By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - It's safe to say that Nintendo won't launch new hardware this year.

When will we see a see a new Nintendo system?

Handheld, 2016 60 22.14%

Home console, 2016 109 40.22%

Handheld, 2017 15 5.54%

Home console, 2017 17 6.27%

Handheld + Home console, 2017 58 21.40%

later 12 4.43%

Total:271
curl-6 said:

I have no idea why people even want a 5th year for Wii U when it's 4th year is already as barren as the Sahara.

Don't you guys remember how much Wii's 2012 sucked? Why would you want a repeat of that?

I don't think it's that people want a fifth year for Wii U, it's that people just don't want Nintendo's next home console to be rushed and game barren for the first year and a half of its life. At least that's how I feel about it. I mean Nintendo is already pretty irrelevant right now in the home console space with the Wii U in the eyes of most hardcore gamers. They might as well just take however long they need to make a capable console that is more powerful than the PS4 so that it'll adequately compete with the next generation of consoles. Rather than releasing a XBO level console (if the rumors are true) mid-gen that'll be quickly outdated and that might be game barren for the first months of its life.

Around the Network

the_dengle said:
Didn't they reveal the 3DS at E3 2010, and launch it 8-9 months later?

Yes Feb 2011.

tsogud said:
curl-6 said:

I have no idea why people even want a 5th year for Wii U when it's 4th year is already as barren as the Sahara.

Don't you guys remember how much Wii's 2012 sucked? Why would you want a repeat of that?

I don't think it's that people want a fifth year for Wii U, it's that people just don't want Nintendo's next home console to be rushed and game barren for the first year and a half of its life. At least that's how I feel about it. I mean Nintendo is already pretty irrelevant right now in the home console space with the Wii U in the eyes of most hardcore gamers. They might as well just take however long they need to make a capable console that is more powerful than the PS4 so that it'll adequately compete with the next generation of consoles. Rather than releasing a XBO level console (if the rumors are true) mid-gen that'll be quickly outdated and that might be game barren for the first months of its life.

I dunno, a lot of people seem to have the attitude of "I'll never forgive Nintendo if they replace Wii U after 4 years". And I'm like, "you actually think they'll be major Wii U games in 2017?" What's the point of a 5th year if its empty?

bigtakilla said:

the_dengle said:
Didn't they reveal the 3DS at E3 2010, and launch it 8-9 months later?

Yes Feb 2011.

End of Feb for Japan end of March for West, and it was pretty bad launch, Nintendo invest huge effort in order to save 3DS, we had one fast price cut after launch and few fast 3DS hits. I dont think Nintendo would ever want again to release totally new console in Q1.

Miyamotoo said:
bigtakilla said:

Yes Feb 2011.

End of Feb for Japan end of March for West, and it was pretty bad launch, Nintendo invest huge effort in order to save 3DS, we had one fast price cut after launch and few fast 3DS hits. I dont think Nintendo would ever want again to release totally new console in Q1.

Maybe, maybe not. But if you think the only problem with the 3ds was the launch date you're crazy.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
tsogud said:

I dunno, a lot of people seem to have the attitude of "I'll never forgive Nintendo if they replace Wii U after 4 years". And I'm like, "you actually think they'll be major Wii U games in 2017?" What's the point of a 5th year if its empty?

I gotta go with what tsogud said. There is honestly nothing that excites me about the NX rumors that make me want it. The specs, or the rumored launch titles.

bigtakilla said:
Miyamotoo said:

Maybe, maybe not. But if you think the only problem with the 3ds was the launch date you're crazy.

Offcourse not, but people spending most money in holiday season not in Q1, that why you have almost evre launch in holiday season.

bigtakilla said:
curl-6 said:

I gotta go with what tsogud said. There is honestly nothing that excites me about the NX rumors that make me want it. The specs, or the rumored launch titles.

Me neither. At this point I don't plan on buying one.

But I still recognize that the writing is on the wall for Wii U. From here on out it is getting the bare minimum of software, and regardless of whether NX is 2016 or 2017, Wii U will not have a 5th year of significant support.

curl-6 said:
bigtakilla said:

Me neither. At this point I don't plan on buying one.

But I still recognize that the writing is on the wall for Wii U. From here on out it is getting the bare minimum of software, and regardless of whether NX is 2016 or 2017, Wii U will not have a 5th year of significant support.

Oh there's no doubt Nintendo would probably have only 1 to no titles with mentioning in 2017 for the Wii U. But a system that could hold up for 5 years would be a great start with their next console. A ton of 900p games (and who knows about the performance when we talk second screen) just gives me a feeling of dread. 

Miyamotoo said:
bigtakilla said:

Offcourse not, but people spending most money in holiday season not in Q1, that why you have almost evre launch in holiday season.

True, but releasing holiday 2016 would mean going against more powerful hardware even with your next gen system, that have a cheaper price range, bigger library of games, and VR launch buzz. It isn't exactly a surefire win that way either.