By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - how big of a boost will the MGS4 bundle give?

50 - 75k WW.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
MGS will give the PS3 a massive ww boost I think, possibly spurring sustained ww sales of 250-300k for over a month and a permanent boost of 10-15% ww.

a permanent 10-15% boost for a console that should sell 10+mil this year is 1-1.5mil/year

so over 9 years (10 year plan!), that's 9-13.5mil boost for a game that has never sold 6mil on a much larger userbase...besides the few million people who already own a ps3 that will buy mgs4....so u  think that mgs4 will sell 10-15mil lifetime??

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp

If you're going to buy a console for the game, would you buy it and the console without at least trying the game? Thats ONE expensive game if thats all you buy.

Tease.

A short boost in us/uk as most people that want MGS4 got it during the price cut. Japan should see a more solid boost as they love different color consoles.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Fastrabbit09 said:
Mummelmann said:
MGS will give the PS3 a massive ww boost I think, possibly spurring sustained ww sales of 250-300k for over a month and a permanent boost of 10-15% ww.

a permanent 10-15% boost for a console that should sell 10+mil this year is 1-1.5mil/year

so over 9 years (10 year plan!), that's 9-13.5mil boost for a game that has never sold 6mil on a much larger userbase...besides the few million people who already own a ps3 that will buy mgs4....so u  think that mgs4 will sell 10-15mil lifetime??

The effect that metal gear will have on the ps3 including the initial boost with the long term effect will be huge. It goes beyong just the game. The garnered attention from this game's success along with the rest of this years line up will bring many more titles and recognition to ps3 that wouldn't otherwise happen. So yea MGS4 may just bring an additional 10mil ps3s this gen. It's the first huge domino piece that will start the effect.

Around the Network

A big ass boost and a sustained boost as well.

A 200K boost when it launches and a permanent 50K worldwide boost afterwards.

Fastrabbit09 said:
Mummelmann said:

Both MGS and MGS2 have most likely shipped over 7 million units.  And unless the wording is wrong, that does not include Substance.  Granted the first link says over 7 million for MGS, while the second claims over 6 million sold.

http://sec.edgar-online.com/2004/07/22/0001193125-04-122301/section5.asp
http://www.contactmusic.com/new/home.nsf/webpages/metalgearsolid3x21x05x03

Not to mention from what I've seen personally and online, a lot of the people excited about it are new to the series.

i think ps3 will have a big boost, i have said it many times, the only game that makes me want a PS3 is MGS4, and a lot of people thinks like me

MGS 4 will be a sign of things to come to the PS3, and with the outlook of getting more games of the same caliber (GT 5, FFXIII) sales will get a good boost I think.
After MGS, there are still multiple big titles slated for release that will help increase and drive the boost.
Do I think it could sell 10 million lt? Possibly, but like I said; it will be a harbinger that'll make many hop on for a reunion with some of the most loved game series in the world today.
These are just words based on just thoughts from a person who has no more insight than the next on the matter, but I try to stay positive and perhaps Sony can reclaim some of the lost faith in the public (and me) and continue bringing us (and me) great games for many more years!