By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If VR Becomes a hit, What Happens to Xbox?

Xbox Only Gamers:

Aren't Interested in VR 99 26.90%

Will Probably Buy a PS4 (price permitting) 149 40.49%

Will Probably Buy a Rift or Vive for PC 40 10.87%

See Results 80 21.74%

Total:368

I think we shall cheers to this technology to survive

Also I dont see anything good enough to attract gamers to this device, sadly. Look at Kinect, Move, Wii U touchpad - all of these abandoned devices..

Around the Network

I don't think it will affect much. Initially only the most hardcore will adapt it, and it isn't that big of a market. I'm interested in VR, but I'll wait and see how it develops. Also I'd imagine prices will drop in the future. Microsoft are in no rush, they can wait it out, see where it leads, and release their own VR 3 years down the road when (if) it stars to become mainstream.

If VR is a hit, Xbox ThreeDee releases in 2018 with far more horsepower for it?

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

"If VR Becomes a hit, What Happens to Xbox?"

It ll sell less and less? (software & hardware) and potentially a few xbox users buy PS4s?

KingofTrolls said:

I think we shall cheers to this technology to survive

Also I dont see anything good enough to attract gamers to this device, sadly. Look at Kinect, Move, Wii U touchpad - all of these abandoned devices..

Do you really think the eitirely of VR will be abandoned?  I am acutally expecting it to become more refined over the years.   Nothing about the hundreds of testimonials I have heard seem to indicate that this will be a passing fad, but you never know. 

Around the Network

Vr won't be a bit until 2018 or later
And the next Xbox will support oculus natively

Ms will let Facebook subsidize the hardware.
They will have the best headset out there and existing owner don't need to buy any new stuff

Win/win

soonyfanboy said:

Interesting take, but I'd imagine MS would want to have their own peripheral to generate profit from that as well.

soonyfanboy said:

They will have the best headset out there and existing owner don't need to buy any new stuff

Win/win

VR will probably be big before then.

Next console gen isnt until 2020.

The Oculus isnt the best VR headset, thats the Vive. Also many say the PS VR is basically as good as the oculus.

MS could probably keep useing Oculus in the future, if they dont want to develope their own VR solution.

I think its more likely that MS gambles on AR though, and never step into the VR headspace.

Why would MS make Oculus all that money from VR headsets sold? instead of makeing their own device though?

JRPGfan said:
soonyfanboy said:

Win/win

VR will probably be big before then.

Next console gen isnt until 2020.

The Oculus isnt the best VR headset, thats the Vive. Also many say the PS VR is basically as good as the oculus.

MS could probably keep useing Oculus in the future, if they dont want to develope their own VR solution.

I think its more likely that MS gambles on AR though, and never step into the VR headspace.

Why would MS make Oculus all that money from VR headsets sold? instead of makeing their own device though?

No the vive is not

Read posts from people who tried both.

Ps vr as good as oculus?

Sure... will be $299 only, but as good as oculus. Because of magic sauce

Ps vr will be either expensive, or as good as gear vr. You can't have both

If PS VR becomes a hit it's going to accelerate XB1's sales decline.

The demonstrated XB1 support for the Oculus Rift is really stretching the definition of what VR is. It's you playing a regular XB1 game in a virtual movie theater. This is more of a gimmick than actual VR and isn't going to benefit XB1 at all. It might even hurt it if people buy into it thinking they're going to get actual VR games.

To be honest, I don't think VR will ever be a "hit" in the conventional sense. I do think it will carve out a respectable niche for itself though.