By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Now that we know more, Starfox Zero sales predictions

I expect lifetime sales to be...

500k or less 33 12.36%

500k - 1m 95 35.58%

1m - 1.5m 102 38.20%

Over 1.5m 37 13.86%

Total:267

Around the Network

The nostalgia factor in EU and Japan is not very big and the game will have low sales there. If 10% of the North American Wii U owners buy the game the total sales will be ~600k.

mZuzek said:

Star Fox Command was a handheld game, unlike any other Star Fox games before it - the series doesn't belong on handhelds in the eyes of most. Command was also not being developed by Nintendo, just like Adventures and Assault (aka two huge disappointments for the fans), and it was clearly another disappointing game. People were sick of the franchise because they just got two crappy games in a few years, and now they were getting another crappy game, except this time an unambitious one on a handheld. The gameplay was as close to Star Fox 64 as Assault's.

Star Fox Zero is going to be good. Maybe it won't get a very good metacritic score, and maybe a lot of people will say it's just a decent game, but as a Star Fox game, it's going to be the first good one in 19 years. It stays true to everything the franchise was always about back in the 90's, it's being directed by the original creator of the series, and it's focusing on the only classic story of Star Fox instead of continuing the stupid canon they had going in the 2000's. That is, it's focusing on gameplay ahead of story, and that's good. People know all of this. People know this is the first true Star Fox game since 1997, and that's why people are hyped for it.

You say you're not talking about what "you think of the game", but it's clear your bias shows in the way you're looking at other people's views on the game... and well, maybe mine is, too. But to me at least, I'm not seeing anywhere near as much skepticism about the game as you are. What I see is a lot of people convinced that the game is going to be good, fun, and a return to form for the Star Fox franchise. I think this game is easily getting 80+ on metacritic and I also think 1 million units sold is as guaranteed as it gets.

I guess we'll see then. I don't think my bias is showing at all, though. Pier of IGN isn't thrilled about the game and doesn't see much improvement, Andre from Gamexplain is only cautiously optimistic about it, Tim Getty's isn't looking forward to the controls at all.

I definitely don't see it hitting an 80 on Metacritic. I'd be suprised if it hit 75.

it's going to sell at least 2 millions.
-WiiU players are hungry
-Nothing else to buy when the game releases
-It's Starfox

Now, I think it's going to be a very average game that will benefit from the "Nintendo clemency" from gamers and reviewers.

Looks good, but is still a Star Fox game. 500,000 - 1M lifetime.

Around the Network
PAOerfulone said:
Somewhere between 1-1.5 million is a safe bet.
Fans have waited 18 years for this game and the distance in time between releases could draw in some new fans to the series.

Fixed that for ya. ;)

On topic, I want to say 500k-1mil. There will be a lot of folks like myself who will buy the crap out of this game because of the aforementioned long wait, but I think the negative reaction from E3 and all those months after for that perception to stick will hurt it too. A lot of folks still have their heads in the sand or up their ass and can't be convinced that the game has come a long way since then, and probably even want to see it fail to prove themselves right.

First week 350-400k. Lifetime 1.3 million.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

im gonna digitally download it since I have 50 dollars left from when I bought my wii u i put 100 in on day one lol. but ended up getting physical disc's most of the time. what i used with the online was old games like snes and ORI and the blind forest, duck tails etc.

Between 1m. and 1.5m.

Lyrics: He He He He Ha Ha Ha!                                                                  

800k, here's why:

-The game looks like trash. Everyone says the graphics improved, but the game still looks awful for a 2016 game. Did they show improvement? a bit. Does that mean the game looks great now? Absolutely not. The game simply went from unbearable gamecube level to barely passable. Why would anyone want to buy an awful looking rail shooter when they can get games like smash bros, splatoon, pikmin, or DKTF (all of which look way better than starfox).

-The game's audience is limited. It's not a multiplayer game so it won't have the same appeal as smash bros/mario kart/splatoon. Most kids today don't even know about starfox beyond smash bros, so don't expect them to make a significant impact. Most of the fans who "waited for 18 years" have most likely moved on. Most casuals probably don't want to play a single player rail shooter about animals in space. So who does this game appeal to? The diehard Nintendo fans that desperately want the old starfox to make a significant comeback.

-The wii u successor will be out in the next few months/next year, thus killing starfox zero's legs.

The only reason why this game won't be a dramatic flop is because Nintendo is bound to do a reasonable amount of marketing giving this game a reasonable launch