By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Kotaku - Sources: Sony Is Working On A ‘PS4.5’

Chazore said:

The technology has been evolving over the past few decades pretty quickly, it makes sense that console generations are eventually going to become a thing of the past, where instead of waiting nearly a decade, you upgrade within less time. The only issues I'm seeing with this are price points 

Im not into all this PClab things, but I think personally PC power upgrades were much faster in PS360 era than it is today. Look at multiplats - PC versions offers real improve in graphics during PS360 reign, now its mostly 60 FPS + some thing DF has to mention separately, because they are mostly unnoticed.

Also other thing - a lot of ppl jump into deskop/laptop/palmtop.

Around the Network
method114 said:
cpg716 said:
Its amusing .. that the console gamers here are confused on how this work.. If this came out Holiday 2017/eary 2018. They wouldn't be abandoning the 40+ million current PS4 owners.. NEW titles would work on BOTH CONSOLES.. On the PS4 they would be 1080p and on the new console they would run at 4k.. JUST LIKE ON PC PEOPLE.. There is a REASON BOTH CONSOLES WHEN TO x86 CHIPS THIS TIME AROUND.. THIS WAS THE REASON.. I called this in 2013 when BOTH CONSOLES came out.. That the next versions would simply be UPGRADES.. 16gb of RAM, 2TB HD, and 4k GPUs.. Then is two or 3 years after release.. they could start releasing 4k only games.. would be 2020 before most people had 4k TVS anyways.. But this sort of scenario gives the current people who have 4k TVS a better gaming option.. while allowing those with 1080p to keep their PS4 (2013) models..

They main concern here to me is that anyone who buys the PS4.5 wont get the full use of the system for years after release. Well unless it's a Sony game that is and even then I'm not sure. The thing is you'll have to hold back the game because if you make a game to good the rest of the console wont be able to play it. They already do this with PC gaming and the PS4.5 would be in the same boat. The devs would simply ignore all the extra power avalible to them and continue to make games that pretty much look the same.

Ehhh why would that bother you? It's just an upgraded PS4 within the confinement of the original system? If you don't like it then you shouldn't be buying an upgraded PS4.

"sources". Do they mean some shaddy tabloid magazine?

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Lol more kraptaku spreading FUD.
Keep the playstation hate train going guys.
Must still be concerned about being blacklisted back in 2005.
With all the bad stuff going down for their masters lately guess they feel the need to deflect some of it.

Anybody would know that Sony does not share specs/info of consoles to outside sources after what happened with the PS3 specs being leaked to MS before announcement. Not even naughtydog knew the PS4 specs before hand.

KingofTrolls said:
Chazore said:

The technology has been evolving over the past few decades pretty quickly, it makes sense that console generations are eventually going to become a thing of the past, where instead of waiting nearly a decade, you upgrade within less time. The only issues I'm seeing with this are price points 

Im not into all this PClab things, but I think personally PC power upgrades were much faster in PS360 era than it is today. Look at multiplats - PC versions offers real improve in graphics during PS360 reign, now its mostly 60 FPS + some thing DF has to mention separately, because they are mostly unnoticed.

Also other thing - a lot of ppl jump into deskop/laptop/palmtop.

Back at the start of last gen, last gen systems were more powerful than PC's, at least for a while. Now they've changed over X86, the game is the same but they started off with off the shelf parts (so they don't sell at a loss) and we've also been seeing some parity between systems now and then. I wouldn't put everything DF say to the gospel though, there are plenty of other guys and gals out there with benchmarks and knowledge than just one place on the net, don't forget that most multiplat titles also have to work on the lower end spec (in this case the X1), so I don't expect night and day differences when we're all strapped to who hit the lowest bar, though 4k textures and 4k res does make a difference for some games.

Nvidia and AMD are due to release some new cards this year and the enxt, I;m going to guess that next years cards will give a nice jump for those who haven't already upgraded their rigs in a decent while, same with Intel and AMD's CPU's next year, once all those are out we'll be seeing another jump for those who upgrade their hardware in that space.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

According to someone who's apparently an insider on NeoGAF it's releasing at the end of the year http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=198621493&postcount=2182

Tagging for later laughs.

So another hardware addon in addition to PSVR?

Between PSVR, PS Camera, PS Move, PSTV, PS Vita remote play and this, PS4 is rather quickly becoming the most gimmicky home console out there - especially if Sony pushes these add-ons hard enough

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Yeah, bollocks.

In real life tests you need 3x as powerful GPU for same settings when jumping from 1080p to 2160p...unless a minor miracle happens and 7nm is mature and cheap for 2019 and 9th gen, I doubt we'll be seeing internal 2160p even in guesstimated 15TFLOPS PS5 (given that devs will prefer visual enhancements over resolution), let alone in PS4.5 of "gaming news are slow, so we need to stir things up" Totilo's Kotaku.

fleischr said:

So another hardware addon in addition to PSVR?

Between PSVR, PS Camera, PS Move, PSTV, PS Vita remote play and this, PS4 is rather quickly becoming the most gimmicky home console out there - especially if Sony pushes these add-ons hard enough

It's like Sega saw into the future at one point:

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"