By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Wii U is sold out all over Japan and Nintendo isn’t talking

Time to move on, NX is coming.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
StarOcean said:

Yeah, I really wonder what the hell the NX really is. I mean, it's almost guaranteed to be a home console, but they could take it so many ways. Will it be what the Wii was to the GC? Being a rearranged Wii U essentially? Will they go traditional like PS/XB (I doubt), or will they do something completely different? That's one thing I do love about Nintendo, they always keep you guessing XD

I feel like it sort of has to be something like the Wii in its focus and marketing at least.  The hardcore market is pretty satisfied with the PS4 at the moment, and it's almost impossible to see Nintendo taking that market away so far into the generation.  Only way I see Nintendo making a comeback is if they can recapture that Wii audience.

That's a dangerous fire they'll be playing with then. I agree though, I feel like they'll be attacking the Wii crowd. It's really risky but if they can catch it it's definitely worth it. If they can even reach N64 numbers it'll be a success in my book

StarOcean said:
JWeinCom said:

I feel like it sort of has to be something like the Wii in its focus and marketing at least.  The hardcore market is pretty satisfied with the PS4 at the moment, and it's almost impossible to see Nintendo taking that market away so far into the generation.  Only way I see Nintendo making a comeback is if they can recapture that Wii audience.

That's a dangerous fire they'll be playing with then. I agree though, I feel like they'll be attacking the Wii crowd. It's really risky but if they can catch it it's definitely worth it. If they can even reach N64 numbers it'll be a success in my book

It's somewhat risky, but at the same time, I can't think of anything less risky.  Making a traditional console may have been a safe bet if they released alongside their rivals, but now?  Not so much.  

Basically Nintendo had a slightly better holiday than they expected.
In Japan they've been keeping production shipments low to avoid excess inventory.
Now they have a shortage and will need to ramp up production again which can take time and be costly.

Basically the Wii U isn't lighting the sales charts on fire in Japan so this is really the only explanation I can think of. It's the worst selling Nintendo console of all time there so theoretically there should be plenty of stock, seems like they just didn't produce enough. Especially when you look at their sales forecast and notice how close they are to hitting it. So it seems that they just produced exactly enough to hit their forecast, not expecting to exceed it. It does look like they may exceed their forecast, but probably not by much. 

StarOcean said:
OneKartVita said:

Will this fast track the ps4 to first place in Japan?  Home consoles obviously 

Depends most importantly on what releases on PS4 this year and how relevant they are to the Japanese market and what the NX is. We'll have the answer to that question by the end of E3. Too early to assume anything right now

I mean if they only supply 3/4/5k a week ps4 is just going to race past it.  It's average is very high and it can easily gain 20k+ a week or 100k a month.  

I always said the month Persona 5 releases in if it's the summer but the more time passes the more I fear that won't make a summer release.  

Just on a side note do you think they're happy to keep supply really low so when the NX releases the pent up demand mind jump to that console instead?  Release a splatoon and Mario maker NX and they'd probably be happy to get the NX and forget about the Wii U.  

Around the Network

i think the Wii U isnt sold out in Japan but its Japanese people moving to PlayStation. Look at the 3DS numebrs, there are plenty of them and this system is dropping like hell over there too

Amazon Japan has plenty of Super Mario Maker Wii U Bundles. Its just the splaton bundle selling out but as we know SMM is just as big over there on Wii U

http://www.amazon.co.jp/Wii-U-プレミアムセット-shiro-WUP-S-WAFC/dp/B00D3GQC7S/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1457313603&sr=1-1&keywords=wii+u

Unless its sold out at launch or near it then its not a good sign.

ZhugeEX said:

Basically Nintendo had a slightly better holiday than they expected.
In Japan they've been keeping production shipments low to avoid excess inventory.
Now they have a shortage and will need to ramp up production again which can take time and be costly.

Basically the Wii U isn't lighting the sales charts on fire in Japan so this is really the only explanation I can think of. It's the worst selling Nintendo console of all time there so theoretically there should be plenty of stock, seems like they just didn't produce enough. Especially when you look at their sales forecast and notice how close they are to hitting it. So it seems that they just produced exactly enough to hit their forecast, not expecting to exceed it. It does look like they may exceed their forecast, but probably not by much. 

Slightly... hahaha yeah They were definately expecting a 100k selling week and holidays similar to 2013, wii u's best year, ( when it had killer bundles/offers, which probably you don't remember) and smashing 2014. That with pricey bundles of splatoon and super mario maker. Come on zhuge, rethink it...

Ruler said:

i think the Wii U isnt sold out in Japan but its Japanese people moving to PlayStation. Look at the 3DS numebrs, there are plenty of them and this system is dropping like hell over there too

Amazon Japan has plenty of Super Mario Maker Wii U Bundles. Its just the splaton bundle selling out but as we know SMM is just as big over there on Wii U

http://www.amazon.co.jp/Wii-U-プレミアムセット-shiro-WUP-S-WAFC/dp/B00D3GQC7S/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1457313603&sr=1-1&keywords=wii+u

-_- There are clear reports of Wii U being out of stock in japan. Amazon Japan is not a good indacator of the system stock.

Follow my Gaming and Graphics Business on facebook and on Twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=101878997952596&ref=br_rs

https://twitter.com/KellyGGWD

RolStoppable said:
spurgeonryan said:

It was holding above 10 thousand for a long time. Which was what many seemed to be holding onto for hope or something. Then it crashed. What has it been? A month below 10,000.

Above 10k and below .20k isn't anything to be happy about, unless you have already lowered your expectations to the point where you have accepted failure overall.

Even without the shortage of supply and continued sales of above 10k per week, it's not like Nintendo's plans would have changed one bit.

So, for you, if something better/ way better is possible... Lets not pursue it because still it's not that great?

Are you a negativist on all phases of your life?