By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - how big of a boost will the MGS4 bundle give?

Week one + 50k in Japan (MHF2 moved around 70k extra PSPs). In EU and USA people will buy a bit less...
I would say +35k. In the long run we can expect figures to gain around extra 7k-10k a week in both EU and USA. Japan can easily go back to ~ 20k few weeks later... PSP with two decent games (MHF2 and CCFFVII) really turned negative pace into positive though.

Week one: 70k (JP) + 100k (Others) + 90k (USA) = 260k

Around the Network

@fastra

as I said I cannot predict BEFORE GTA IV is out..

We need to know what the sales will be after GTA IV, how higher they will be..

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

u have no gut feeling about how many people will buy a ps3 specifically for mgs4? ie they are holding off now, but once mgs4 comes out, they will take the plunge at the current pricing? that's what this thread is for

what about riot and capt preferences?  u both said 'big boost' but have yet to define what that means 

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp

@fastra

yes that may happen as SONY announced the bundle so early, so maybe some people will be holding off....and so resulting in a huge boost then

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Considering that it will also be the reintroduction of the popular 80gb unit, I imagine that it'll be a sizable boost. No clue on what the actual numbers will be.

Around the Network

a good boost, nothing significant but noticable.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions
Garcian Smith said:
Probably not much. I'd guess that most of the MGS fanboys out there already bought a PS3 at launch.

Hmm... Where have I heard that line of reasoning before?  Oh yeah, when Halo 3 came out and Sony fans were saying that all Halo fanboys already got their 360.

Judging by various gaming forums and seeing all the "I will buy a PS3 for the release of this game," it might be a really big boost. 

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Man o' man all you guys are plain stupid, I'd say the PS3 box by itself will be about a foot tall, maybe a foot and a half, I expect the MGS4 bundle to be no different.

So yeah about a foot taller, not THAT much of a boost.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Fastrabbit09 said:
metal gear solid/ps: 5.59mil
metal gear solid 2/ps2: 5.56mil

metal gear solid 3/ps2: 3.96mil

it has been in a decline since the first, even tho larger userbase for each subsequent release

now, mgs4 may do better than mgs3 because ps3 owners will be more likely to buy it as one of a dozen good games instead of one of 100 good games

however, i don't think it is much of a system seller...those who are most likely to buy it already have a ps3...others who would like to buy it won't buy a ps3 until price goes down...a decent amount will buy it, but it won't bump up sales more than a few hundred k max

while it has great name recognition, it just isn't a huge seller like u would think

Those two numbers are the only ones that matter (bolded). MGS3 was a prequel that a few were impressed with. (Came around the same time as Halo 2, so no one noticed that MGS3 was out other than the hardcore fans.) MGS4 will likely hit 5 million Lifetime, maybe even 6 million.

The bundle will have a small impact in Japan, but the US and Europe is a different story.

Ah, the good old "everyone who intends to buy game (insert title here) already own the console.
MGS will give the PS3 a massive ww boost I think, possibly spurring sustained ww sales of 250-300k for over a month and a permanent boost of 10-15% ww.
It is one of the most universally anticipated titles this year and even so far this gen ever since its announcement.
People can try to disarm the PS3 and its games all they want (and they want to), but there are some very good and highly rated and sold series on it who are bound to make an impact on hardware sales this year.