By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If VR Becomes a hit, What Happens to Xbox?

Xbox Only Gamers:

Aren't Interested in VR 99 26.90%

Will Probably Buy a PS4 (price permitting) 149 40.49%

Will Probably Buy a Rift or Vive for PC 40 10.87%

See Results 80 21.74%

Total:368
CosmicSex said:
Normchacho said:

You know, your post really got me thinking. What does PSVR 2.0 look like? We already know that Sony has had some pretty advanced eye tracking prototypes since early 2014, even having a version of Infamous SS that used eye tracking to control the camera. So I think it's safe to say PSVR 2 has eye tracking, as well as more advanced head and hand tracking...but maybe this is a topic for another time...

Anyways, I think if VR ends up being big, MS will likely just make the next Xbox Rift compatible. I just don't see how MS could be successful with making their own device in what could honestly be the waning years of it's console buisiness.

There are many reports that predict that next gen is still 3 or 4 years off.  You don't want PlayStation to get a chokehold on the market if it takes off.  I think if it is an instant hit, Microsoft will retaliate with a year.  They could even include a external GPU for good measure although I know this sounds a bit much. 

MS won't know if console VR is a success until the middle of this year at the earliest. It's going to be able to crap out a competing VR headset in 18 months even if they've already started prototyping.

And, even if they do manage to get a decent headset out, what do they tell developers? "Hey, you guys know PSVR? Well, here's this other thing that's less powerful and has a smaller install base, want to make games for it?"

Oh, and who buys it? How big is the group of people that want a "high end" VR headset badly enough to buy one, but also won't buy a PS4 or PC to get it?

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network

I'd buy a PS4 and it's VR headset, well two things have to happen first, it has to be cheaper than the Vive/Oculus and show that it'll have good support from Sony and 3rd parties. I'm still a bit weary on VR personally but that's better than where I was just a few months ago (no interest in VR at all). 

Also if VR does become a hit, it'll show again that MS tends to wait and not lead when it comes to advancing technology. You can show all the cool little R&D projects you want but if they never see the light of day for consumers then it means practically nothing. Anyway let me stop myself before I go on a rant on MS's inability to innovate.

Will Xbox stop getting games or something?

JRPGfan said:
Chazore said:
It dies because some would want it to of course.

imo they are likely to do some projects with OR and go about PC VR for a time (likely exclusive to their store and 10, good luck selling absolute millions with that mindset MS) and then by the time they launch XB2, they will likely have their own VR if not partnering with OR to have it work on their next system. I would also imagine by then they would have an AR device which Sony will not have, giving MS two devices which are likely to then be used on two different platforms.

With VR you can usually just strait up convert a normal game to VR. Its just head movement = camra movement.

Because of that, its going to get tons of support. Ofc its still going to get VR only games, where you useing move controllers and other stuff.

But AR? AR is very differnt from normal games. Im guessing more or less all of them, will need to be tailored for it.

You think MS is going to support both a VR device and a AR device with tons of games? I dont think MS can pull that off, unless they suddenly open up tons of new game studios.

Also said it before but... AR is not really great for gameing.

Its goal is smart phones, cheap glasses that you can hook up to your phone is the dream.

I've been made aware for a year now on your stance towards AR being striclty for mobiles and not for gaming, not for another decade or two. You and I see things differently.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Vasto said:

Will Xbox stop getting games or something?

No.  The Xbox will continue to get support.  There are even games with VR support that will be featured on the Xbox in their non VR incarnations. 

I suppose the question is directed at Xbox Owners directly.  There is no law that says that just because you only own a Xbox One that you can't be interested in VR.  And as I said in my OP, I think that dispite what some think, Microsoft is prepared to bring native VR support to the Xbox One should it see it as an opportunity. 

Until such a time that it comes, where do you see Xbox One gamers going for VR?

Around the Network

Hololens and card games on motorcycles...

CosmicSex said:

Fanboys will fanboy and nothing is going to stop that.  But I do feel that the mass of people who do own a Xbox aren't going to sit by and troll.  I think if people are interested in VR, no matter what they game on, they will find a way.  My guess is that they would by a PC most likely because of the price wormhole that PC VR is heading to right now. 

What price wormhole is that? A ps4 + psvr would still be cheaper than OR + capable gaming PC.
Or do you think OR + capable gaming pcs will drop in price faster than ps4 + psvr combo?

As of now you're out about $1600 for entry level capable gaming pc + OR (well maybe a bit less today and you can scrap the monitor)
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2015/06/09/build-6-different-oculus-rift-ready-gaming-pcs-to-fit-any-budget-includes-windows-monitor/#4f1542124857

Or you can buy the set for $2000 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BHN1OMQ/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B01BHN1OMQ&linkCode=as2&tag=octorift-20&linkId=C2E4LV23IJEED4LT

The official price is not announced yet, but I doubt a ps4 + psvr combo will be north of $700.
It will be a while before VR capable pc + vr headset will beat that.

ohmylanta1003 said:

They won't do shit about it, they won't quickly release a new console, and VR isn't going to be a big hit initially (if ever). They also have AR. And they've stated that they will support Oculus.

AR will cost in the 4-digit range initially, you could probably but 4 xbox 1's for the same price when it comes out :P

The "VR" helmet won't be a hit. Theres nothing to worry about.

It's more like: how many proper games will the PS4 lose until they stop pumping resources on this bad idea? So, Xbox gamers will only gain from the fact Microsoft isn't embarking on this.

SvennoJ said:

Or you can buy the set for $2000 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BHN1OMQ/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B01BHN1OMQ&linkCode=as2&tag=octorift-20&linkId=C2E4LV23IJEED4LT

The official price is not announced yet, but I doubt a ps4 + psvr combo will be north of $700.
It will be a while before VR capable pc + vr headset will beat that.

So what is PC VR going to do or have in the meantime?.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"