By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - F-Zero X or F-Zero GX?

Tagged games:

The best one is...

F-Zero X 17 18.09%

F-Zero GX 77 81.91%

Total:94

Please, not even a contest. GX.

Around the Network

GX looks better and had a bunch of extras including the AX arcade game in it.

X despite minimal graphics and stage visuals felt like a better game and call me crazy the speed was more intense.

It is basically the usual debate people have with SMB3 and SMW or Super Metriod and Metriod Prime, one is a sequel that built on the predecessor but did it extremely well.

GX ! The impression of speed is incredible, I loved the arcade feel (while still a F-Zero), superb graphics (even now), the missions also as both a challenge and a training, and last but not least, the GC gamepad was like built for the game.

GX is probably the best racer I've ever played - so that's my pick. A fantastic sequel to X, and the only reason I consider rebuying a GameCube.

mjo011 said:
GX is probably the best racer I've ever played

For me too.

Norris2k said:
GX ! superb graphics (even now)

Amen, I was replaying it a few months ago, and for a game that's two generations and over a decade old, it ridiculous how good it still looks.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Norris2k said:
GX ! superb graphics (even now)

Amen, I was replaying it a few months ago, and for a game that's two generations and over a decade old, it ridiculous how good it still looks.

Yes, really, this game is splendid, the colors, design, there are so much details, good antialiasing, effects, things that happen on screen, after 10 years it's hard to think it could be ridiculed anytime.

GX is my favourite racing game of all time! (well, tied with Sonic Racing Transformed).

1doesnotsimply

X, reasons...

RolStoppable said:
F-Zero X. Better controls and course design. Boost maintenance.

The machines drop like rocks in GX. You also can't avoid being lifted off the track by pressing up on the analog stick because up and down don't work until you are in the air. This makes some portions of certain tracks deadly for no good reason. Many tracks are also too long despite multiple refill zones. Other tracks are simply boring or outright terrible. GX is also guilty of wall or wall-like obstacles on the road.

Boost maintenance was an essential part in F-Zero X, especially in conjunction with the fact that you could lose control of your vehicle if you pressed the stick too hard to either side; the higher your speed, the more precise your steering had to be. The game wasn't just about boosting at the right time, it was even moreso about using the boosts to their full potential because it took seconds until you got back to normal speed. In GX the boost goes away almost instantly, so skillful driving takes a backseat. Also, if you hit a boost plate in X, the energy stopped draining from your vehicle if you had activated one of your own boosts; the same isn't the case in GX. Maintenance of speed was also a part of jumps and landing, this too does not really matter in GX.

Plus points for GX: Graphics (duh) and the greater amount of music (individual themes for all drivers). It's too much a style over substance game though. It isn't a close contest between these two games. I wouldn't even say that GX is a good game because it's so disappointing. I'd easily take the original and Maximum Velocity over GX because those two games demand more skill and have better course designs despite not being 3D.

Wowzer, I expected GX to win, but I didn't think it would be this much of a WipEout.

GX is better but my favorite is still the original. The game never gets old for me.