By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - It's Almost Official Titanic>Star Wars: The Force Awakens ( Box Office )

Soundwave said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Yes, but at least 2 of its movies can be considered all time classics, it was also really revolutionary for cinema and the passion for them has not only survived but grown in the last 40 years, Titanic will stand in history for its high production values and high sales, not the quality of the movie itself, is not a terrible movie by any means, it did its job, but is far from being an all time classic let alone a masterpice.

Titanic also had "fad-ish" qualities to its run. It was a big deal to teenage girls of that time, but will my kids look at Titanic the same way? No. It is will be associated with the late 1990s and Spice Girls and Backstreet Boys and Jennifer Love Hewitt and the other teen cultural fads of the time. 

It's not a bad movie at all, it's a far better movie than Avatar, but the "Titanic craze" as it were is very much a late 1990s type of thing. 

Star Wars as a "craze" is still going on 40 years later and multi-generational, there are 7/8 year olds who are now huge Star Wars fans because of TFA. 

People moved on from TFA within a month of it being released. That's not what I call a craze. Titanic was a phenomenon like no other. Everyone went to watch that movie.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
Chris Hu said:

Wow I think you need to look up Kung Fu Panda 3's numbers again it didn't flop.  Also you need to know its still has a lot of markets where it hasn't been released yet it will add a lot more next month and its not until the 13th of April when it will be released in all markets around the world.  Its production budget was $145 and so far it made $262 so it already made more then enough not to be considered a flop.  Also TFA is not even close to ending its end it will be in theaters in North America for at least another 60 days.

$256M is not enough for a $145M movie to not be a flop. Sure, it got other countries to be released in but it made no bearing on TFA's gross since it had already slowed down significantly. TFA's run has ended basically.

$256 is more then enough for it not being considered a flop.  Also with Monday's numbers it passed the $100 million mark domestically so it even made enough domestically not to be considered a flop.  Not to mention that by the time its done playing it will easily be over $400 million world wide.  Unless a movie has disasterous numbers on its opening weekend calling a movie a flop after only being in theaters for 18 days is way too early.  Also TFA run hasn't ended basically it is still in the top ten domestically and will be in theaters for at least another 60 days.

Lawlight said:
Soundwave said:

Titanic also had "fad-ish" qualities to its run. It was a big deal to teenage girls of that time, but will my kids look at Titanic the same way? No. It is will be associated with the late 1990s and Spice Girls and Backstreet Boys and Jennifer Love Hewitt and the other teen cultural fads of the time. 

It's not a bad movie at all, it's a far better movie than Avatar, but the "Titanic craze" as it were is very much a late 1990s type of thing. 

Star Wars as a "craze" is still going on 40 years later and multi-generational, there are 7/8 year olds who are now huge Star Wars fans because of TFA. 

People moved on from TFA within a month of it being released. That's not what I call a craze. Titanic was a phenomenon like no other. Everyone went to watch that movie.

Everybody loved the Spice Girls too, nobody cares about them anymore, just like Titanic, Star Wars fever has never died, we still on it and next movie will be another brutal success, now that what I call craze.

MoHasanie said:
Awesome. Star Wars didn't even deserve to make that much money.

This. A remake(TFA) didn't deserve to make anywhere near that much money.

I always thought of Titanic as a chick flick, like The Notebook.

Around the Network

People moved on to other movies because there are actually more then a few movies that are just as good or better then TFA currently playing in theaters.  Titanic on the other hand had little to no competition quality wise for most of its theatrical run.  I say it again besides Saving Private Ryan 1998 was a pretty lousy year quality wise. 

Here are the 50 highest rated movies from 1998 on imdb:

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?year=1998,1998&title_type=feature&num_votes=1000,&sort=user_rating,desc

Besides Saving Private Ryan and American History X pretty much all the movies on that list are pretty forgettable.

On top off all that 1998 was also a pretty lousy year music wise.

http://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/bg_hits/bg_hits_98.html

Havent listed to any of those songs in a long time.

Chris Hu said:

People moved on to other movies because there are actually more then a few movies that are just as good or better then TFA currently playing in theaters.  Titanic on the other hand had little to no competition quality wise for most of its theatrical run.  I say it again besides Saving Private Ryan 1998 was a pretty lousy year quality wise. 

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?year=1998,1998&title_type=feature&num_votes=1000,&sort=user_rating,desc

Besides Saving Private Ryan and American History X pretty much all the movies on that list are pretty forgettable.

Titanic released in late 1997, if a movie released 7 months later couldn't remove a chunk of Titanic's market then clearly Titanic was a beast ( Unlike Star Wars which was destroyed before any huge movie even came out, it was barely keeping afloat pre-deadpool week ).  Titanic deserves its second place whether you like it or not.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Goodnightmoon said:
Lawlight said:

Everybody loved the Spice Girls too, nobody cares about them anymore, just like Titanic, Star Wars fever has never died, we still on it and next movie will be another brutal success, now that what I call craze.

Hahahahahaha

No. No. No.

Titanic >>>>>>>>>>>>>an abism>>>>>>>>> The force awakenzzzz

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Mr.Playstation said:
Chris Hu said:

Titanic released in late 1997, if a movie released 7 months later couldn't remove a chunk of Titanic's market then clearly Titanic was a beast ( Unlike Star Wars which was destroyed before any huge movie even came out, it was barely keeping afloat pre-deadpool week ).  Titanic deserves its second place whether you like it or not.

Actually TFA is second place all time since you have to subtract the re release numbers from Titanic in order to make a fair comparision.  Just like the movie itself Titanic's legs are highly overrated since it took 189 days to make its final $100 million domestically.  TFA total domestic theatrical run will probably be less then 189 days so by the time its all said and done TFA will have made over $800 million more in its entire domestic theatrical run then Titanic did in its final 189 days.

Goodnightmoon said:
Lawlight said:

Well watch mojo still likes the Spice Girls they put the Spice Girls album Spice as the 9th most important album in pop history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMKNS3cvjc0

the whole top 10 is pretty laughable not only for the Spice Girls inclusion but also the fact that a lot of the albums listed aren't even pop music.