By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mobile devices will be more powerful than PlayStation 4, Xbox One in 2017, ARM forecasts

Please lock if already posted:

''AMSTERDAM — That supercomputer in your pocket will soon make Sony’s and Microsoft’s latest home gaming consoles look old and crusty.

ARM, the technology design company responsible for the chip architecture in mobile devices, is preparing for another big leap in computational power for smartphones and tablets. At the Casual Connect conference in Amsterdam this week, ARM ecosystem director Nizar Romdan explained that the chips that his company creates with partners like Nvidia, Samsung, and Texas Instruments will generate visuals on par with what you get from the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One consoles by the end of 2017. That means we are about a year away from having smartphone and tablets that are capable of running the same games (at least graphically) that we previously bought dedicated gaming hardware for.''

http://venturebeat.com/2016/02/16/mobile-devices-will-be-more-powerful-than-playstation-4-xbox-one-in-2017-arm-forecasts/

2017 sounds a little early to me, but if ARM has something that strong lined up for next year that would be huge.

Around the Network

Don't doubt it at all. Power isn't anything like an issue even now for mobile platforms. They could obliterate the 3DS and Vita as it is.

The problem with mobile platforms is the woeful quality and/or production values of the games.

And so long as its Free 2 Play or 99p or bust, I don't see it being a viable threat to dedicated gaming, even if it does soak up the casual market.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Ahhh, if the handheld market was healther, it would be amazing, with all the avalible tech... I hope the NX handheld uses all of this mobile tech and pushes the handheld market once again.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

I honestly doubt it.

The CPU's are already there. They just need to work on graphics performance.

Around the Network

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=213140&page=1#

this is pretty much the same, no offical source though

If that's true in any real sense. Remodels of the X1 and PS4 should be the size of the disc drive. Right? Right? I doubt it.

Even if that was true, there's no way mobile will kill dedicated consoles. Never. Handhelds, though? Someday. But probably not even within a decade.

bet: lost

archer9234 said:

If that's true in any real sense. Remodels of the X1 and PS4 should be the size of the disc drive. Right? Right? I doubt it.

This is what I was thinking. Anyway, you should expect a device that costs 3 times more to be more powerful. 

If only mobile devices had actual physical buttons on 'em.