By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Food that you make the most?

Farsala said:

So I love food and I also love taking everyone elses ideas for foods and adding it to my own style :). I have grown rather bored of bland college kid food like Ramen, frozen pizzas and spaghetti.

Recently I made mostly Mac and Cheese, but with added hot sauce to make it not so bland. Before that everyday I made an omelette with 2 eggs, 1/3 green pepper or 1/2 onion, 3 potatoes and topped with a handful of cheese. This was satisfying but took an hour of my time everyday to cut the vegetables...

Oh you do that do? I've been doing this for a while now, it makes it taste so much better. Frank's Redhot, please.

Around the Network

Breakfast. Two slices of bread with some chocolate sprinkles or peanut-butter. A banana and a glass of milk. Maybe even something else on the side like an eierkoek or ontbijtkoek, but I doubt you know what those are.

Of course, I understand you mean to ask what I cook (you don't cook breakfast) for dinner mostly, but then I have to tell you there's not really one thing that stands out. We always eat something else each day. Usually something made up or derived from "real" recipes. Of course we have our own 'classics' now, that we'll have every couple of weeks. I guess the winner, to name a specific dish, would probably be boerenkoolstamppot, even though thats a winter-dish.

Farsala said:
ReimTime said:
This supper is probably my most common:
- Baked marinated chicken breast with onions (can substitute for grilled salmon fillet with dill and garlic)
- Brown rice, topped with a dab of margarine, soy sauce and a shot of sriracha
- Steamed broccoli

I also eat pasta with sauce sometimes with the chicken, and chop up a nice salad with a lot of vegetables. Furthermore, I always cook so much that I will have plenty of leftovers for lunch the next day.

For breakfast it is either:
- a big bowl of oatmeal with peanut butter + yogurt + apple
- a pan scarmbler made from sliced pan-fried potatoes, eggs, peppers, onions, mushrooms and seasoning.

For lunch I usually have leftovers from the night before, but if I have time to make something:
- Some sort of soup
- Two sandwiches, which could be egg salad, tuna salad, or any type of sliced meat with plenty of toppings.

My most common snacks would be chomping some carrot sticks (or other veggies, maybe fruit) or eat peanut butter with a spoon. I eat so much yogurt, apples, bananas and peanut butter that it isn't even funny. At least 2 cups of coffee and 2 cups of Bengal spice tea in a day as well.

If it is Sunday I might collaborate with roommates to slow cook a roast, or maybe a rotisserie chicken, maybe a lasagna etc. Smokies and perogies are great too. Lots of Mom's recipes like Chili and.....

Ah damn it you got me talking about food lol I can't stop now so hungry

Adding Brocoli to my list for sure, always forget about it.

Sounds great, but expensive. How much you think you spend?

Lucky for you I actually did the math yesterday

I can break down one meal for you. I get a lot of food on sale (ie: chicken breast because of such a selection):

-One chicken breast I can usually get for ~$2 CAD. A salmon filet is approximately the same price. 

-One cup of brown rice = ~$0.90

Half a big head of broccoli = ~$1.50

All the condiments/seasoning and milk per meal won't add up to more than $0.50

One meal = ~$5 (I cook $10 worth, and save the other half for lunch). Keep in mind you get a lot of nutritional goodness from this one meal. Very filling too. 

If we substitute pasta/sauce for the brown rice, it would cost a bit more ($1.50 sauce per meal, ~$0.80 pasta, $2 chicken = $4.30 - then add salad on top of that and you'll end up about $5.50)

My overall grocery budget for one month is about $300, and that constitutes absolutely everything I buy from a grocery store. Coffee, tea etc. 

A good rule of thumb that I follow in order to eat right is to stick to the outside walls of the grocery store as much as possible. This is where the fresh fruits/veggies, meats, bakery goods, and dairy/eggs are placed. In the middle aisles you will find the pre-prepared or processed foods which will cost you more to purchase and are not nearly as nutritious.

For fun, if I eat breakfast at home (say some coffee, oatmeal, a few spoonfuls of peanut butter, an apple, yogurt and a banana), I will end up spending approximately $3 on that meal. If I went to Tim hortons it would cost me $2 for the coffee alone, adding on the $5 or so of other less nutritious food ($3 for a yogurt parfait there!!!!! $3 for oatmeal!) I would end up spending twice as much money for no nutritional gain.

Anyhow I hope this helped a little. If you have anymore questions let me know or check out my Fitness Federation thread. I can talk a little about nutrition in there if I receive enough questions.

Cheers!

#1 Amb-ass-ador

Gallo pinto; a breakfast dish of rice, black beans, several veggies, salsa and eggs. Sometimes I switch the eggs out for fish.

CPJ jerk burgers which aren't really that hard to cook anyways. lol

Around the Network

I make a lot of diffrent stuff. I cook with a friend at least once a week and what we make might range from traditional cabbage dishes over onion soup or vegtable roast to homemade pizza.

I mostly live of salads (leafy greens and vegtables as well as bean and potato salads) and smoothies (although I don't know if chucking stuff into a mixer really counts as preparing food).
In winter I make a lot of soups and stews too.

One hour for an omelette? That is really slow Food!

I like making mushroom cream Sauce with rice Or noodles

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Oatmeal.

Shut up >_>

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

guiduc said:
Farsala said:

So I love food and I also love taking everyone elses ideas for foods and adding it to my own style :). I have grown rather bored of bland college kid food like Ramen, frozen pizzas and spaghetti.

Recently I made mostly Mac and Cheese, but with added hot sauce to make it not so bland. Before that everyday I made an omelette with 2 eggs, 1/3 green pepper or 1/2 onion, 3 potatoes and topped with a handful of cheese. This was satisfying but took an hour of my time everyday to cut the vegetables...

Oh you do that do? I've been doing this for a while now, it makes it taste so much better. Frank's Redhot, please.

Oh yea, I add it to anything that is bland. $2 hot sauce bottle goes a long way.

ReimTime said:
Farsala said:

Adding Brocoli to my list for sure, always forget about it.

Sounds great, but expensive. How much you think you spend?

Lucky for you I actually did the math yesterday

I can break down one meal for you. I get a lot of food on sale (ie: chicken breast because of such a selection):

-One chicken breast I can usually get for ~$2 CAD. A salmon filet is approximately the same price. 

-One cup of brown rice = ~$0.90

Half a big head of broccoli = ~$1.50

All the condiments/seasoning and milk per meal won't add up to more than $0.50

One meal = ~$5 (I cook $10 worth, and save the other half for lunch). Keep in mind you get a lot of nutritional goodness from this one meal. Very filling too. 

If we substitute pasta/sauce for the brown rice, it would cost a bit more ($1.50 sauce per meal, ~$0.80 pasta, $2 chicken = $4.30 - then add salad on top of that and you'll end up about $5.50)

My overall grocery budget for one month is about $300, and that constitutes absolutely everything I buy from a grocery store. Coffee, tea etc. 

A good rule of thumb that I follow in order to eat right is to stick to the outside walls of the grocery store as much as possible. This is where the fresh fruits/veggies, meats, bakery goods, and dairy/eggs are placed. In the middle aisles you will find the pre-prepared or processed foods which will cost you more to purchase and are not nearly as nutritious.

For fun, if I eat breakfast at home (say some coffee, oatmeal, a few spoonfuls of peanut butter, an apple, yogurt and a banana), I will end up spending approximately $3 on that meal. If I went to Tim hortons it would cost me $2 for the coffee alone, adding on the $5 or so of other less nutritious food ($3 for a yogurt parfait there!!!!! $3 for oatmeal!) I would end up spending twice as much money for no nutritional gain.

Anyhow I hope this helped a little. If you have anymore questions let me know or check out my Fitness Federation thread. I can talk a little about nutrition in there if I receive enough questions.

Cheers!

I spend about $50 USD a month on food with almost half going to drinks. Not nearly as much calories or nutrition as you but I try to at least get full from 1 meal a day. I could just drink water and be really cheap but the tap water here makes me sick. I am thinking about picking up oatmeal for breakfast and more pasta+veggies for my 3rd meal. I think it would only increase my cost by $20-$30 USD but would definitely feel worth it.

Faxanadu said:
One hour for an omelette? That is really slow Food!

I like making mushroom cream Sauce with rice Or noodles

Yeah I added potatoes and sliced them up daily, and most times onion or green pepper. Then I cooked until my potatoes browned and added eggs and cheese. I guess I forgot to mention that I do dishes right after for about 10 minutes. All in all cooking, eating and dishes amounted to 1 hour. While my Mac and cheese takes 20 min.

Here is some katsudon i made 

No I don't eat it in a bowl with chopsticks