By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mobile devices will be more powerful than PlayStation 4, Xbox One in 2017, ARM forecasts

We've been hearing that smartphones will be stronger than consoles for the past 3 years now. Still hasn't happened.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
We've been hearing that smartphones will be stronger than consoles for the past 3 years now. Still hasn't happened.

2-3 years ago they were talking about surpassing PS3 and 360, and that has indeed happened.

On paper sure, but not in actual performance. I'd love to see a modern phone run PS360 GTA V.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

BraLoD said:
curl-6 said:

2-3 years ago they were talking about surpassing PS3 and 360, and that has indeed happened.

Which smartphone games are superior graphically wise to the likes of The Last of Us or God of War Ascencion?

I don't follow smartphone gaming, (and obviously nobody would sink the kind of money into a mobile game that allowed TLOU and GoW to push last gen tech to breaking point) but technically current high end mobile chips have surpassed the capabilities of PS3/360.

Hell, Tegra K1 was able to match and in some ways exceed PS3/360 back in 2014.

BraLoD said:
curl-6 said:

I don't follow smartphone gaming, (and obviously nobody would sink the kind of money into a mobile game that allowed TLOU and GoW to push last gen tech to breaking point) but technically current high end mobile chips have surpassed the capabilities of PS3/360.

Hell, Tegra K1 was able to match and in some ways exceed PS3/360 back in 2014.

Well, yeah, but what does it matters to have the tech and not actually be able to make use of it?
I understand the claim, but that means nothing if there is actually not a single thing proving it outside of specs on paper.

I see you are getting it specifically to the technical hard numbers side, which is not wrong, but I guess it's worth to look at it that way as well, specially at that way, as it's how it matters if anyone is comparing a smartphone with a gaming device to boast power, then show it xP

Well, if its specific examples you want, Tegra X1 runs Trine 2 at 1080p, compared to the 720p-and-below of PS3/360, and Doom 3 BFG Edition at 1080p compared to 720p on PS3/360.

That's a more than 100% increase in pixels drawn.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
bullshit. it's just doesn't work that way.

but PR will PR and the masses will gobble it up.

I feel like we hear about a revolution in mobile gaming every year but I still haven't seen a mobile game that looks like a PS3 exclusive.

I HIGHLY doubt that. And even if it does technically it definitely won't perform on the level consoles.

No smartphone dev will spend millions of dollrs on one games so smartphone games will never reach consoles graphics

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

BraLoD said:
curl-6 said:

Well, if its specific examples you want, Tegra X1 runs Trine 2 at 1080p, compared to the 720p-and-below of PS3/360, and Doom 3 BFG Edition at 1080p compared to 720p on PS3/360.

That's a more than 100% increase in pixels drawn.

The very same game with everything and all and better res? That's pretty cool then xD

As with more pixels in regular consoles, there are drawbacks... FPS.

Farsala said:
BraLoD said:

The very same game with everything and all and better res? That's pretty cool then xD

As with more pixels in regular consoles, there are drawbacks... FPS.

Doom 3 BFG edition actually runs smoother at 1080p on Tegra X1 than it does at 720p on PS3/360.