By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Worst 7 Female Stereotypes in Videogames That Need to Go

Tagged games:

TallSilhouette said:
spemanig said:
Tails is a male Damsel in Distress. No one cries sexism.
Mario in Luigi's Mansion is a male Damsel in Distress. No one cries sexism.
Dante is meant to be eye candy and a badass. Ain't nobody mad.
Drake is meant to be eye candy and a badass. Ain't nobody mad.

That is all kinds of brilliant!

Around the Network

Who the heck actually thinks these need to go? Stereotypes exist because they are often true. Second of all game makers give us what we want. We want eye candy so we get it. Shame on this article trying to take away things that we enjoy in order to be PC. SJW's like this ruin everything.

I can understand and agree, if the article was about games needing better writing and character development. Female stereotypes in games need to go? Oh blah. What's the problem? Stereotypes are not bad and many actual people are walking stereotypes so why shouldn't fictional characters be created following a different trend of stereotypes. It's harmless and completely normal.

Farsala said:

Contrary to popular belief women also like to see beautiful women. Arguably more then men. So not only do these scantily clad women appeal to a lot of men, but they also appeal to a lot of women.

One telling thing for me is which characters women want to dress up as. You see a lot more Tifas than Aeriths out there, for example.

But jacked male characters with razor blade jawlines are cool?

Also the sexy badass has to be attractive physically to be believable, HERE ME OUT:

In order to be able to physically do the things that badass female characters can do they actually have to have a believable body to pull it off, do you ever see any gymnasts who are arguably pound for pound some of the strongest athletes in the world, look like a 'real woman'? No because they wouldn't be able to do what they can do.

So just by having the body type required to be badass in the ways they are they instantly become 'sexy'.

PS4(PS5 Soon)and PC gaming

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network

I swear that every single female character that's in video games gets a ton of attention if it's possible to give her any. As for male characters, they need to really upset people to get any special attention. Why, I wonder?

I actually do agree about some of the author's points (eye candy to an extent, lack of armor), but I also believe in creative freedom, even in cases where it's used inappropriately (according to 'some standards'). If you don't like it, don't buy it. It's that simple.

Also, whicher of those stereotypes actually appear in games, also have some basis in the real world. It may not be here at this time, but at some point of history that may have been the case. Or perhaps at some other culture not familiar to most of us.

BraLoD said:

Nope, don't agree, developers should have freedom to do characters spawing from any kind of possibilities, and if they want a prostitute, a damsel in distress, a badass strong female character or anything else, they should do it without a second thought.

What should stop is people trying to put a limit or rule to a creative work, just fuck off.

This,

melbye said:
A character in a game is not a real person, it is just designed to look like one(and sometimes not). They are literally objects in terms of programming

this,

spemanig said:
As will likely be the common sentiment here, one woman doesn't represent all women. Also, these aren't stereotypes, they are archetypes. Archetypes aren't gender exclusive. There are wussy boys who need saving, know-it-all nerds, very attractive male eye candy, there literally a male "who needs armor anyway" in the same fucking picture you cropped you knob, almost every male video game character is intentionally designed to be an extremely sexy bad ass, and there are just as many male victims in video games as females.

Peach being a damsel in distress isn't meant to suggest or imply that all women are damsels in distress or that Peach isn't a damsel in distress because she's a woman. That's just a character trait specific to her as a character.

This article is so stupid. There is no agreeable basis for it. Just people needing a reason to be pissy about shit.

this

JWeinCom said:
This may come as a surprise, but not every woman is a confident, independent, modestly dressed, honorable person. Some women in real life do fall into those categories. I get the need for more positive representations of women, but that doesn't mean we can't every do anything that shows women as less than perfect.

...and this.

TallSilhouette said:

That's brilliant. Thank you for sharing!

Farsala said:

Contrary to popular belief women also like to see beautiful women. Arguably more then men. So not only do these scantily clad women appeal to a lot of men, but they also appeal to a lot of women. When the women are beautiful they essentially have two markets, the men who like to play as sexy women and the women. While a macho man would only have men play them for the most part. I don't know how many women would like to play as Zangief for example... But many men and women would play as Chun Li.

More than that too, I know many woman who use sexuality as a form of empowerment. Much like a man may feel empowered by being muscular/athletic and having an outfit that can show that off, a woman may feel empowered by having a great body and kicking ass!

I really don't get it. Aren't the artcicle's complaints the very premise of sexual repression? The movement to bring female sexuality onto the same accepted level as male's was very important and relatively recent. Equality in the bedroom - the idea that women can feel confident about their bodies. When you have men in video games ripping their shirts off and looking great while saving the world - and not women because "that's wrong" - you're teaching females that their sexuality is inferior to a male's and not something to bediscussed AKA repressing it. This is why I consider this article stupid. Video games will still continue to pump out men like Kratos and Cloud Strife and Snake and Geralt, and their female counterparts will be wearing Nun's outfits and committing to celibacy lmao.

That being said, I do recognize that some females in some video games have outfits that seem to be hypersexualized just for the sake of it. Take Cindy the mechanic from FFXV for example. I'll be damned if I have to run around fixing cars showing that much skin haha it's just plain unrealistic. However, I recognize that it is "fantasy" so I don't let it bother me too much. Besides, it's a female mechanic so yay equality!

Furthermore, I don't think these "stereotypes" are as prevelant as the author makes them out to be. Half of those images and examples are a decade old. You can play as a female in most new games like Black Ops 3, Fifa, The Division, almost every RPG etc. The times, they are a-changing!

#1 Amb-ass-ador

PxlStorm said:
BraLoD said:

Nope, don't agree, developers should have freedom to do characters spawing from any kind of possibilities, and if they want a prostitute, a damsel in distress, a badass strong female character or anything else, they should do it without a second thought.

What should stop is people trying to put a limit or rule to a creative work, just fuck off.

This,

melbye said:
A character in a game is not a real person, it is just designed to look like one(and sometimes not). They are literally objects in terms of programming

this,

spemanig said:
As will likely be the common sentiment here, one woman doesn't represent all women. Also, these aren't stereotypes, they are archetypes. Archetypes aren't gender exclusive. There are wussy boys who need saving, know-it-all nerds, very attractive male eye candy, there literally a male "who needs armor anyway" in the same fucking picture you cropped you knob, almost every male video game character is intentionally designed to be an extremely sexy bad ass, and there are just as many male victims in video games as females.

Peach being a damsel in distress isn't meant to suggest or imply that all women are damsels in distress or that Peach isn't a damsel in distress because she's a woman. That's just a character trait specific to her as a character.

This article is so stupid. There is no agreeable basis for it. Just people needing a reason to be pissy about shit.

this

JWeinCom said:
This may come as a surprise, but not every woman is a confident, independent, modestly dressed, honorable person. Some women in real life do fall into those categories. I get the need for more positive representations of women, but that doesn't mean we can't every do anything that shows women as less than perfect.

...and this.

These are too many this right there

nahh. i like sterotypes in games and movies

GTA V is an example for perfect and fitting sterotypes.
Well even Bayonetta is a pure steroetype :O