By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - It's safe to say that Nintendo won't launch new hardware this year.

When will we see a see a new Nintendo system?

Handheld, 2016 60 22.14%

Home console, 2016 109 40.22%

Handheld, 2017 15 5.54%

Home console, 2017 17 6.27%

Handheld + Home console, 2017 58 21.40%

later 12 4.43%

Total:271
Einsam_Delphin said:
Vodacixi said:

I think it's gonna be multiplatform. I mean, common sense tells me it has mor probabilities on NX than Wii U. But I have a feeling that it will be like Zelda U.

Nah, Nintendo has long shown they're done supporting the Wii U. Zelda is only multiplatform because they already announced it would come to the Wii U and the backlash otherwise would be huge. Plus Wii U already got a Pikmin game so there's no reason to give it another over helping the NX form it's own identity.

In fact, there is. If as we suspect development started on Wii U, making Pikmin 4 multiplatform should be pretty easy.  With that, they would have another Wii U game without even trying and reduce the backlash they will surely recieve for stop supporting Wii U after only 4 years of life. Also, it would fit in the kind of games Wii U have confirmed for this year: ports, localizations and low budget games. I don't see it THAT unbelieveble

Around the Network

I still believe we'll see a 2016 launch. BELIEVE!

Gone are the days when hardware was announce a year + in advance. The NX will get a summer reveal just like the Xbox One did.

Further more what would they gain from announcing  now versus a few months later (other than a hit in their current hardware sales  right before the end of the fiscal year). It doesn't take more then a few months to promote a system and its games.

NobleTeam360 said:
I still believe we'll see a 2016 launch. BELIEVE!

Team 2016 unite!

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Hiku said:
Gamemaster87 said:

So I'm in desperation because I actually want Nintendo to be successful once again and not like the vast majority of this community?

Oh and btw, there's a difference between a game and a console.

It does come off as desperate when you make a topic title like that, while every single thing points to a holiday 2016 release.
AMD will turn profit on a chip for a new console in the second half of 2016. Some chinese hardware company (I forget the name) said pretty much the same thing. Kimishima also said that Nintendo will make a profit off of NX by the end of the next fiscal year. (March 2017)
There's also the all but confirmed recent leaker who listed Zelda as an NX title in 2016, and that WiiU will have almost half the marketing budget of 3DS this year. If you haven't looked into why people believe his leak, you can check Gameexplain's video on youtube. Long story short, he listed a Pokemon 20th anniversary game as "project niji". And Nintendo had the name "niji" in the URL for the two new Pokemon games. But then they went in and changed this word after news got out about it...
Among many many other things.

It seems the only ones who still believe in a (late) 2017 release are WiiU owners who believe there will be more good games coming out for the system.
But here the reality you need to look at. Nintendo have not started one single new project of quality for the WiiU since some time in early 2014, at the very latest. (The games they showed during E3 2014 must have began development some months before that.)
That's about two years ago now.

If there's any silence you should ask yourself about, it's that one.
That they have to market the NX for any particular amount of time is something you've made up.

Well, I'd bring up the handheld, but the topic at hand refers to no new hardware. And while there have been no new software announced for the Wii U, it could simply be them wanting to waitto have something to announce this year if the NX isn't going to be till next year.

Even beyond that, look at the Wii. It really only had LoZ Skyward Sword to announce at E3 2011, along with some 3DS games. The rest was about the Wii U which would release in 2012. 

Just saying, I was right about the Feb Direct, and I'm not a fortune teller, it's called history. 

Around the Network
Hiku said:
bigtakilla said:

Well, I'd bring up the handheld, but the topic at hand refers to no new hardware. And while there have been no new software announced for the Wii U, it could simply be them wanting to waitto have something to announce this year if the NX isn't going to be till next year.

Even beyond that, look at the Wii. It really only had LoZ Skyward Sword to announce at E3 2011, along with some 3DS games. The rest was about the Wii U which would release in 2012. 

Just saying, I was right about the Feb Direct, and I'm not a fortune teller, it's called history. 

Well regarding the handheld, AMD were talking about a chip for a console. And I believe the chinese company refered to it as a console as well.
Either way, handheld is hardware, as you mentioned.

Even if they wanted to hold off on announcements to spread things out, I don't think they would have skipped 2015 completely. However, I do think they are filling out the gap, but that has been achieved by delaying games into 2016. Perhaps some of them have been delayed for this purpose, or perhaps not. But right now we have 4/5 2016 releases from Nintendo that were originally supposed to be 2015 releases. (The localization of FE X SMT is counted here. Otherwise it's 3/4 games.)
This way they don't have to spend a lot of money making quality games for the system any more.

But yeah, I can see them making maybe one more WiiU announcement that isn't just a rushed budget game. But one game isn't going to create a 2017 for the system.

Yeah, but a lot of their IPs don't really require a lot of money to make. Really the three I can think of would be Zelda, Smash (due to buying rights to characters), and Xenoblade. 

A Luigi's Mansion would be awesome on Wii U, and a Paper Mario has been hinted at and would also not take a lot of money, or a Pikmin game (especially since they already have a lot of the assets) wouldn't take a lot of money. 

Vodacixi said:

In fact, there is. If as we suspect development started on Wii U, making Pikmin 4 multiplatform should be pretty easy.  With that, they would have another Wii U game without even trying and reduce the backlash they will surely recieve for stop supporting Wii U after only 4 years of life. Also, it would fit in the kind of games Wii U have confirmed for this year: ports, localizations and low budget games. I don't see it THAT unbelieveble

Not that it matters, but Pikmin 4 would not fit in with those types of games. I mean it's obviously not a port or localization, and with how good Pikmin 3 was it's very unlikely to be on the same tier as Ultra Smash n amiibo Festival in terms of budget/quality. Now making the game multiplatform may not be easy or even possible if they updated the game to take advantage of the new hardware like they did with Pikmin 3. The biggest point though is again, Nintendo's unwillingness to support the Wii U any longer. They've clearly shifted focus to NX, thus so to are any unannounced games they were working on for Wii U. They can't just make every game multiplat, infact Nintendo rarely ever makes multiplatform games iirc. Unlike the Wii U, the NX still has a chance of success, so it just makes sense to pool all their resources into it.

Hiku said:

Yeah, I'm hoping to see at least one more quality announcement for the system. And you're right, most of their games don't seem to have a particularly high budget. I was speaking relatively to them and the profits they'd like to see come from the games. But because of that, I think there's more of a chance of seeing at least one more quality announcement from then. It would be a nice sign of appreciation for the fans that stuck with them.

Sadly I have to doubt it. Considering it would have to release in less than 8 months from now and there's probably only two months left for non-NX announcements, we should know about it already if it existed. 

Where's the "handheld + home console, 2016" option?

Einsam_Delphin said:
Vodacixi said:

Not that it matters, but Pikmin 4 would not fit in with those types of games. I mean it's obviously not a port or localization, and with how good Pikmin 3 was it's very unlikely to be on the same tier as Ultra Smash n amiibo Festival in terms of budget/quality. Now making the game multiplatform may not be easy or even possible if they updated the game to take advantage of the new hardware like they did with Pikmin 3. The biggest point though is again, Nintendo's unwillingness to support the Wii U any longer. They've clearly shifted focus to NX, thus so to are any unannounced games they were working on for Wii U. They can't just make every game multiplat, infact Nintendo rarely ever makes multiplatform games iirc. Unlike the Wii U, the NX still has a chance of success, so it just makes sense to pool all their resources into it.

I was refering to 2016 games. Pokken (arcade port), TP HD (Gamcube port), SMT X FE (localization), Star Fox (low budget, I don't want to initiate a debate on this one pls), Mario VS Sonic (low budget). Only Zelda seems out of place. Pikmin 4 would fit pretty well between these games. It's not about if the game is good are bad, is about the people and money put into it. And Pikmin it's not an AAA title or between. Not even close.

Even if they take advantage of the NX hardware, I don't think it would be difficult to por it to Wii U. It's not a Wii-Wii U difference. More like PS3-PS4. And we've seen plenty of games in both systems.

Sure, they rarely do this and they're focusing all their resources on NX since probably half 2015.  But, this is an unprecedented situation. Wii U will die with only 4 years on the market and it hadn't the same kind of games other Nintendo system had (quantity and quality wise). Fans will surely be angry. Having some "big" name IP like Pikmin announced for the system would make thinks a little better. Of course, I don't know if it would be completely worth it, I'm just trying to prove this is not complete nonsense.