By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Billionaire sentenced to death

veritaz said:
Azuren said:

Are you kidding me? Billions embezzled and death is overboard?

To put things in perspective the poverty line (last I checked) in America was around 40K. That means every $200,000 could support 5 people a year above the poverty line. Every million? 25 people.

Now, there are a thousand million in a billion. 25x1000=25,000

Twenty-five THOUSAND people can be supported above the poverty line for a year on one billion dollars. This guy helped take away at the very least two (since billions is plural and at least more than one), which means this guy essentially robbed FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE of an entire year's pay. 

A bit overboard? It's unfortunate they can only kill him once. 

Who says any of that money was going to help poverty stricken families. You make it sound like he personally broke into fifty thousand houses and robbed them. The guy deserves a harsh punishment but death is a bit much for embezzling money in a company. At least let him do hard labor to try and work off some of the money instead of killing him.

Even if only half ofthat money went back into circulation, that's still an obscene number of people he had essentially stolen from. And he's rich enough that anything but death will mean he can only escape it. People who are willing to embezzle enough money to support that many lives are worthless to the human genepool.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network

Thank you, Iran! Western society could learn from this. That just because youre rich doesnt mean you can pay your way above the law.

Ka-pi96 said:
So... is there some kind of double standard here or something?

Seems some people couldn't give a fuck about killing millions of people by invading a country yet stealing money deserves the death penalty because it's 'like killing millions of people'?

If you're referring to my Mexico posts, then maybe a little bit, yeah. Though the resposne to such a suggestion was due to the fact that Mexico is overrun with corruption and cartel, forcing many to leave their country to find better lives. It'd be better if they could solve their own problems, but they've proven incapable of doing so.

That said, this very comment invites off-topic discussion.

JWeinCom said:
As much as "billionare gets what is coming to him", has a nice ring to it, it's pretty shocking that people are so quick to declare a man deserves death. I highly doubt that many people have done the research on this, and I'm also surprised that people are so quick to trust the judgment of the Iranian government.

I actually didn't make a judgement on the entire case yet. All I know currently is from the CNN article.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Azuren said:

Even if only half ofthat money went back into circulation, that's still an obscene number of people he had essentially stolen from. And he's rich enough that anything but death will mean he can only escape it. People who are willing to embezzle enough money to support that many lives are worthless to the human genepool.

Why would that money go back into circulation?  I don't understand what you mean with that.  That money would either stay with the company or it would be split more evenly among investors, management, and probably as bribes to government officials.  Either way, it was always going to end up in a high-end bank account.  Basically, he was stealing from other rich people.

Also, the idea that people are "thanking" the Iranian government ... I don't even know what to say.  This is the government that had supposedly been using this guy for corrupt purposes of their own, such as money laundering, bypassing sanctions, and nuclear material aquisition.  They are more corrupt than he is; if they turned on him, it was probably more that they wanted to seize his wealth for themselves or perhaps they thought he was somehow dangerous to them.  The Iranian government doesn't give a damn about that money reaching the common people.

This is almost certainly political and we probably know next to nothing about the actual facts in this case.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
Azuren said:

Why would that money go back into circulation?  I don't understand what you mean with that.  That money would either stay with the company or it would be split more evenly among investors, management, and probably as bribes to government officials.  Either way, it was always going to end up in a high-end bank account.  Basically, he was stealing from other rich people.

Also, the idea that people are "thanking" the Iranian government ... I don't even know what to say.  This is the government that had supposedly been using this guy for corrupt purposes of their own, such as money laundering, bypassing sanctions, and nuclear material aquisition.  They are more corrupt than he is; if they turned on him, it was probably more that they wanted to seize his wealth for themselves or perhaps they thought he was somehow dangerous to them.  The Iranian government doesn't give a damn about that money reaching the common people.

This is almost certainly political and we probably know next to nothing about the actual facts in this case.

Salaries, services, maintenance, cost of goods.... If you think money goes into a company andt stays there forever, then I don't really have much else to say.

NobleTeam360 said:

Seems a bit overboard to get death for "corruption" charges.

Not really,  cost effective.

Talking about Iran, I wouldn't be surprised if there even wasn't any crime. That said, if there is a crime, it's good no one is immune to charges (and convictions). I don't agree about death penalties in general, but this seems to be at the appropriate end of the penalty scale: Corruption is a huge problem worldwide, and needs to be taken more seriously.

Ka-pi96 said:
Azuren said:

Salaries, services, maintenance, cost of goods.... If you think money goes into a company andt stays there forever, then I don't really have much else to say.

Has the company declared bunkruptcy yet?

If not then it's safe to assume that those things were still paid regardless of what he took out.

Except no, they could have hired more people and afforded other services. Instead, they were billions behind and likely has to cut operation costs.

Trump You're next