By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Wii U is sold out all over Japan and Nintendo isn’t talking

uran10 said:
Ruler said:

i think the Wii U isnt sold out in Japan but its Japanese people moving to PlayStation. Look at the 3DS numebrs, there are plenty of them and this system is dropping like hell over there too

Amazon Japan has plenty of Super Mario Maker Wii U Bundles. Its just the splaton bundle selling out but as we know SMM is just as big over there on Wii U

http://www.amazon.co.jp/Wii-U-プレミアムセット-shiro-WUP-S-WAFC/dp/B00D3GQC7S/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1457313603&sr=1-1&keywords=wii+u

-_- There are clear reports of Wii U being out of stock in japan. Amazon Japan is not a good indacator of the system stock.

they are like a 100 offers, those reports are all western

Around the Network
tak13 said:
ZhugeEX said:

Basically Nintendo had a slightly better holiday than they expected.
In Japan they've been keeping production shipments low to avoid excess inventory.
Now they have a shortage and will need to ramp up production again which can take time and be costly.

Basically the Wii U isn't lighting the sales charts on fire in Japan so this is really the only explanation I can think of. It's the worst selling Nintendo console of all time there so theoretically there should be plenty of stock, seems like they just didn't produce enough. Especially when you look at their sales forecast and notice how close they are to hitting it. So it seems that they just produced exactly enough to hit their forecast, not expecting to exceed it. It does look like they may exceed their forecast, but probably not by much. 

Slightly... hahaha yeah They were definately expecting a 100k selling week and holidays similar to 2013, wii u's best year, ( when it had killer bundles/offers, which probably you don't remember) and smashing 2014. That with pricey bundles of splatoon and super mario maker. Come on zhuge, rethink it...

What are you trying to say?

Ruler said:

i think the Wii U isnt sold out in Japan but its Japanese people moving to PlayStation. Look at the 3DS numebrs, there are plenty of them and this system is dropping like hell over there too

Amazon Japan has plenty of Super Mario Maker Wii U Bundles. Its just the splaton bundle selling out but as we know SMM is just as big over there on Wii U

http://www.amazon.co.jp/Wii-U-プレミアムセット-shiro-WUP-S-WAFC/dp/B00D3GQC7S/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1457313603&sr=1-1&keywords=wii+u

But the 3DS is five years old. Pretty much most of the consumers who are buying the new releases already have a version of the 3DS. Though idk the sales of the 2DS, especially since it was released along with the re-release of the original Pokemon games.

ZhugeEX said:
tak13 said:

Slightly... hahaha yeah They were definately expecting a 100k selling week and holidays similar to 2013, wii u's best year, ( when it had killer bundles/offers, which probably you don't remember) and smashing 2014. And that with pricey bundles of splatoon and super mario maker. Come on zhuge, rethink it...

That wii u didn't have a slightly better holiday than what nintendo was expecting as you say, but exceptionally better...

JWeinCom said:
Another sign the system is on its way out.

because?

Around the Network

I think Nintendo has basically manufactured the last of their Wii Us already, so whatever they have now they're not going to be making any more, probably because they likely are getting bent over by their supply chain manufacturers (Sony in part owns the only factory that can make the Wii U's eDRAM or something).

There could be other issues at play here too, since the Wii U is a relative failure of a product, the supply chain manufacturers probably want a high minimum order from Nintendo, and Nintendo may be reluctant to get locked into too many Wii Us out of fear of being stuck with unsold inventory with the NX coming. 

In that scenario Nintendo then likely has to eat a loss to get rid of that unsold stock. 

tak13 said:
ZhugeEX said:

That wii u didn't have a slightly better holiday than what nintendo was expecting as you say, but exceptionally better...

Well yeh, which is what I was saying. 

The reason I didn't use the word exceptionally better was because I was comparing to prior year + trying to keep sales in context of other systems. The Wii U had a great holiday, better than Nintendo would have expected, which is why there is a shortage. But the actuall sell through numbers aren't anything to shout about. 

ZhugeEX said:
tak13 said:

The reason I didn't use the word exceptionally better was because I was comparing to prior year + trying to keep sales in context of other systems. The Wii U had a great holiday, better than Nintendo would have expected, which is why there is a shortage. But the actuall sell through numbers aren't anything to shout about. 

double post*

ZhugeEX said:
tak13 said:

Ah! The way you worded, confused me. I puzzled. Anyway, I hope that they will release a plenty of pokken tournament bundles ( a great time to stuff the channels right?)

Perhaps they are clearing stock for the upcoming NX, but if that's the case, it seems too soon to do that. Hopefully they restock the Wii U soon. It's losing out on sales by the week.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread