By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - I don't like Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection so far...

I bought NDC yesterday and I'm playing Drake's Fortune on normal for the first time

I don't get why this game received so many praise too, it becomes way repetitive after a hour

But everyone says that the sequel is better, so...

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
JOKA_ said:

lets not get ahead of ourselves

3 was fantastic. 

This, and story wise it was a far bigger deviation from 2 than 2 was from 1.

In fact, I'd say that 3 was my favorite.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Normchacho said:
Mr Puggsly said:

If a game does the same thing over and over, I consider that both lazy and fear of taking risks. The four Uncharted games have just been too similar, which is why I'm hoping Uncharted 4 does something fresh.

Where does Tomb Raider lack where it tries to mimic Uncharted?

I don't have an opinion on Uncharted 4 yet. I'm hoping it feels like a fresh experience compared to the previous games. I feel like Tomb Raider took what Uncharted was doing to the next level, while Uncharted stayed deriviaive for its 4 releases. Sorry, I hope that changes with Uncharted 4.

I'm sorry, hasn't the general consensus about ROTR been that it's a great game, that mostly just refines the game that came before it?

As far as what Tomb Raider lacks? I can't speak of ROTR because I haven't played it yet, but the last one didn't have great characters or storytelling, and the set pieces felt a little too much like not-quite-as-good Uncharted.

Personally, I also found the game a bit too slow. For me, a lot of the moment to moment stuff was a bit of a slog, and Laura just not being very interesting didn't help.

I also think it's weird to want a franchise to change in it's last itteration, especially one that's been as well recieved as Uncharted. I'm not a fan of Dark Souls, but I'm not going to go around asking From Software to give the game more focus and put in a more impactful story, because that's not what the people who play those games are looking for. There are plenty of games that give me what I'm looking for, why would I need to change an existing franchise to fit my own wants and needs?

Edit: Also, ND games have seen some pretty drastic gameplay improvements over the last few years. Talking specifically of going from Uncharted 2 through The Last of Us. So it doesn't seem like much of a stretch to assume that it will get better with Uncharted 4 aswell. Actually, the beta was a bunch of fun.

P.S. I actually really like the gameplay in Uncharted 2 and especially 3.

Exactly this.  If the game really has som sort of exploration, I couldn't bother with it because everythingelse were meh.  Too slow, meh story and not all that great level design made me rush the game and get over with it.

Normchacho said:

I'm sorry, hasn't the general consensus about ROTR been that it's a great game, that mostly just refines the game that came before it?

As far as what Tomb Raider lacks? I can't speak of ROTR because I haven't played it yet, but the last one didn't have great characters or storytelling, and the set pieces felt a little too much like not-quite-as-good Uncharted.

Personally, I also found the game a bit too slow. For me, a lot of the moment to moment stuff was a bit of a slog, and Laura just not being very interesting didn't help.

I also think it's weird to want a franchise to change in it's last itteration, especially one that's been as well recieved as Uncharted. I'm not a fan of Dark Souls, but I'm not going to go around asking From Software to give the game more focus and put in a more impactful story, because that's not what the people who play those games are looking for. There are plenty of games that give me what I'm looking for, why would I need to change an existing franchise to fit my own wants and needs?

Edit: Also, ND games have seen some pretty drastic gameplay improvements over the last few years. Talking specifically of going from Uncharted 2 through The Last of Us. So it doesn't seem like much of a stretch to assume that it will get better with Uncharted 4 aswell. Actually, the beta was a bunch of fun.

P.S. I actually really like the gameplay in Uncharted 2 and especially 3.

Yeah, you could argue ROTTR is more of the last game. But the last game was more ambitious than any Uncharted game. ROTTR offers more than its predecessor. Also, we havent had four releases of it. If the next Tomb Raider is more of the same, then I will say its getting kinda tedious. Something I always appreciated about Halo is every game feels different, for better or worse.

I can be a fan of something and also be critical of it. I do like Uncharted as a whole, but if they found a way to make the levels more interesting and didnt use waves of bullet sponge enemies to pad the game out, I would like that.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Angelv577 said:

Exactly this.  If the game really has som sort of exploration, I couldn't bother with it because everythingelse were meh.  Too slow, meh story and not all that great level design made me rush the game and get over with it.

Hey, god forbid a game about an explorer have more exploration. Right?

All Im saying is Uncharted being more like Tomb Raider and less Call of Duty would be nice.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Normchacho said:
bananaking21 said:

3 was fantastic. 

This, and story wise it was a far bigger deviation from 2 than 2 was from 1.

In fact, I'd say that 3 was my favorite.

Ditto, 3 is my favorite as well.

Recently Completed

Uncharted 1 by todays standards is considered old. By development standards its over a decade old. The gameplay style set the pace for its future titles. When it came out it was one of the pinnacle games of its genre. A true credit. Its even credited with having the style that breathed new life into Tomb Raider.

elektranine said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Wow, great spin. Gameplay just gets in the way of great story telling! That's what videos game are about I guess.

Wow 'spin' you say. Facts are facts. Being an open game is just an easy way to cover up poor storytelling and bad gameplay. Games like GTA and Assassins Creed all have bad stories and limited gameplay mechanics other than 'exploring'. Being linear forces the game dev to focus exclusively on good storytelling and coherent gameplay mechanics that interact well with the environment. With open games you need none of that.

GT and AC actually have good story telling and gameplay. So do Sleeping Dogs, Infamous games, Sunset Overdrive, Red Dead Redemption, Borderlands, Oblivion and Fallout 3 are a few from the top of my head.

Linear games dont always have a great stories and their gameplay mechanics are limited as well. I made a post earlier talking about Tomb Raider is a much deeper game than Uncharted even with an open world.

In a nutshell, your argument holds no water.

Recently Completed

Hynad said:

CGI: After all this time on VGC, you should know better than to argue with Puggsly when it comes to anything Sony related.

All their games are mediocre to him. 

In this thread, he's saying every games should be open/not linear. As if there can never be a place for Contra, only Metroid. -___- 

I think its more like linear Castlevania titles vs metroidvania Castlevania.

But my feeling with Uncharted is the gameplay offers so little. Last of Us has much more emphasis on exploration and people love that game. But Uncharted (the game with an explorer) offering more exploration is a bad thing? Go figure.

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:
elektranine said:

Wow 'spin' you say. Facts are facts. Being an open game is just an easy way to cover up poor storytelling and bad gameplay. Games like GTA and Assassins Creed all have bad stories and limited gameplay mechanics other than 'exploring'. Being linear forces the game dev to focus exclusively on good storytelling and coherent gameplay mechanics that interact well with the environment. With open games you need none of that.

GT and AC actually have good story telling and gameplay. So do Sleeping Dogs, Infamous games, Sunset Overdrive, Red Dead Redemption, Borderlands, Oblivion and Fallout 3 are a few from the top of my head.

Linear games dont always have a great stories and their gameplay mechanics are limited as well. I made a post earlier talking about Tomb Raider is a much deeper game than Uncharted even with an open world.

In a nutshell, your argument holds no water.

Tomb Raider is more open than Uncharted but it uses a wealth of its elements to keep the story on target with the times. Uncharted learned from many games before it crafted the perfect style which inspired Tomb Raiders rebirth.