By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Kotaku - Sources: Sony Is Working On A ‘PS4.5’

fleischr said:

Yeah Sony might want to tread carefully here - or they may go the route Sega did and release a bunch of addons, not support them, and then release more.

When you think about it, none of Playstation's previous hardware addons have really been that successful. Now they seem ready to go all-in on nearly every add-on/gimmick they have available

I've also noticed GPU's being encased and external as being a thing within the PC space, maybe Sony think they could do something like that but with how Sega did things lol. They should definitely trread lightly though.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
sergiodaly said:
"In layman’s terms, 4K resolution is around twice the pixel size of 1080p, which is the current standard for games on PlayStation 4 and competing consoles."

That line is dead wrong. Who wrote this? Is such a lame article and it's obviously made-up.

I think it might be true if the other, senior, more established members of Kotaku like Totilo and Schreier have heard it, this writer just didn't know it's 4x 1080p.

And yeah I don't think the baseline will be 4K either since even 980 Ti's struggle at this res.

WC4Life said:

I've been saying this is the future in the console space for a long time because IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE.

Why, Why are people saying they don't want to buy a new console so soon?

Even if PS4.5 released this year, it doesn't mean you HAVE TO BUY it or your PS4 would stop working.

Seriously, think about it.

Game development is so expensive today that the only realistical scenario is where most if not all the games released in the next 4-5 years will work on both PS4 and hypothetical PS4.5. So anyone who has bought PS4 does NOT NEED to buy PS4.5 to play the newest games released in the next coming years.

The old console generation model will disappear because the userbase split is way too extreme for todays game development costs. Upgrading hardware model will keep the userbase more controllable and thus decreasing game development investment risks.

This really makes no sense, you are Saying that the User Base's Split is too big today, but what a Upgrade would do is Split the User Base, Raise the Development Costs, and will not raise the sales, the people who would purchase a Playstation 4.5, was the ones that were to purchase a Playstation 4, so Sony, get nothing from it, they lose money because made this, piss off developers, piss off fans, and would bring no good for anyone.

Make 1 Console every 6 Years or so, is the way to go, this is What don't split the Userbase,  this don't split the Userbase, Even a new Upgradable model would need A Lot more of money for development cost, is more Worth for you company to release the next entry of your machine, instead of a Upgrade, For Example, a Upgradable version means that the Developers will need to make 2 Versions for the same machine, this raise the Development cost for a Machine, and can even  take Games away, if today is 40 Millions to make a PS4 Game, and became 70 Millions to make PS4 + PS4.5 Games, or Sony, would need to take the money from their pockets, for don't piss the previous userbase, or the Developers would make a Game that don't use PS4.5, and Sony, would be competing with them-selfs in the same market, and this is ridiculos.

kurasakiichimaru said:
PwerlvlAmy said:
doesnt really make sense tbh

While Nintendo starting the console gen halfway a usual generation makes sense?

makes more sense than this,yes

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

I honestly wouldn't mind a PS4.5 as long as current PS4 owner don't get screwed.

Also the 4K gaming part has to be bullshit.

Around the Network
PwerlvlAmy said:
kurasakiichimaru said:

While Nintendo starting the console gen halfway a usual generation makes sense?

makes more sense than this,yes

I Agree, Make more sense launch a New Console with 4 Years Life-spam, than Launch a Upgrade, that will be Top-line, just a few years before launch PS5, that even on the PS5 Time, will not be cheap if they plan to Surpass this 4K Resolution.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
People going crazy here and gaf over a fucking website that copy shit from reddit and call it one article, that puts stuff like " japan made cookies that look like shit " etc etc...

If true its ps4 slim or some shit and these clowns are just fishing clicks.

Why gametrailers site closed and these fuckers continue to exist?

Maybe because Gametrailers didn't do clickbait moronic articles like this.

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

Honestly if the story is true, I'll probably gift my nephew my PS4. Then buy the PS4.5 whatever it is. That could solve my problem on Xmas. Lol

If this is real, which it's most likely not, all it's gonna do is divide gamers. It won't be available at a reasonable price (599 US Dollars!), it won't be a significant enough jump visually (due to spiking development costs if nothing else), and it'll only piss off most of the current buyers, ESPECIALLY those few that actually buy PSVR.

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

Turkish said:
sergiodaly said:
"In layman’s terms, 4K resolution is around twice the pixel size of 1080p, which is the current standard for games on PlayStation 4 and competing consoles."

That line is dead wrong. Who wrote this? Is such a lame article and it's obviously made-up.

I think it might be true if the other, senior, more established members of Kotaku like Totilo and Schreier have heard it, this writer just didn't know it's 4x 1080p.

And yeah I don't think the baseline will be 4K either since even 980 Ti's struggle at this res.

A 980 ti might struggle with 4k at PC very high/ultra settings and 60 fps, but ps4 games aren't near those settings in terms of graphics quality and most target 30 fps. Even something like a 380x runs most new games in 4k at highest settings at around 20fps-30fps, so 4k at PS4 graphics level at 30 fps shouldn't be to much trouble.