By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - It's Almost Official Titanic>Star Wars: The Force Awakens ( Box Office )

Goodnightmoon said:
FallingTitan said:
haven't seen it. hate star wars. I downloaded 1-6 to start watching it on my "ROAD TO VII" but after the episode one I was like how can people like this. bad writing and acting and effects in one.

But I worked through it and watched till episode 3. Then was like ok im done with star wars. I just dont get the hype.

I wish i was one of you but I can't be!!!

You must be the only person in this world that doesnt know that episode I is pure shit hated for 95% of fans. And so is episode II. The classics are IV and V.

Epsisode 3 isn't exactly great either due to the hammy acting.

Around the Network
Chris Hu said:
Goodnightmoon said:

You must be the only person in this world that doesnt know that episode I is pure shit hated for 95% of fans. And so is episode II. The classics are IV and V.

Epsisode 3 isn't exactly great either due to the hammy acting.

I didn't say it was great. Is way better though.

Chris Hu said:
VXIII said:

Those are ones of most iconic scenes that I've known about. Almost every single person I know recognize the scenes with ease. I can't not think about the first scence whenever I see someone opens their arms to the wind. Surly, it can't be just me. Along with the "come back" sence as well.

Memorable maybe but not iconic, there is a huge difference between memorable and iconic.

Emm. Everyome has at least tried the king of the world scene at least once in their lives. That scene is one of the most iconic scenes ever.

I'm certain that you would agree that tha"I'm your father,scene" in star wars is also quite iconic so why is this any different?

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Mr.Playstation said:

Emm. Everyome has at least tried the king of the world scene at least once in their lives. That scene is one of the most iconic scenes ever.

I'm certain that you would agree that tha"I'm your father,scene" in star wars is also quite iconic so why is this any different?

It's certainly iconic, yeah. But it's cringeworthy, like that Tidus and Yuna scene on FFX. "HA-HA-HA-HA". Jesus Christ.

Star Wars already beat Titanics original run if Im not mistaken. The 2012 run is whats giving it an edge.

Around the Network
DakonBlackblade said:
Star Wars already beat Titanics original run if Im not mistaken. The 2012 run is whats giving it an edge.

Again yes, it's what makes the OP misleading. 

The Force Awakens beat Titanic's initial run a long time ago. Titanic made $1.8 billion in its original release, TFA has made $2 billion+. 

Lawlight said:
Wonktonodi said:

There is no place that has very accurate data for adjusting movies for inflation world wide since studios use dollars for the most part and not total ticket sales. That and adding the various rereleases many of the top movies have had, makes the acuracy of those numbers harder to gage. While box office mojo does adjusting for inflation very well.

Furthermore have you looked at what wikipedia had for top 10 worldwide adjusted vs box office mojo has for domestic adjusted? 9 of the 10 movies are the same. 6 of them in the same order, with Avatar and Titanic higher on the international list and Jaws and the excorsit being lower. Were the international list exctended to more than 10, I'm sure there would be many more star wars movies in the top 20.

Except that you cannot compare just the US to worldwide. For example, unadjusted, there are 3 Star Wars movies in the Top 8 but only 1 Star Wars movie in the Top 20 worldwide.

Here's a different list:

http://calculatorgames.info/mogul/

I can, I did and I will again.

You didn't even read your own source very well. There are two star wars movies on the list at 18 or above and would be 3 counting the force awakens. Next while he uses a consistent method for calculation it's far from perfect and does seem to favour newer movies. Plus several star wars movies are missing that should just be there. It's a decent general reference but I'd hardly use it as proof for anything.

Edit: to expand further he used Box office Mojo for US data but if he did for foreign as well he'd have the initial values for all the original Star Wars Trilogy to be low, on Box office mojo when you look at the world wide figures, the original trilogy have there domestic special edition totals added as well but not the foreign, while that effect the first more than the other 2  57 million ans 43 million adjusted up from 1997 values would add a good amount, enough to bump ESB to top 20 and I'm sure enough to have RotJ onto the list.

Edit again,

I see you brought up unadjusted, you do know that's a very different argument and one that had nothing to do with any of the numbers I brough up. Adjused world wide and domestic the lists are much more similar than the unadjusted lists especially with Star Wars movies that do more of there box office in the US than other blockbuster movies.

Soundwave said:

TFA was never really trying to be the "be all, end all" Star Wars movie.

It's main goals were to recalibrate the franchise to bring back the heart/fun/emotion of the OT and introduce us to the new characters and give them an "adventure" to get their feet wet.

That's all. Oh it gave a nice send off to Han Solo. So it accomplished most of the things it set out to do. 

We know VIII and IX and is where the story will get deeper and more complicated. That's just how a Star Wars trilogy works, you can't blow your wad in the first act.

Some of the criticisms are overblown anyway, lets say Rey was on tropical rainforest planet and the Starkiller Base instead of a planet was a giant dildo shaped superweapon called the Snoke Schlong. I mean yeah that's "different" ... that doesn't make it "better". I like the iconography of the desert landscape, there's something about it that just fits Star Wars to a tee. 

Then it failed.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile