By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mobile devices will be more powerful than PlayStation 4, Xbox One in 2017, ARM forecasts

elektranine said:
curl-6 said:

Adreno 430, the GPU used in mobile devices such as Sony's Xperia Z5, packs 324-420 Gigaflops. (Depending on clock speed)

Lol nice try ...

When i mentioned gigaflops I meant single-precision calculations not the half-precision crap that mobile device manufacturers use in their skewed benchmarks.

Guess you don't know the difference between half, single, and double precision floating point operations. They are all exponentially harder to perform than each other. Half precision calculations are basically useless to anything related to graphics.

The areno 430 is known to throttle severely for any task that lasts longer than a few milliseconds. Actual real world benchmarks peg this GPU at 50-60 single-precision gigaflops.

Actually, high end mobile chips beat PS3/360 in single precision too. Tegra K1, for example, peaks at 326 Gigaflops single precision, and that's a mobile chip from 2014.

And that's before we even start factoring in advantages outside of Gigaflops, like the far more modern graphical feature sets that modern mobile chips have compared to the ancient DX9-era stuff in PS3/360.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Actually, high end mobile chips beat PS3/360 in single precision too. Tegra K1, for example, peaks at 326 Gigaflops single precision, and that's a mobile chip from 2014.

And that's before we even start factoring in advantages outside of Gigaflops, like the far more modern graphical feature sets that modern mobile chips have compared to the ancient DX9-era stuff in PS3/360.

Well to be fair consoles have a much more direct access to their GPUs compared to the likes of a graphics API such as OpenGL ES ... 

It doesn't matter what feature set the hardware supports when your using an arcane API by design. A DX11 GPU with a DX9 runtime will act like a DX9 GPU ... 

Plus consoles may have exclusive features not found on common platforms that have to support multiple IHVs ...

fatslob-:O said:
curl-6 said:

Well to be fair consoles have a much more direct access to their GPUs compared to the likes of a graphics API such as OpenGL ES ... 

It doesn't matter what feature set the hardware supports when your using an arcane API by design. A DX11 GPU with a DX9 runtime will act like a DX9 GPU ... 

Plus consoles may have exclusive features not found on common platforms that have to support multiple IHVs ...

The same is true of consoles vs PC, but we are talking about a decade of advancement in rendering technology here. PS3 and 360 were crazy powerful in 2005/2006, but it's 2016 now.

curl-6 said:

The same is true of consoles vs PC, but we are talking about a decade of advancement in rendering technology here. PS3 and 360 were crazy powerful in 2005/2006, but it's 2016 now.

And their still comparable to a lot of modern mobile GPUs today ... 

They have the advantage in transistor technology and feature sets yet decade old consoles are still quite competitive, performance wise ... 

curl-6 said:

And their still comparable to a lot of modern mobile GPUs today ... 

They have the advantage in transistor technology and feature sets yet decade old consoles are still quite competitive, performance wise ... 

I never said they were not comparable, just pointing out that specs wise top end mobile tech has passed them by now.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

I never said they were not competitive, just pointing out that specs wise top end mobile tech has passed them by now.

In terms of theoretical performance maybe so but I'd be interested in the realistic case where mobile devices are power limited ... 

I don't think high end mobile devices have totally outdone consoles just yet ... 

curl-6 said:

I never said they were not competitive, just pointing out that specs wise top end mobile tech has passed them by now.

In terms of theoretical performance maybe so but I'd be interested in the realistic case where mobile devices are power limited ... 

I don't think high end mobile devices have totally outdone consoles just yet ... 

A lot of higher end graphical applications can severely impact battery life, not to mention the need to support older models and a lack of AAA level investment means there are no tailor-made showcases like consoles have.

But looking at the specs, I think it's safe to say that the upper tier of mobile technology has surpassed last gen consoles. Not by a dramatic amount, and only in high end models, but even so.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Maybe Im wrong (I wouldnt mind), but I dont think we ll see it so soon.
Even if smart phones get more powerfull really fast, there arnt any yet that are at the level of the PS3 right?

Look at Nvidia Shield X1.
Its got 512 Flops of compute graphics power, vs the 1.84 Teraflops of the PS4.
The Nvidia Shield X1 uses around 10-15watts of power (its a tablet chip, used in a mini console)

That means its roughly 1/4th the power of a Playstation 4.
And at 10-15watts, which would be too much for a smart phone (usually 3watts or lower).

I just dont see how they could make such big leaps in performance, within 10years time, to allow smart phones to be more powerfull than playstation 4s.

I think its Marketing, they love to say crazy shyt and over hype products.
This is just that, its not something thats going to happen soon.

I think soon we ll see Smart Phones that are faster than the Playstation 3.

PS4? no... thats more than 10years from now.

JRPGfan said:

I think soon we ll see Smart Phones that are faster than the Playstation 3.

There have been smartphones faster than the PS3 for a while now.

JRPGfan said:

I just dont see how they could make such big leaps in performance, within 10years time, to allow smart phones to be more powerfull than playstation 4s.

Depends on whether or not Moore's law continues to be consistently true within the next ten years. Less than 9 years ago the original Iphone released. 

The original iphone had 128 MB of ram, a 412 Mhz generic Samsung ARM CPU, and graphics capabilities much less than what the PSP can offer at the time. Today the best Iphone is better than the MacBook released in the same year in terms of CPU performance, has 2 GB of ram, and moderately surpasses the Vita in graphics capabilities/theoretically matches the PS360. So the jump in less than ten years was from worse than PSP to almost as good as PS360. And the 6s isn't even the best that is out there as far as phone hardware goes. 

Ten years is a very long time for technology to advance. 

And if it is true that power output is what truly limits the mobile devices, then it makes it even less of an issue because within ten years we should have a power-supply breakthrough as battery/capacitor technology has very much lagged behind the last few decades, and there is a lot of research going into the the solid-state physics involved to improve these technologies, as well as the engineering to implement them in cost-effective means.