By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - I don't like Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection so far...

Normchacho said:
Hynad said:
CGI: After all this time on VGC, you should know better than to argue with Puggsly when it comes to Sony owned IPs.

They
In this thread, he

They...what?

For some reason, parts of my comment didn<t get through. I hit back, and I see my comment is all there. But somwhow, parts of it disappeared when I hit submit. O_o

Around the Network
Hynad said:
Normchacho said:

They...what?

For some reason, parts of my comment didn

Very strange...well, what were you going to say?

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Normchacho said:
Hynad said:

For some reason, parts of my comment didn

I edited my comment. You should be able to read it now.

Hynad said:
Normchacho said:

I edited my comment. You should be able to read it now.

Ah, thanks.

Anyways, to reply to your origional comment...well, yeah...but sometimes you just have to hold your nose and take the plunge. Besides, Puggsly really isn't that bad. He has his prefrences, but most of the time he's hardly any more dogmatic than I am.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

It sounds like you just need to practice more. Either that, or this just isn't your genre.

Around the Network
JOKA_ said:
bananaking21 said:
Uncharted 1 is meh, but 2 and 3 are great!

lets not get ahead of ourselves

3 was fantastic. 

Tomb Raider lacks appeal to old fans of the series. I didn't play the newest one just yet, but I don't like where the series is going for some years. Tomb Raider Legens was already too action packed for me, it felt more like a Call of Tomb Raider to me. Anniversary was great, really great, gave me high hopes. I also really liked Underworld. It had it's flaws (no bosses!) but I very much enjoyed the exploration and slow pace. I liked that game better than Uncharted at the time. Uncharted was too much action for me, felt like Gears of Tomb Raider with a dude.

Welp, then there came Tomb Raider after years of waiting. I was hyped as fuck! Only to get one of the biggest letdowns in my gaming career. I was so damn disappointed by that game. It just wasn't Tomb Raider at all. It's bad enough that it felt like Uncharted with boobs, but did they really have to change everything I loved about Lara? I liked her as a bad ass! There are way too less bad asses in gaming! But no, make her vulnerable, blah blah, essentially: More like Nathan Drake. Gameplay was also flawed. Survival my ass. And the shooting was ok, but not mind-blowing. I don't know about the story anymore, can't remember it. Which is a sign that it can't be that great.

All in all, it just didn't reach the quality of Uncharted. When I saw the ending credits, I thought to myself "You know what CD, when I want to play Uncharted, I just fuckin' play Uncharted! So stop raping Tomb Raider."

I will still play the new Tomb Raider once it comes out, but I'm not hyped anymore at all. But maybe low expectations are a good thing. But if you ask me, Uncharted beats modern Tomb Raider any day. Of course I'm biased. Like we all are.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

NobleTeam360 said:
elektranine said:

You do know that naughty dog are considered the masters of storytelling and gameplay and arguably even graphics. All their games are heralded as masterpieces ... Crystal Dynamics not so much. Tomb Raider had to be rebooted for a reason. 'Open' gameplay really only serves to hide bad storytelling and gameplay mechanics. Imagine if the next GTA was 'linear' you'd quickly grow bored of its bad storyline and swallow gameplay...but its 'open world' so no one will ever know. Bottom line 'linear' games require the best storylines and gameplay. The last of us is universally considered the best game to come out last gen.

They are? Never heard that before. 

Really?? You must have been living under a rock for the last couple decades. Literally every one of their IPs have been universally acclaimed from crash to jak to Uncharted to now the last of us. They have never had to reboot a series and have a constant stream of both technical and creative innovation.

Mr Puggsly said:
elektranine said:

You do know that naughty dog are considered the masters of storytelling and gameplay and arguably even graphics. All their games are heralded as masterpieces ... Crystal Dynamics not so much. Tomb Raider had to be rebooted for a reason. 'Open' gameplay really only serves to hide bad storytelling and gameplay mechanics. Imagine if the next GTA was 'linear' you'd quickly grow bored of its bad storyline and swallow gameplay...but its 'open world' so no one will ever know. Bottom line 'linear' games require the best storylines and gameplay. The last of us is universally considered the best game to come out last gen.

Wow, great spin. Gameplay just gets in the way of great story telling! That's what videos game are about I guess.

Wow 'spin' you say. Facts are facts. Being an open game is just an easy way to cover up poor storytelling and bad gameplay. Games like GTA and Assassins Creed all have bad stories and limited gameplay mechanics other than 'exploring'. Being linear forces the game dev to focus exclusively on good storytelling and coherent gameplay mechanics that interact well with the environment. With open games you need none of that.

elektranine said:

Being linear forces the game dev to focus exclusively on good storytelling and coherent gameplay mechanics that interact well with the environment.

Eh, that's not true at all. There are plenty of linear games that doesn't focus (nor they're forced to) on telling a good story, but rather, polishing a top notch gameplay. Just because a game is linear doesn't mean the game will have a great story; that's ultimately up to the developer, not to the "genre" itself.

Unless you think games like Serious Sam or Vanquish deserve an award for their writing.