By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the PS3 ever reach 10 mill in Japan?

FFXIII can do it, just we dont know how.

mM
Around the Network

Between 6 to 8 million is my estimate. 4 million would be the absolute floor and 10 million would be the absolute ceiling.

I agree with the OP.  Final Fantasy has breathed life into 2 PlayStation consoles in Japan (PS1 and PSP).  PSP also had the slim to do that too.  But, it will be nothing like PS2.

In Japan, Final Fantasy sets an image for consoles, whether the consumers buy it or not. 

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Yes. Next Question?

I'm back...

Going to be some rude awakenings about the power of FF on a console IMO. I dont think it will hit 10m and I think people are going to freak out seeing the smaller than expected effect FF has by finally releasing on a console that isnt ALREADY dominating Japan like all the other FF's have had the luxury of.

Will be interesting

Easily.

Not only with games, as FFXII and Co. should help exponentially, but with a system re-design.

I think what most people don't realize is that Japan has yet to see one "killer app" from the PS3. it's hard to sell well without the system-defining game, and the PS3 has yet to get one.
Add in price-cuts and re-designs, and I don't see how 10 mil is even that hard to achieve.

Around the Network
leo-j said:
FFXIII can do it, just we dont know how.

FFXIII is the last great hope for PS3 owners that the PS3 will live up to the PS2.

I personally think the are fooling themselves. The PS3 will never be half as popular as the PS2, imo, but we won't be able to tell for sure until FFXIII first month Japanese PS3 hardware sales are in.

If the PS3 sells 150,000 hardware units on XIII's launch and maintains at least 80k the next week, then the possibility still exists assuming the PS3 has a much longer lifecycle. If it doesn't achieve those magical numbers, the dream is over, and Sony fanboys should probably give up their dream of the PS3 beating the Wii, as well. We'll know soon enough. A lot hinges on this game, way more than MGS4, which I feel will come and go with much less hoopla than will FFXIII, or Gran Turismo.

It certainly won't pass 10m "easily" as some would assert. Even with those magical figures, the PS3 will still need luck to reach 10m by the end its Japanese lifecycle. 

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Dont think soo. FFXll aint enough, they need more software that appeals to japan, and frankly at the moment, japan seems to be the weak link for sony.

I think at this point that is pretty hard to judge - with a PS3 slim in many colors and several FF parts + spin offs it might very well be possible to reach 10 million units, but inmy opinion nothing is certain at this point.

You're right about one thing at least, Japan is PS3's hardest fight. 10 million will be very hard to reach.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

halil23 said:
WOW. So many hypocrite here! So PS2 sold 22 million and PS3 won't sell half of that. The ignorance!

OT : It will easily pass 10 million, hell! even 15.

Please see this graph:

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=PS2&reg1=Japan&cons2=PS3&reg2=Japan&cons3=GC&reg3=Japan&weeks=129

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957