By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the recently leaked Pokemon games be 6th gen or 7th gen?

Tagged games:

Will the recently leaked Pokemon games be 6th gen or 7th gen?

7th gen for the 3DS. 68 58.12%

7th gen for the NX. 17 14.53%

6th gen for the 3DS. 21 17.95%

6th gen for the NX. 3 2.56%

They are fake, Nintendo is trolling us. 8 6.84%

Total:117
spemanig said:

The 6.5 theory actually has facts that support it, and has had those since the day XY released. Gen 7 has none. If my argument for 6.5 was "first time for everything," I wouldn't be arguing it.

What facts? Where was it confirmed that they'll not only make a game with a new region and new Pokemon but not consider it a brand new gen because, reasons I guess. That's another thing, there is no 0.5, it's either a new gen or it isn't, and there's no reason to go above and beyond for Z or equivalent. I don't see the point in adding in 20 or however few Pokemon you're expecting in Gen 6's last year when they can just be saved for next gen. Honestly it'll just look like a cop out, that they really couldn't put gen 7 together in time. My argument btw has simply been the names. Sun and Moon have no relation to X/Y or any of it's legendarys, certainly not Zygarde who also clashes with their color schemes so not a good fit for either boxart, and even if he did, who'd be on the other box? They just don't match up, so it can only be a new gen.

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:
Do you think this games will be 7th gen already? Or are still 6th gen, just with a new region/story/whatever?

The line between generations has been gradually getting blurrier. Whether it's classified as 6th or 7th gen might be something we're debating for a while, because I suspect it'll be partially backwards-compatible. Think Gen 2's ability to send pokemon back to Gen 1, so long as they were coded into Gen 1 and didn't know Gen 2 moves.

They've introduced Pokemon Bank, which is supposed to be a system that will work with successive generations of games.

If they're called Pokemon Sun and Moon, they'll almost certainly include a new region. Not necessarily be entirely in a new region, though.

Something to think about - the place you find Zygarde, and the location of the curious, useless train station in X/Y, are on the right edge of the map. It's possible that we'll get another region to the east of Kalos, sharing that border region, with the train station as the more direct way to pass between them.

The one thing I'm fairly confident on is that it's not just a straight-up new generation. Why? Because they'd have been teasing things all over the place. We've learned of a total of two things about the next games - Zygarde has multiple forms, and there might be a new Mythical pokemon (Magearna). With so little pre-teasing, it's likely that they'd do a much bigger reveal than "5 minutes". 5 minutes just isn't enough time to talk about new mechanics, a variety of new pokemon, etc. But it is enough time to talk about a new region and a few new pokemon.

mZuzek said:

Damn, yeah... I remember all the speculation with that super mysterious useless train station on a pointless city back when X and Y were released. The artwork for Kalos showing the train rails going inside a tunnel at the far east of the region at the end of the map and stuff.

If they actually expanded on that by making a new game on a region to the east of Kalos and letting you go back to Kalos 3 years after X/Y through the train (damn it's just like Johto and Kanto), well... that would be way too awesome and I hope I can contain those expectations so I'm not disappointed tomorrow.

This is pretty much exactly what I think Sun and Moon are.

If the games are really called "Sun and Moon" then it's kind of obvious it's 7th gen right?
Am I missing something?

I mean, if it's the third version of the game (Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, B2W2) wouldn't it be called Pokemon Z or X2Y2?

Aielyn said:

The line between generations has been gradually getting blurrier. Whether it's classified as 6th or 7th gen might be something we're debating for a while, because I suspect it'll be partially backwards-compatible. Think Gen 2's ability to send pokemon back to Gen 1, so long as they were coded into Gen 1 and didn't know Gen 2 moves.

They've introduced Pokemon Bank, which is supposed to be a system that will work with successive generations of games.

If they're called Pokemon Sun and Moon, they'll almost certainly include a new region. Not necessarily be entirely in a new region, though.

Something to think about - the place you find Zygarde, and the location of the curious, useless train station in X/Y, are on the right edge of the map. It's possible that we'll get another region to the east of Kalos, sharing that border region, with the train station as the more direct way to pass between them.

The one thing I'm fairly confident on is that it's not just a straight-up new generation. Why? Because they'd have been teasing things all over the place. We've learned of a total of two things about the next games - Zygarde has multiple forms, and there might be a new Mythical pokemon (Magearna). With so little pre-teasing, it's likely that they'd do a much bigger reveal than "5 minutes". 5 minutes just isn't enough time to talk about new mechanics, a variety of new pokemon, etc. But it is enough time to talk about a new region and a few new pokemon.

I disagree with the lines getting blurrier, for better or worse they're as solid as they've ever been. We can't send Gen6 Pokemon to Gen5, Gen5 to Gen4, Gen4 to Gen3, etc. Yeah they could implement patches n updates now that the technology is there, but as OR/AS has shown that's not in the cards. Heck that's why some consider those games gen 6.5. It's understandable, they gotta have reasons for people to keep buying their games afterall.

Iirc, the X/Y reveal had no hints, it literally came outta nowhere, and the first trailer for it wasn't more than 5 minutes either. They'll gradually reveal more about the game as we get closer to release like always. Tomorrow I'd only expect to see the legendarys, the starters, some new pokemon, glimpses at the region and new features, and of course stuff that's mysterious and leaves us guessing (Sylveon, Mega Mewtwo).

Around the Network

The real, actually important, topic of debate is this: Can I finally have dreads (and no hat) in this game, Gamefreak?

MrYoshi said:

If the games are really called "Sun and Moon" then it's kind of obvious it's 7th gen right?
Am I missing something?

I mean, if it's the third version of the game (Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, B2W2) wouldn't it be called Pokemon Z or X2Y2?

Zygarde forms I guess, but poor Zygarde isn't even in the movie title. Really no one cares about that poor ugly snake thing, it's the most underwhelming third legendary ever, doesn't deserve it's face on a box.

I hope it's not Gen 7. That would be disappointing in my opinion. It would be awesome for Gen 7 to debut on new hardware where we'd have no idea of how big the improvements would be.

mZuzek said:

No hat? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA yeah right, keep dreaming, kid.

We're all dreaming together though.

Hahahahahahaha... :')

MrYoshi said:

Am I missing something?

No. That's what you're missing.