By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - WII U VS. GAMECUBE - CUMULATIVE SALES

AlfredoTurkey said:
As usual, the least popular console becomes my favorite. I have enjoyed Wii-U more than Xbox One and PS4 combined.

And I enjoying Wii U more than 100m seller Wii. :)

Around the Network
StarOcean said:
Back when the Wii U was first announced I was expecting it to reach a bare minimum of 80mil units sold. After the PS4/X1 reveals & initial release my expectation went to 50mil. But the fact this may be its last year before its successor and not even hitting 15 million?! Me from a few years ago would have been VERY surprised

yea with it's strong jpn launch line up I expected Wii U to take Japan by storm and carry that momentum to the EU/US after a bit of a delay (similarly to how the DS took off a while after), as I was sure it would get all the jpn 3rd party support

.. didn't quite play out that way

binary solo said:
I thought 30 million was the minimum Wii U would get. I thought for sure that Nintendo would retain more of its Wii U user base, but unfortunately it went the other way and they even managed to lose some of the GC user base.

The question is, what's NX going to do to attract more of the gamer audience.

Nintendo need to open their eyes and look at their competitors.

"what is this guy doing, that we arnt?"

"why are their projected sales expected to hit 120m, while we might barely hit 16m?"

You cant just ignore competitors, or atleast nintendo cant afford to anymore.

spurgeonryan said:

WII U VS. GAMECUBE - CUMULATIVE SALES

Here is a look at Wii U sales when aligned with Gamecube sales. Wii U is at 12.6m atm, in the same time GCN was >18m

That flat line right after launch means that Wii U basically died in first year.

Miyamotoo said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
As usual, the least popular console becomes my favorite. I have enjoyed Wii-U more than Xbox One and PS4 combined.

And I enjoying Wii U more than 100m seller Wii. :)

Agreed. It's amazing how much better their masterpieces play with actual buttons and analog sticks lol

Around the Network

I think GC was a far better console, VS its competitors compared to WiiU VS PS4 and X1; beautiful piece of hardware, and some of the most advanced games in terms of gameplay, graphics, tech. At that time you could be proud to have a GameCube, but now I woudn't say the same with WiiU. Gamecube was a jewel, too bad people couldn't see that : Star Fox Assault, F-Zero GX, Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, Pikmin, Pikmin 2, Tales of Symphonia, Animal Crossing, Soul Calibur II, Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, Resident Evil 4, Luigi's Mansion, Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Kart Double Dash, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, Super Smash Bros. Melee, and many other great games for that time; what Nintendo did after ? Wii ? The motion controller for Casual...WiiU ? repeating the same games over and over again. Nintendo Wake up !

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

And yet; there's no logic in releasing the NX as soon as possible.

Nate4Drake said:
I think GC was a far better console, VS its competitors; beautiful piece of hardware, and some of the most advanced games in terms of gameplay, graphics, tech. At that time you could be proud to have a GameCube, but now I woudn't say the same with WiiU. Gamecube was a jewel, to bad people couldn't see that : Star Fox Assault, F-Zero GX, Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, Pikmin, Pikmin 2, Tales of Symphonia, Animal Crossing, Soul Calibur II, Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, Resident Evil 4, Luigi's Mansion, Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Kart Double Dash, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, Super Smash Bros. Melee, and many other great games for that time; what Nintendo did after ? Wii ? The motion controller for Casual...WiiU ? repeating the same games over and over again. Nintendo Wake up !

You saying like Wii and Wii U didnt had great games after GC, but isnt true at all, Pikmin 3, W101, Mario 3D World, DKCTF, Mario Kart 8, Hurley Warriors, Bayonetta 2, Smash Bros 4, Yoshi Wolly World, Splatoon, Mario Maker, Xenoblade X, Star Fox Zero, Pokken Tournament, Zelda U...are all great Wii U games.

Miyamotoo said:
spurgeonryan said:

WII U VS. GAMECUBE - CUMULATIVE SALES

Here is a look at Wii U sales when aligned with Gamecube sales. Wii U is at 12.6m atm, in the same time GCN was >18m

That flat line right after launch means that Wii U basically died in first year.

Actually slightly upsetting to see it go from Month 2 to Month 11 without a single injection of life and the fact that the system is now the same price here as the PS4 makes it look like Nintendo don't even care about the platform enough to bring it over to the bargain bin and hope it gets a few sales from inside there.

I understand that Nintendo has a ton of cash in the bank off the back of the success of the Wii and DS brands, but still they have to do more than just let a console sit on a shelf for 10 months in arguably the most important time in its life hoping that it would shift numbers.... dear lord to think that the X1 and PS4 weren't even out then and there was nothing done to try to hammer out a lead.

As for the GC tho, such a beast console, for me it has to be either that or the X360 as favourite console of all times, just so many amazing games, perfect controller (the wavebird), everything from the 3 Different start up sounds to the near haunting OS music, such a good little system. The games which made good use of its hardware are still a joy to play in 2016.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
Miyamotoo said:

Actually slightly upsetting to see it go from Month 2 to Month 11 without a single injection of life and the fact that the system is now the same price here as the PS4 makes it look like Nintendo don't even care about the platform enough to bring it over to the bargain bin and hope it gets a few sales from inside there.

I understand that Nintendo has a ton of cash in the bank off the back of the success of the Wii and DS brands, but still they have to do more than just let a console sit on a shelf for 10 months in arguably the most important time in its life hoping that it would shift numbers.... dear lord to think that the X1 and PS4 weren't even out then and there was nothing done to try to hammer out a lead.

As for the GC tho, such a beast console, for me it has to be either that or the X360 as favourite console of all times, just so many amazing games, perfect controller (the wavebird), everything from the 3 Different start up sounds to the near haunting OS music, such a good little system. The games which made good use of its hardware are still a joy to play in 2016.

Nintendo made too many mistakes with Wii U that couldnt be easily corrected, terrible and confusing marketing and bad name, bad launch titles and 1st year games, software drouth, not appeling gamepad, high price...all that lead to terrible sales after launch, that lead to 3rd party completely abandoning platform, so Wii U basically was dead when X1/PS4 arrive on market and it that time it was almost imposible to revive it without burning tons of cash but even then it couldnt be success.