By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Oh I have one thing I really dislike from Apple, Itunes.

My parents bought one of the new versions of the Ipod Nano and I detest trying to use Itunes to put stuff onto it for her, and I'm the computer person. I'd much rather drag and drop something and have it copy directly onto the music player while I work from my own windows instead of trying to deal with Itunes. I already have a cheap little MP3 player, but as much as I'd like an Ipod, I'd much rather deal with a competitor's product that can do the same things and I don't have to deal with Itunes.

Around the Network

PCs...I can build and maintian mine PCs with no problems, whereas a mac is like a console. With the Duo Core, which I have in my laptop, gaming is possible on a laptop as well, and my dell precision has a nice video card to boot. My wife got a macbook recently, and was a bit put off by the list of things she couldn't do...anyway, she still like her notebook, but she's just not as blinded to...."I want a mac" as she'd been.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

BenKenobi88 said:
TheRealMafoo said:
BenKenobi88 said:

PCs are cheap, they are CHEEEEEEEAP. I can build a PC that is much faster than a Mac, and I'm not just talking about games, for TONS, TONS, TONS cheaper. There's no argument there...any Mac fan that tries to refute it always brings up Dell prices, and that's not what I'm talking about.

Ok, you have $7,700 to spend, build me:

8 core 3.2 Ghz Xeon
2GB ram (Expandable to 36GIG)
4TB Raid system (inside the case) with 1 hour battery backup built in. (and 384MB cache)
4x ATI Radion HD2600 XT cards
802.11n/Bluetooth
Two independent 10/100/1000BASE-T Ethernet (RJ-45) interfaces with support for jumbo frames
16x Double-layer DVD writer
Two Firewire 800 and two Firewire 400 ports.

Good luck finding another system that can even do that, let alone for under 8 grand.

That system is stupid. The point of building your own rig is to save money and build a rig that can give you the best bang for your buck.

An 8 core 3.2 GHz Xeon is not good for gaming, and it's pointless money down the drain.
I don't use Firewire.
I don't need more than ONE good card, because it's pretty much proven that an 8800 GT alone is better than 2 HD2600XTs, and FOUR is just plain stupid spending.

I have 2 GB ram, Bluetooth, a DVD burner, an HDTV tuner card (where's that on your list), 2 ethernet ports (one on the mobo and one card), 300 GB HD, 22" widescreen LCD monitor, all the rest for a decent gaming rig, and the grand total was $720.

For another $200 I would have one of the best graphics cards on the market, there would be no point to paying any extra, perhaps another $200-$300 for the best possible processor. I wouldn't need to pay anymore for that either.

So, at most, to get my rig to play the most recent games at the MAX settings, I'd have to spend another $500-$600. That brings the grand total to about $1300...I don't know what kind of tool would have a 7 grand budget for a computer.

If that's an argument for gaming, then I'll have to insert a 'lol'. Obviously there is a use to have it otherwise it wouldn't be on the Apple Store. Except for maybe a business buying it for a specific use, I'm not seeing why you'd have to waste like $8000 on that. 

IllegalPaladin said:
BenKenobi88 said:

That system is stupid. The point of building your own rig is to save money and build a rig that can give you the best bang for your buck.

An 8 core 3.2 GHz Xeon is not good for gaming, and it's pointless money down the drain.
I don't use Firewire.
I don't need more than ONE good card, because it's pretty much proven that an 8800 GT alone is better than 2 HD2600XTs, and FOUR is just plain stupid spending.

I have 2 GB ram, Bluetooth, a DVD burner, an HDTV tuner card (where's that on your list), 2 ethernet ports (one on the mobo and one card), 300 GB HD, 22" widescreen LCD monitor, all the rest for a decent gaming rig, and the grand total was $720.

For another $200 I would have one of the best graphics cards on the market, there would be no point to paying any extra, perhaps another $200-$300 for the best possible processor. I wouldn't need to pay anymore for that either.

So, at most, to get my rig to play the most recent games at the MAX settings, I'd have to spend another $500-$600. That brings the grand total to about $1300...I don't know what kind of tool would have a 7 grand budget for a computer.

If that's an argument for gaming, then I'll have to insert a 'lol'. Obviously there is a use to have it otherwise it wont be on the Apple Store, but except for maybe a business buying it for a specific use, I'm not seeing why you'd have to waste like $8000 on that.

I assume you meant to quote him, because I'm not spending 8 grand on anything...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:
IllegalPaladin said:
BenKenobi88 said:

If that's an argument for gaming, then I'll have to insert a 'lol'. Obviously there is a use to have it otherwise it wont be on the Apple Store, but except for maybe a business buying it for a specific use, I'm not seeing why you'd have to waste like $8000 on that.

I assume you meant to quote him, because I'm not spending 8 grand on anything...

I included yours because you're refuting the need for an $8000 computer and I'm agreeing with you. His post was there.

Around the Network
heruamon said:
PCs...I can build and maintian mine PCs with no problems, whereas a mac is like a console. With the Duo Core, which I have in my laptop, gaming is possible on a laptop as well, and my dell precision has a nice video card to boot. My wife got a macbook recently, and was a bit put off by the list of things she couldn't do...anyway, she still like her notebook, but she's just not as blinded to...."I want a mac" as she'd been.

I would like to see this list

Yes me too.
Me, I prefer a Mac. But I'm not gonna get into a discussion.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

BenKenobi88 said:
TheRealMafoo said:
BenKenobi88 said:

PCs are cheap, they are CHEEEEEEEAP. I can build a PC that is much faster than a Mac, and I'm not just talking about games, for TONS, TONS, TONS cheaper. There's no argument there...any Mac fan that tries to refute it always brings up Dell prices, and that's not what I'm talking about.

Ok, you have $7,700 to spend, build me:

8 core 3.2 Ghz Xeon
2GB ram (Expandable to 36GIG)
4TB Raid system (inside the case) with 1 hour battery backup built in. (and 384MB cache)
4x ATI Radion HD2600 XT cards
802.11n/Bluetooth
Two independent 10/100/1000BASE-T Ethernet (RJ-45) interfaces with support for jumbo frames
16x Double-layer DVD writer
Two Firewire 800 and two Firewire 400 ports.

Good luck finding another system that can even do that, let alone for under 8 grand.

I don't use Firewire.

Well I also assume that also went for "can't upgrade macs" argument. Mac Pro can be upgraded tons, especially the memory. It is expansive though but it is powerful... It isn't about what you prefer and what you think is stupid but about how would you be able to make a PC that upgradable and with that technology at that price? I don't really care about it but heh... I don't like your answer.

I prefer Macs. I've always been using PCs and always complained about them. Half done OS, many problems all the time... It's driving me mad. I rather have a stable OS and as for gaming needs, Mac has the games I'm interested in. Anyways, I play more games on consoles so it's not a problem really.

I'm planning on getting probably a Macbook Pro. Since I also can bring it with me whenever I go elsewhere in another country or visit my familly.

Psht all of you are dumb, the only gaming rig I need is Tiger Electronics Baseball ;/ that's got everything and more ;/

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

@lolita, Yes well, the fact is it's much cheaper, and I do care about gaming on PCs...if you don't game much on the computer, then I don't care if you buy a Mac.

But for someone who likes PC gaming, Macs make no sense...and it always amuses me when Mac fanboys try to tell me it does make sense.

Macs are too expensive for what I get...I have next to no problems with Windows, perhaps because I'm tech-savvy enough. And not everyone needs to be tech-savvy, so maybe Windows gives them too many problems, and perhaps Macs are better for them.

But for me, the PC gamer, the one who builds his PC from scratch, Macs are pointless. And now I'm just repeating myself.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )