By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global (HW/SW) Totals - 06 Feb 2016 thru 05 March 2016

SvennoJ said:

So is XBox One heading below 360 now?

XBox 360 sales from the archives vs XBox One sales

Februari 2nd 2008    106,574       Februari 6th 2016    102,713   (-3,861)
Februari 9th 2008     123,216       Februari 13th 2016  107,863   (-15,353)
Februari 16th 2008   117,234       Februari 20th 2016    98,588   (-18,646)
Februari 23rd 2008   120,866       Februari 27th 2016    99,718   (-21,148)
March    1st    2008   130,271       March     5th  2016     91,997   (-38,274)

PS3 was doing 160k to 180k weeks that month, Wii 226k to 366k weeks!

Interesting. Thanks for doing the comparison. I think lots of people, myself included, were expecting the XBO to start slipping below the sales performance of the 360.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
LesserAmygdala said:
KingofTrolls said:

Dont forget Nier Automata, Ni Oh, Gravity Rush 2 and some others titles :D

Super hyped for Nier and NiOh, especially the latter, but can we consider them as big titles, sales wise?

Well you included Ratchet and Clank. That series hasn't been hot since the PS2 days and rapidly loss popularity last gen. The first one PS3 and the PSP one are the last big ones, the others sold under or close to a mill. Im sure Ni OH Nier can potentially manage at least a mill.

COKTOE said:
Conina said:
Doesn't look like the Wii U will pass the Vita soon. Although it should have happened already in 2015... or 2014... or 2013... or even 2012: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=148326&page=1

Either it will happen between Black Friday and Christmas this year or never... probably depends on NX.

The arrogance and overconfidance of some of those posts...predicting the Wii-U would pass the Vita in 3-4 months. It makes me smile to see them all proven so very, very wrong. As it does for the Vita to outsell the Wii-U last month by a nearly 2-1 margin. Vita means Life. Wii-U means I want to piss on you. Aaannd that's the most fanboy-ish post I've made in a while. 

Isn't vita overtracked, though? I guess it already passed.

I'm impressed by 3DS's boost. Looks like Fire Emblem: Fates still moved consoles even with the 3DS being fairly old at this point.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

At this rate, it's 12 weeks before ps4 doubles xb1

Around the Network

Tag

Thunderbird77 said:
COKTOE said:

The arrogance and overconfidance of some of those posts...predicting the Wii-U would pass the Vita in 3-4 months. It makes me smile to see them all proven so very, very wrong. As it does for the Vita to outsell the Wii-U last month by a nearly 2-1 margin. Vita means Life. Wii-U means I want to piss on you. Aaannd that's the most fanboy-ish post I've made in a while. 

Isn't vita overtracked, though? I guess it already passed.

It's not overtacked that I know of. I just saw a thread with posts saying the Vita is undertracked. I don't know either way, but the numbers I see say the Vita is ahead by approximately 800 000 units. So I figure, it's likely ahead by approximately 800 000 units. Close-ish in some ways, but at the rate the Wii-U is selling, a realistic date for the Wii-U to pass the Vita is the 12th of Never. Of course, it still could pass it in sales. This race actually intrigues me!

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

CGI-Quality said:
barneystinson69 said:

Then it essentially undermine's the position of the brand. The reason its losing is due to virtually no marketing, and overpriced bundle's. All their good bundle's are going for 400$ (Eg division bundle), and either they don't sell, or they produce almost none of them so they can't sell. A profit strategy in the long term results in a lose of revelance amoung the market. A 249$ price cut would see a huge upshift in sales, and as such software sales should improve. Games are selling 1/2 on the XB1 compared to the PS4, which is why they aren't making money. Hardware isn't mean't to be profitable, trust me, the strategy will fail.

That's a $100 price slash. That definitely won't happen, unless they become well, and truly, desperate. I mean, those types of cuts aren't uncommon in the industry, not to get me wrong, but I don't expect that kind of cut, this gen. The last time I thought it may happen was with the PS4, but alas, even that was just $50

Further more, MS isn't stupid. Why bait the lion? as it stands, (espeiclalu if u look at the MB or the new 12xx PS4 models) the PS4 probably has a BOM under or around $300. The XB1 is probably around that it a little more right now. MS can drop the price of the XB1 to $249 and enjoy a minimal sales boost in NA but will still probably be unable to outsell the PS4 at $350 for more than a month. All the while taking a loss on the hardware. 

Then a month later sony can casually decide to drop the price of the PS4 to $299 and boom, everything XB1 had achieved would be wiped clean and then the ps4 will be at an even higher monthly aveegae and the lead will increase at an even more embarrassing rate. 

MS can as twisted as it may sound, rest easy in the knowledge that Sony will probably not drop the price of the PS4 till they do. 

barneystinson69 said:

But why not? It was estimated in 2013 it cost 380$ to make an XB1. Its been 3 years, and the XB1's hardware is already dated. I'd say its below 300$ at this point, so what exactly is the issue? Software has always been the place to make money, but its clear Microsoft isn't thinking that way. Following the PS4's price has been a disaster thus far, and it shows. They where flat in 2015 in terms of sales compared to 2014, and this year is showing the same picture. 2017 will likely be a large decline, and after that it'll be selling like garbage. Also no third party marketing deals and games going to PC = no relevance to market.

Doesnt quite work that way. in the industry all things have a fixed price point till something better or cheaper comes along. To explain:

The APU in the XB1/PS4 cost exactly what it cost to make in 2013 as it does today, maybe even more if you factor in inflation. And that will remain the same until the chip foundaries that mak e them switch to  14/16nm process from the 28nm they are still on today. Memory costs go down as fabrication process improve too. For chips, it's that you can make more chips with one wafer disc and for memory it's that you can fit higher capacities in fewer modules. 

Right now the PS4 is using 8 modules less of memory cause they moved from 512MB modules to 1024MB modules. that amounts to about a 40-45% reduction in memory cost price for them. but the APU and disc drive still cost the same to make. As for the HDD, that's funny, cause at some point it starts costing you more putting in 500GB than it does putting in 1TB. 

Simply put, don't look at the time. look at the tech, that should tell you when propwr cost reductions are coming. The foundary that makes their APUs just started spitting out their first batch of 16nm chips. but the likes of Nvidia and AMD gets first dibs on those. Expect to see the tech in the ps4/xb1 sometime next year. then we get slim.versions of the consoles and then we can start talking about sub $250 consoles or less. 

When 14/16nm fabrication hits consoles, they basically get 4 Chios for what it cost them to get one right now. They can also do away with the fan/heat sink or out in a smaller cheaper one. Put in a smaller PSU, smaller board, smaller case, smaller box, lower shilling cost or shipping more for the same prices.... hell, if they really wanted to push it, they could make the consoles discless and price them at $199 then make u pay $80 for a USB disc drive if you insist you want to use a disc. 

KingofTrolls said:
LesserAmygdala said:
PS4 doing so fucking good, and the biggest heavy hitters haven't even hit yet. Uncharted 4, Ratchet & Clank, Final Fantasy XV, Gran Turismo Sport, Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last Guardian etc. Hopefully this leads Sony to make more and more games for the PS4.

Dont forget Nier Automata, Ni Oh, Gravity Rush 2 and some others titles like Kingdom Hearts 2.8. :D

I got you amigo.