By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global (HW/SW) Totals - 06 Feb 2016 thru 05 March 2016

ArchangelMadzz said:

But those YTD totals though..

#1 Amb-ass-ador

Around the Network

The True Console War, is between Playstation Vita, and Wii U.

CGI-Quality said:
barneystinson69 said:

But why not? It was estimated in 2013 it cost 380$ to make an XB1. Its been 3 years, and the XB1's hardware is already dated. I'd say its below 300$ at this point, so what exactly is the issue? Software has always been the place to make money, but its clear Microsoft isn't thinking that way. Following the PS4's price has been a disaster thus far, and it shows. They where flat in 2015 in terms of sales compared to 2014, and this year is showing the same picture. 2017 will likely be a large decline, and after that it'll be selling like garbage. Also no third party marketing deals and games going to PC = no relevance to market.

Good points. I guess we'll just have to wait it out. This could be the peak year (unless $299 does wonders for them - which is possible). 

It wouldn't surprise me if the peak year was last year for XB1. 2016 is currently lower than 2014 & 2015 were plus I don't see the huge fire sales of 2014 happening or Crackdown/Gears being able to do more than Halo/Tomb Raider did in 2015.

It's possible that it will be up but wouldn't surprise me if it isnt.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Qwark said:
The PS4 is doing quite well, Xone is still selling 80-100k on weekly basis which isn't all that bad. Wii U seems pretty much dead.

It's not that bad, but it's not all that good either. YoY every week is down on the back of allegedly the best games line-up in Xbox history

2016     2015     var
5-Mar XOne 91,997   XOne 93,456 -1,459
27-Feb XOne 99,718   XOne 116,090 -16,372
20-Feb XOne 98,588   XOne 113,219 -14,631
13-Feb XOne 107,863   XOne 115,831 -7,968
6-Feb XOne 102,713   XOne 105,470 -2,757

Aside from 2 weeks those differences are within margin of error, but in the face of PS4 being hugely up being down YoY at exactly the same point in the generation is not a healthy sign.

2016     2015     var
5-Mar PS4 252,265   PS4 184,711 +67,554
27-Feb PS4 291,169   PS4 210,557 +80,612
20-Feb PS4 318,676   PS4 273,634 +45,042
13-Feb PS4 290,312   PS4 289,329 +983
6-Feb PS4 286,592   PS4 245,196 +41,396

Anyway, it's nice to get well caught up with hardware, but discussion is stimulated much more when hardware numbers are published concurrently with software and on a weekly basis.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

barneystinson69 said:
BraLoD said:

Price cuts won't help much anymore, MS already realised it later last year, they already shifted for a profit rather than a sales stratagy, but even then there are still better deals on the XBO upfront right now and it's not working at all, just look at Amazon, price cuts and deals don't work anymore, that's a lost battle, elevating the XBO sales to PS4 sales is something MS can't do anymore, and they know it, so there should be no price cut soon, there is no reason for that.

Then it essentially undermine's the position of the brand. The reason its losing is due to virtually no marketing, and overpriced bundle's. All their good bundle's are going for 400$ (Eg division bundle), and either they don't sell, or they produce almost none of them so they can't sell. A profit strategy in the long term results in a lose of revelance amoung the market. A 249$ price cut would see a huge upshift in sales, and as such software sales should improve. Games are selling 1/2 on the XB1 compared to the PS4, which is why they aren't making money. Hardware isn't mean't to be profitable, trust me, the strategy will fail.

MS needs that Xbox One slim version... like yesterday.

The sooner they can get one of those out, and maybe a another 50$ cut, the better.

I know sony will follow, but if MS are quick about it, they could atleast have a periode of time where they could reap some benefits from such a move.

And lets face it, their console needs a slim version alot more than the PS4 does. Xbox One is huge and kinda badly designed, because it was made big to have room for the kinect. Now that kinect is gone, its just bigger than it needs to be. Also its design.... its not the best looking console ever.

A pretty designed slim model thats smaller and cheaper to produce = short term win, which the xbox could use.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
barneystinson69 said:

But why not? It was estimated in 2013 it cost 380$ to make an XB1. Its been 3 years, and the XB1's hardware is already dated. I'd say its below 300$ at this point, so what exactly is the issue? Software has always been the place to make money, but its clear Microsoft isn't thinking that way. Following the PS4's price has been a disaster thus far, and it shows. They where flat in 2015 in terms of sales compared to 2014, and this year is showing the same picture. 2017 will likely be a large decline, and after that it'll be selling like garbage. Also no third party marketing deals and games going to PC = no relevance to market.

Good points. I guess we'll just have to wait it out. This could be the peak year (unless $299 does wonders for them - which is possible). 

I expect PS4 to be $299 at the end of this year, and Xb one only has a chance of significantly improving sales if it is $50 cheaper than PS4. The correct price point for Xb one is $50 less than PS4, because it is widely regarded as being a less powerful console, and hence selling at the same price as the more powerful console does not make sense in the mind of the consumer.

There's a couple of reasons Sony might not do another $50 price cut 1) it doesn't want to create an expectation of annual price cuts, though given they went 2 years without a price cut people shouldn't expect it; 2) they don;t think they could meet the demand a $299 PS4 would generate.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

FE fates on it's way to being a million seller.

Good to see xbo over 20ml.
Wii U need better stock in japan.
As for ps4 theres nothing i can say that hasn't been said.

binary solo said:

I expect PS4 to be $299 at the end of this year, and Xb one only has a chance of significantly improving sales if it is $50 cheaper than PS4. The correct price point for Xb one is $50 less than PS4

? I can walk into a shop here and get an XBox One (+2 games) for $279-$299 (that INCLUDES taxes and store margins), while the PS4 sits around $329-$349 (NO game). The X1 has been AT LEAST $50 cheaper over here since the Huns invaded Europe sometimes in 375ac, so your argument is somewhat strange.

As a general note, another argument that has often been made here is the "MS goes for profit, not for numbers" mantra. Granted they no longer lose a shitton of money by having removed the Kinect2, but they have probably been selling XBox1s around manufacturing costs for quite a while now. And mass manufacturing gets MORE expensive the fewer gadgets you make. Another pricecut by MS would mean losing money again on a product, by principle, and that is something Nadella obviously stopped.

The good lord has blessed us with hardware number. 54% marketshare is coming. 3DS outsold PS4 in France on Feb 13th.