resolution is around twice the pixel size of 1080p, which is the current standard for games on PlayStation 4 and competing consoles."

That line is dead wrong. Who wrote this? Is such a lame article and it's obviously made-up.

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

I would love a PS4K to tide me over until PS5. Even if all it does is play the current games at 4k!

My 4K TV's are ready.

That being said, the article has to many technically incorrect statements to believe this.

What I see happening is the PS5 will also be able to play PS4 games in 4K.  PS5 is in development, and is a way away.