By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - It's safe to say that Nintendo won't launch new hardware this year.

When will we see a see a new Nintendo system?

Handheld, 2016 60 22.14%

Home console, 2016 109 40.22%

Handheld, 2017 15 5.54%

Home console, 2017 17 6.27%

Handheld + Home console, 2017 58 21.40%

later 12 4.43%

Total:271
bigtakilla said:
Miyamotoo said:

Offcourse not, but people spending most money in holiday season not in Q1, that why you have almost evre launch in holiday season.

True, but releasing holiday 2016 would mean going against more powerful hardware even with your next gen system, that have a cheaper price range, bigger library of games, and VR launch buzz. It isn't exactly a surefire win that way either.

Almost all that could say for any other release date, fact is that in holiday season every product is selling much better than in other time of year, so launching new console in holiday season is best choice in any case. Like I wrote, that's why almost every launch was in holiday season.

Also we still don't know exactly power of NX or price point (I dont think NX will have higher price range than PS4/X1).

Around the Network
bigtakilla said:
curl-6 said:

Me neither. At this point I don't plan on buying one.

But I still recognize that the writing is on the wall for Wii U. From here on out it is getting the bare minimum of software, and regardless of whether NX is 2016 or 2017, Wii U will not have a 5th year of significant support.

Oh there's no doubt Nintendo would probably have only 1 to no titles with mentioning in 2017 for the Wii U. But a system that could hold up for 5 years would be a great start with their next console. A ton of 900p games (and who knows about the performance when we talk second screen) just gives me a feeling of dread. 

Being dragged out to 5 years with nothing in the last 12 months isn't a great start to the next console, just like the barren end of the Wii's life wasn't a great start to Wii U. Better to end Wii U on a... well, not a bang, but a slightly less whimpery whimper.

curl-6 said:
bigtakilla said:

Oh there's no doubt Nintendo would probably have only 1 to no titles with mentioning in 2017 for the Wii U. But a system that could hold up for 5 years would be a great start with their next console. A ton of 900p games (and who knows about the performance when we talk second screen) just gives me a feeling of dread. 

Being dragged out to 5 years with nothing in the last 12 months isn't a great start to the next console, just like the barren end of the Wii's life wasn't a great start to Wii U. Better to end Wii U on a... well, not a bang, but a slightly less whimpery whimper.

With a proper price point with proper specs and a decent launch lineup I'm not sure how another year is going to hurt. They seem hellbent on half assing this system too with specs that will be outdated when it launches even by its last gen counterparts. The lineup for another year of Wii U will be fine with some other smaller outings and the ends will greatly justify the means if it means an overall better gaming experience for NX. It's not like more people are going to care this year and just suddenly won't next year.

bigtakilla said:
curl-6 said:

With a proper price point with proper specs and a decent launch lineup I'm not sure how another year is going to hurt. They seem hellbent on half assing this system too with specs that will be outdated when it launches even by its last gen counterparts. The lineup for another year of Wii U will be fine with some other smaller outings and the ends will greatly justify the means if it means an overall better gaming experience for NX. It's not like more people are going to care this year and just suddenly won't next year.

The NX is what it is. That is set in stone at this point and whether it comes in 2016 or 2017 won't change that.

curl-6 said:

I think it'd be a questionable decisions to drag out the NX release for another year. The logical bussiness decision is to release the NX taking advantage of the momentum that Zelda U and Pokémon Sun/Moon will provide to Nintendo's systems and I think it'd be a waste if they don't release both games (I'm assuming it'd be a hybrid handheld/home console system here, but let's see) on NX/WiiU/3DS. Wii's last year affected WiiU sales, I'm sure about that. 

Around the Network

People here really expect tons of exclusives on NX launch? Nintendo spent years on Wii U HD projects with delays and post-game updates. They'll launch NX with next 2D Mario, some Wii U port and Ubi/EA game at best.

Nintendo promised 5 mobile games in 2015-2016. First one, Miitomo was delayed to 2016. It's March already. Nintendo can't even release shitty mobile tomodachi messenger in time - and I repeat: what you expect?

Volterra_90 said:
curl-6 said:

I think it'd be a questionable decisions to drag out the NX release for another year. The logical bussiness decision is to release the NX taking advantage of the momentum that Zelda U and Pokémon Sun/Moon will provide to Nintendo's systems and I think it'd be a waste if they don't release both games (I'm assuming it'd be a hybrid handheld/home console system here, but let's see) on NX/WiiU/3DS. Wii's last year affected WiiU sales, I'm sure about that. 

But couldn't they ride the momentum if they announce it this E3 for NX with updated visuals, ect? 

Boberkun said:
People here really expect tons of exclusives on NX launch? Nintendo spent years on Wii U HD projects with delays and post-game updates. They'll launch NX with next 2D Mario, some Wii U port and Ubi/EA game at best.

Nintendo promised 5 mobile games in 2015-2016. First one, Miitomo was delayed to 2016. It's March already. Nintendo can't even release shitty mobile tomodachi messenger in time - and I repeat: what you expect?

My exact fear.

curl-6 said:
bigtakilla said:

The NX is what it is. That is set in stone at this point and whether it comes in 2016 or 2017 won't change that.

Hardware could change within the last year (a little over a year and a half if we talk 2017 holiday launch) before launch, the question is, will Nintendo want to?

bigtakilla said:
Volterra_90 said:

But couldn't they ride the momentum if they announce it this E3 for NX with updated visuals, ect? 

The world today is like a fast food chain. We want everything fast and without any droughts. So I think that a year with almost any WiiU title would hurt Nintendo a lot and affects the NX release, while if they release Pokémon/ZeldaU for WiiU/NX in the holiday season, the effect won't vanish the next year and they could ride that momentum. One year and the momentum will totally vanish. And a year without WiiU titles is not a great momentum actually xDDD.