By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - It's safe to say that Nintendo won't launch new hardware this year.

When will we see a see a new Nintendo system?

Handheld, 2016 60 22.14%

Home console, 2016 109 40.22%

Handheld, 2017 15 5.54%

Home console, 2017 17 6.27%

Handheld + Home console, 2017 58 21.40%

later 12 4.43%

Total:271
Uabit said:
JWeinCom said:

As an atheist I say this with the utmost delicacy.  Stfu.

Just like I wouldn't want people coming into topics to preach about Jesus, I'm sure religious people don't want atheists coming in to spout their beliefs.  Keep your comments about religion in the appropriate places.  You're giving the rest of us a bad name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_comedy

It's not funny.

Around the Network

I have no idea why people even want a 5th year for Wii U when it's 4th year is already as barren as the Sahara.

Don't you guys remember how much Wii's 2012 sucked? Why would you want a repeat of that?

Soundwave said:
Wii U and 3DS shipments are very poor this year this is more likely a case of Nintendo trying to protect whatever shipments they have left for both this fiscal year, so probably nothing until the fiscal year ends (Mar 31).

There's also the fact that Nintendo is no longer selling refurbished Wii U's. The lowest priced one was $200.

Imagine how bad next fiscal year will be without new hardware.

3DS+Wii U shipments FY12-17.40m

3DS+Wii U shipments FY13-14.97m

3DS+Wii U shipments FY14-12.11m

3DS+Wii U shipments FY15-10.00m (projected)

FY16 will be 7-8 million which is awful.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I think Nintendo will annonce they new console for holiday 2016.

Around the Network

Didn't they reveal the 3DS at E3 2010, and launch it 8-9 months later?

Just let it go man. :c

Microsoft revealed the XB1 back in May 2013 and released it in November iirc. It's a common strategy these days to reveal the device near its launch. People these days are too anxious and distracted to keep patiently waiting for a gadget that will take 1 or 2 years to launch... that's why companies have been adopting this strategy lately.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

RolStoppable said:
Mr.GameCrazy said:

Thanks. It doesn't seem like he's directly saying that the NX will be coming next fiscal year, though.

It doesn't?

Do you expect a product to make profits when it is not available for purchase?

"and when we will aim to achieve Nintendo-like profits at a future date." (note: "at a future date" is referring to the entire sentence, not just this fragment)

He doesn't say that NX will bring Nintendo-like profits in the next fiscal year. He wouldn't say that he'll talk about "when we will aim to achieve Nintendo-like profits" at a future date if he intended the statement to be saying "we'll achieve Nintendo-like profits in the next fiscal year".

Mind you, I think Nintendo will launch new hardware this (or rather, next fiscal) year... but I'm expecting the handheld.

Nintendo has a habit of releasing new Pokemon generations on handhelds around the same time the next handheld is being released. Gold/Silver was a GB game despite the GBC being out for a year. Black/White was a DS game despite the 3DS releasing a few months later (in Japan).

Nintendo also has a history of revealing new handhelds within a year of release. They did it with the 3DS (announced March 2010, released February 2011), and they did it with DS (announced January 2004, released November 2004). The last time a new handheld was announced more than a year before release was the GBA, and that was because they delayed release - when they announced the GBA in September 1999, it was scheduled to release in Japan in August 2000.

On the other hand, they generally give about a year and a half between (real) announcement and release of console hardware. The Wii U was announced in April 2011 for a November 2012 release. The Wii, then still under the codename "Revolution", was revealed in September 2005 after "official" teasing before that. No games, but our first real information about it. The GameCube, under the name "Project Dolphin", was announced almost 2.5 years before release (May 1999), and was fully unveiled 13 months before release (August 2000). The Nintendo 64 ("Ultra 64") was first seen about 2 years before release.

Note that the NX hasn't actually been announced, yet, even under the code name. It was mentioned in a slide during one of the investor meetings, and that's it. All of the remaining information from Nintendo have been from investors asking about it and Nintendo acknowledging its existence. We know literally nothing about it except for the codename itself, and that it'll be dedicated gaming hardware. There are rumours everywhere, but nothing at all from Nintendo. For Nintendo to stay this quiet about a home console this close to the supposed launch would be unprecedented. Them not getting early dev kits to developers until about 8 months before the supposed launch would also be unprecedented for a home console.

On the other hand, if it's a handheld that is being released this year, then it's entirely par for the course for Nintendo. First announcement would probably come in the next month or two (March or April), a full reveal at E3, and then a release somewhere between September and March. And if NX turns out to be both a handheld and a console as two products under the same name, then the same announcement for a late-2017 launch for the console would align well with their history with home consoles, too.

It's also a perfect fit to their generation lengths - 5 years is the typical length for Nintendo home consoles (Wii being an exception, that can be attributed to its huge sales), while a handheld release this year would make perfect sense after factoring in performance of 3DS relative to DS and other previous handhelds (noting that DS was a "third pillar" on release, was intended to sit next to the GBA not replace it - hence GBA's support from Nintendo up until 2006).

Those who keep insisting that Nintendo must launch NX home console this year because of "weak" Wii U performance are ignoring a number of things - they're in profit now, so there's no huge rush. They need to avoid being stuck between generations (and 2016 would be considered "mid-generation" for consoles). They need to get maximal third party support. And they only need one new piece of hardware this year to stimulate their brand - a handheld is more than sufficient, especially since handhelds are where they've traditionally done best. The 3DS, despite performing better than the Wii U, is the one that has broken Nintendo's typical performance, whereas Wii U isn't doing that much worse than previous home consoles (other than Wii). With another year and a half for the Wii U, it would be expected to comfortably make 16 million (assuming minimal boost from games like Pokken and Zelda), I would expect, which isn't that much less than the Gamecube. And if they can keep profits going in the meantime, they're better off delaying the next console to make it as good as it can be, with as much support as possible.

So I expect no NX home console this financial year. Whether the NX handheld will make it this calendar year is difficult to call - it might come early next year.

gabzjmm23 said:
MK game on the handheld soon? if Nintendo unify its system, MK and other stellar games would be available for both HH and HC. But we still don't have details on NX.

end of the year 2016 for HC and march 2017 for the handheld. and people can buy both at $349 - $399.
NX won't sell around $349 when X1 and PS4 would have price cuts and have a better library.

IMO MK in 2016. too soon because MK8 was launched in 2014, but we could definitely see MK9 in 2017.

Also I dont think NX will have price above $299, probably $249-299 price point.

the_dengle said:
Didn't they reveal the 3DS at E3 2010, and launch it 8-9 months later?

Yes, and I think that initial plan was to release it in holiday season E3 2010 but they didnt could to prepare launch of time.