By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Which Fire Emblem game should I play first?

Super_Boom said:
My personal favorites are Fire Emblem 9 and 10, or Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. They can be a little difficult in comparison, but the characters and story are my favorite in the franchise.

I'd say that Awakening and Fire Emblem 7 (no number or subtitle in the west) are the most accessible though...and do the best job easing you into the gameplay. I'd lean with 7 because I love sprites, but you really can't go wrong.

I agree with Supa here. Either Awakening or FE7 (Or Blazing Sword) are the best ones to start on. Awakening is one of the more open games for new players, with easier difficulty and turning permadeath off. FE7 also does a good job of walking you through it. It does feel very hand-holdy, but it assures you get the mechanics of the game down. And if you play it again on hard mode, it turns off the tutorials xD

You can get FE7 on the Wii U E-shop. Yay! xD And Awakening, on the 3DS. Not too hard to get either one.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network

Fire Emblem GBA...just for appreciation value. If you start with Awakening first, you may not appreciate previous titles then.

Clyde32 said:
Pineapple said:

For the most part, every Fire Emblem game is standalone.

This is actually not true at all. For the most part every fire emblem game has a prequel/sequel tied to it's world. 

By standalone, he means that you don't need to play any other game to completely understand what's going on in the current game. The only exceptions I can think of are Thracia, which without knowledge of its predecessor feels really odd at the time skip, and Radiant Dawn, which directly builds and relies upon its prequel.

noname2200 said:
Clyde32 said:

This is actually not true at all. For the most part every fire emblem game has a prequel/sequel tied to it's world. 

By standalone, he means that you don't need to play any other game to completely understand what's going on in the current game. The only exceptions I can think of are Thracia, which without knowledge of its predecessor feels really odd at the time skip, and Radiant Dawn, which directly builds and relies upon its prequel.

You're absolutely right, that's what I meant.

I think both Radiant Dawn fits perfectly well as a standalone game. Playing Path of Radiance adds something to Radiant Dawn, but it's not necessary to understand anything in Radiant Dawn's story. I played Radiant Dawn first, and was at the time not even aware that there was a prequel to it.

I'm not sure about Thracia 776, because I don't remember it as well. It starts out by explaining everything reasonably well, but the game might feel a bit pointless if you haven't played Genealogy first.

You also have Blazing Sword, but while that is indeed a prequel to Binding Blade, playing one adds virtually nothing to the other. In fact, they arguably make a worse plot together than individually. 

In general I think every Fire Emblem apart from the first, second and Thracia makes a nice starting point, assuming you can live with the simple graphics. They all have their own plots that require no prior knowledge, and they all explain to you how to play the game.

Blazing Sword or just Fire Emblem in the states.

What? You were expecting something else?

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Around the Network

I thought that everybody was going to tell me to play Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon first since it´s a remake of the first game :P
So now I´m going to play Awakening :)

Thread moved to Nintendo Discussion.

OP: Awakening. The most welcoming for starters.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Fire Emblem Awakening.

Awakening would be a good start like most people like me. I'm also interest in the previous FE games, that Wii game though is too expensive. Hope WiiU would get it on VC.

Awakening or Blazing Sword. They're not too expensive and they're more accessible gameplay wise compared to others.. Add to the fact that they're great games. You don't necessarily need other games to really get a hold of what their main plots are.