By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
BenKenobi88 said:
Game_boy said:
BenKenobi88 said:

I've never used OSX other than a few college classes. It wasn't bad, it was awkward because I had to learn it as I went.

But other than that, I haven't used Macs, and I can still say I prefer PCs, because they're cheaper, I can build them how I want them, and most importantly, I can play games.

I love playing games on my PC, and I'm not going to spend a fortune on a Mac to get a mediocre gaming system. I'm good with my $500 PC and $170 22" monitor that lets me play TF2 on max settings.

And Linux? Do you have an opinion on that?

Uh what about Linux? This thread was about Mac vs. PC I thought. I don't care about Linux. I bet some of them like Ubuntu might be nice to use, but I prefer the Windows support. Windows may suck, but I have no issues using it, and it has the support for all the programs and games, no extra work required.

PCs with Windows are easy to use, because everything uses Windows, especially games. Microsoft sucks, sure, and Windows has problems, but I find it easy to use.

PCs are cheap, they are CHEEEEEEEAP. I can build a PC that is much faster than a Mac, and I'm not just talking about games, for TONS, TONS, TONS cheaper. There's no argument there...any Mac fan that tries to refute it always brings up Dell prices, and that's not what I'm talking about.

PCs are easy to upgrade, and reselling is not an issue for me, because I wouldn't resell any of my stuff...I always pass my computers on to relatives and friends, because it's usually better than their current PC. That only happens about once every 4-5 years amongst me and my friends.

I suppose when anyone says Mac vs PC that Mac OSx vs Windows is what most people automatically think about.

Yes

Around the Network

Mac's. There is nothing I can do on a "PC" that I can't do on a Mac. My Mac runs OSX/XP/Vista (I don't run Vista, but I could).

This means Mac = everything. "PC" = everything but OSX (and OSX is the best part of "everything" :p)

I could go into a hundred reasons why a Mac is better, but the simple fact that a Mac is “PC+more” means it’s better.

For CAD and 3D modeling it is Red Hat all the way if you need the hardcore hardware to go along with it.
Palladin, you probably know this but the widescreen displays are not limitied to mac and neither is extended desktop(more than one monitor).
Criticizing macs for lack of Software is a bit weak there are many suites available for Mac and you can do at least 95% of things you can on a PC on a Mac. that is the important thing the drawback being you have less ways to do that.

TheRealMafoo said:
Mac's. There is nothing I can do on a "PC" that I can't do on a Mac. My Mac runs OSX/XP/Vista (I don't run Vista, but I could).

This means Mac = everything. "PC" = everything but OSX (and OSX is the best part of "everything" :p)

I could go into a hundred reasons why a Mac is better, but the simple fact that a Mac is “PC+more” means it’s better.

PCs can run OSX as well.

There goes your argument.

The fact is, Macs and PCs are both just a bunch of hardware, and you could tack nearly any OS onto the hardware.

But Macs have locked-in hardware, you can't upgrade it, you can't get a gaming-quality computer cheaply, you can't buy individual parts at all...

So I don't understand why anyone would buy Mac hardware, other than its design.  And let me tell you, I'm not going to spend an extra $1000 to get my PC rig to fit inside my monitor, or be super-thin.

I GLADLY run a big rig with tons of fans, they're not too loud, and they have cool LEDs...it's not the picture of sleek and sexy, but I'm not gonna spend $1000 extra for that. 

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:

PCs are cheap, they are CHEEEEEEEAP.  I can build a PC that is much faster than a Mac, and I'm not just talking about games, for TONS, TONS, TONS cheaper.  There's no argument there...any Mac fan that tries to refute it always brings up Dell prices, and that's not what I'm talking about.

Ok, you have $7,700 to spend, build me:

8 core 3.2 Ghz Xeon
2GB ram (Expandable to 36GIG)
4TB Raid system (inside the case) with 1 hour battery backup built in. (and 384MB cache)
4x ATI Radion HD2600 XT cards
802.11n/Bluetooth
Two independent 10/100/1000BASE-T Ethernet (RJ-45) interfaces with support for jumbo frames
16x Double-layer DVD writer
Two Firewire 800 and two Firewire 400 ports.

Good luck finding another system that can even do that, let alone for under 8 grand.

Around the Network

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant
Surprised no one posted this yet.

BenKenobi88 said:
TheRealMafoo said:

PCs can run OSX as well.

There goes your argument.

The fact is, Macs and PCs are both just a bunch of hardware, and you could tack nearly any OS onto the hardware.

But Macs have locked-in hardware, you can't upgrade it, you can't get a gaming-quality computer cheaply, you can't buy individual parts at all...

So I don't understand why anyone would buy Mac hardware, other than its design.  And let me tell you, I'm not going to spend an extra $1000 to get my PC rig to fit inside my monitor, or be super-thin.

I GLADLY run a big rig with tons of fans, they're not too loud, and they have cool LEDs...it's not the picture of sleek and sexy, but I'm not gonna spend $1000 extra for that. 

If you’re a criminal. Not legally.

And I would never buy, personally, a Mac Desktop. They just don't have anything in my market segment. I don't want a screen built in, and I don't want to start out at $2,800. That does not mean if it's what you want, it's a bad deal. It's still very reasonable, it's just targeting an audience that's not you or me.

The Laptop market is where Apple shines in the mainstream. Mainly because it's locked hardware no matter what laptop you buy.

Well hell, laptops are a different story.

I wouldn't ever play games on ANY laptop.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

redspear said:
For CAD and 3D modeling it is Red Hat all the way if you need the hardcore hardware to go along with it.
Palladin, you probably know this but the widescreen displays are not limitied to mac and neither is extended desktop(more than one monitor).
Criticizing macs for lack of Software is a bit weak there are many suites available for Mac and you can do at least 95% of things you can on a PC on a Mac. that is the important thing the drawback being you have less ways to do that.

lol, I was talking about the computers on campus. I don't think there are any widescreen PC's on campus, but every Mac has a widescreen display. 

TheRealMafoo said:
BenKenobi88 said:

PCs are cheap, they are CHEEEEEEEAP. I can build a PC that is much faster than a Mac, and I'm not just talking about games, for TONS, TONS, TONS cheaper. There's no argument there...any Mac fan that tries to refute it always brings up Dell prices, and that's not what I'm talking about.

Ok, you have $7,700 to spend, build me:

8 core 3.2 Ghz Xeon
2GB ram (Expandable to 36GIG)
4TB Raid system (inside the case) with 1 hour battery backup built in. (and 384MB cache)
4x ATI Radion HD2600 XT cards
802.11n/Bluetooth
Two independent 10/100/1000BASE-T Ethernet (RJ-45) interfaces with support for jumbo frames
16x Double-layer DVD writer
Two Firewire 800 and two Firewire 400 ports.

Good luck finding another system that can even do that, let alone for under 8 grand.

That system is stupid. The point of building your own rig is to save money and build a rig that can give you the best bang for your buck.

An 8 core 3.2 GHz Xeon is not good for gaming, and it's pointless money down the drain.
I don't use Firewire.
I don't need more than ONE good card, because it's pretty much proven that an 8800 GT alone is better than 2 HD2600XTs, and FOUR is just plain stupid spending.

I have 2 GB ram, Bluetooth, a DVD burner, an HDTV tuner card (where's that on your list), 2 ethernet ports (one on the mobo and one card), 300 GB HD, 22" widescreen LCD monitor, all the rest for a decent gaming rig, and the grand total was $720.

For another $200 I would have one of the best graphics cards on the market, there would be no point to paying any extra, perhaps another $200-$300 for the best possible processor. I wouldn't need to pay anymore for that either.

So, at most, to get my rig to play the most recent games at the MAX settings, I'd have to spend another $500-$600. That brings the grand total to about $1300...I don't know what kind of tool would have a 7 grand budget for a computer.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM