By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Bernie Sanders confuses me

fatslob-:O said:
His proposals are bat shit insane from an economical standpoint ...

His solution is totally robbing businesses of any money ...

How?

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

Around the Network

Basically none of that will get passed.

hershel_layton said:

His plans for America make me skeptical- $15 minimum wage, free college, universal health care, etc etc.

I understand European countries doing so, but America? An extremely important country with 300 million civilians in it? Can Bernie's vision of a country benefit us? 

Our debt is already bad as it is. Wouldn't his goals make our debt skyrocket once again?

We already pay more per-capita for healthcare and education that pretty every other developed nation in the world. Going to a European system would likely save us money.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Normchacho said:

We already pay more per-capita for healthcare and education that pretty every other developed nation in the world. Going to a European system would likely save us money.

This. Student loan debt has surpassed credit card debt already. 

Actually, I'd like to expand on my last post by talking about Bernie Sanders infrastructure plan.

Bernie Sanders wants to spend $1 Trillion over a five year period to fix Americas infrastructure. That $200 billion a year seems like an awful lot of money, right? But, here's the thing. It's very expensive to let the roads get worse too.

The American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) reports that 32% of American roads are in disrepair, and that the current state of Americas roadways costs the U.S. $67 billion a year in increased operating and repair costs. That's more than $320 per driver, per year.

To make matters worse, the primary way the Federal Government funds infrastructure in this country (the gas tax) has been gutted. For one, only half of the gas tax goes into the Highway Trust Fund (you have Bill Clinton to thank for that), and, the gas tax hasn't been raised since 1993.

Long story short, many of our major systems (education, health care, infrastructure, ect.) need to be fixed, and that won't happen until someone is willing to spend the time and money necessary to do so.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Normchacho said:

Yeah though it's mostly the interest rates that scared the crap out of me. Between 5%-7%? That's absolutely criminal. Here(the Netherlands) the interest rates you pay on student loans are lower then the rates you get on a savings account, and get adjusted on a regular basis. I used to pay about 1,2% but now that the rate on state bonds that the government have to pay are still at an all time low, and with the ECB printing money, i currently pay 0,05%. And no that's not a typo.

AnthonyW86 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Yeah though it's mostly the interest rates that scared the crap out of me. Between 5%-7%? That's absolutely criminal. Here(the Netherlands) the interest rates you pay on student loans are lower then the rates you get on a savings account, and get adjusted on a regular basis. I used to pay about 1,2% but now that the rate on state bonds that the government have to pay are still at an all time low, and with the ECB printing money, i currently pay 0,05%. And no that's not a typo.

Holly Shit...Are you serious? The current interest rate for "Federally Subsidized Student Loans" (the most common type of financial aid available to students in the U.S.) is 4.29%. Oh, and that doesn't include the 1.073% "Loan Fee",  because I guess we can all go fuck ourselves.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

Normchacho said:
AnthonyW86 said:

Holly Shit...Are you serious? The current interest rate for "Federally Subsidized Student Loans" (the most common type of financial aid available to students in the U.S.) is 4.29%. Oh, and that doesn't include the 1.073% "Loan Fee",  because I guess we can all go fuck ourselves.

Meanwhile US federal bonds have interest rates of what? 1%? 1.5%? Damn, what a rip off.

Normchacho said:
AnthonyW86 said:

Like i said that's just criminal, having people go to college is an investment in the future generation of a country. No reason why they would have to make money on those debts.

And yes i'm serious, here the interest rate you pay is connected to the interest rates de government pays on it's bonds(always a little higher). That way the rates are a low as possible but just high enough that it doesn't cost the government money, wich i think is fair. And since there is still kind of an Euro crisis going on and The Netherlands and Germany are the only Euro countries left with a AAA rating, there is massive demand for the state bonds driving down the interest rates. And now the ECB is printing money and buying bonds aswell to drive up inflation. The government actually makes money on some bonds because they have a negative interest rate. That means they get paid for loaning money.

Every American citizen would have to pay at least a comparable flat rate of 10% for Sander's plan to work and that's not even adding the already existing government expenses ...

Tons of businesses will be tempted to leave the US to do it's operations elsewhere ...