By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Did Street Fighter V Bomb?

Did Street Fighter V bomb?

Yes 391 60.43%

No 256 39.57%

Total:647

Yes a nuclear bomb

Around the Network
Kotastic said:
I mean Splatoon pretty much did the same thing, we'll see how it works out for SFV

There are several differences between those two:

First, Street Fighter V is a well established IP and the most well-known fighting game. It needs to reach certain standards at release, compared to a new IP (from Nintendo, but still new) that has no legacy behind it.

Second, the pricing, Splatoon is around 40€ in most european stores, and around 5.000 yen in Japan (around 40€). I don't know why in NA the game is above 50$, but still, the game is not full price in most regions. Street Fighter V is full priced at all regions, and people expect more content on a full-priced game.

Third, SFV got a lot of flank because of its exclusivity to PS4/PC on a traditionally multiplat franchise. They said they needed that partnership to make the best possible game. So when the game gets released, and people see the glaring omissions (they will come eventually, but you could have waited and bought the game cheaper), they are going to say this look shady.

I suppose people can think more differences, between the two, but still. SFV will sell better once all the content reaches the market, but releasing it so soon hurt the launch numbers.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

This game will have great legs and keep selling at a steady pace, fighters are different compared To other genres, they never sell massively.

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

It probably "performed" similar to Rise of the Tomb Raider when it comes to sales vs expectations.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

You know in all seriousness if you go onto psn store on the ps4 you have the feature filled 49 character, tons of dlc costumes Ultra Street Fighter 4 available for €24.99 and next to it you have an absolute barebones edition of SFV with 16 character and pretty much nothing to do outside of multiplayer in it, for the low low price of €69.99 or the deluxe edition for €99.99 I mean... seriously all the attention SFV was getting pre launch for the possible removal of Rainbow Mika slapping her butt, but the reality is people should have been keeping an eye on other stuff missing at launch, especially for a game costing that amount.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
I despise the way the game was released and the apologists working hard over it, but I don't want the game to bomb. Not only would that put future SF games into jeopardy, but that would make Capcom a lot less willing to take risks on other fighters. They used to make a lot of good fighters. I want a Marvel vs Capcom 4 that plays more like the original MvC than the two sequels. That will never happen if SFV is a failure for them.

It could also make them more hesitant to make other risky games outside the fighting genre. I will buy down the line. I know they (supposedly) aren't doing "super ultra" editions with SFV or whatever, but there will just be corresponding updates instead. So instead of a Super Ultra SFV Arcade Edition SKU, you'll just have a content update. I can wait for those and pay less.

I think the only real thing in jeopardy is exclusive deals for future titles. I think this will pretty much mark the end of that if the game noticeably underperforms.

lets wait and see how it does in other markets before we decide. in the UK it bombed, but thats all we know so far.

I imagine current word of mouth for it would be horrendous. But as it gets more and more content it will climb.

I think the average consumer would be oblivious to this games' current content model, buy it once and it's the only copy you'll need all gen.

Ganoncrotch said:
You know in all seriousness if you go onto psn store on the ps4 you have the feature filled 49 character, tons of dlc costumes Ultra Street Fighter 4 available for €24.99 and next to it you have an absolute barebones edition of SFV with 16 character and pretty much nothing to do outside of multiplayer in it, for the low low price of €69.99 or the deluxe edition for €99.99 I mean... seriously all the attention SFV was getting pre launch for the possible removal of Rainbow Mika slapping her butt, but the reality is people should have been keeping an eye on other stuff missing at launch, especially for a game costing that amount.

Funny part about people going cray over the Butt slap removal is the fact that on PC it got modded back in lol.

(It also got covered on multiple gaming sites but it seems to have escaped a publish on VGC).

https://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comments/463z2s/street_fighter_v_rmika_buttslap_fix_mod/

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Really OP? You don't think that it will break 250k by end of February? 

The UK is a pretty small sample to base the global situation off and fighters are hardly that popular on PC. 

I'm guessing around a million sold through at least by Feb 29th. 

The internet hate for this game is strong, hate blinds you.