By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Which Fire Emblem game should I play first?

Fire Emblem 7. It has a nice tutorial that you can't skip, and that's probably going to annoy you if you go back and play it. Personally I think Path of Radiance would be the best start simply because the Tellius saga was the best in the series.

Around the Network
Pineapple said:

For the most part, every Fire Emblem game is standalone.

This is actually not true at all. For the most part every fire emblem game has a prequel/sequel tied to it's world. 

Awakening of Blazing Sword (FE 7)

Those are really good to get started.. Awakening is on the easier side but is still really fun to play, whereas FE 7 is a classic

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Paatar said:
burninmylight said:

You aren't finding the Radiant games anywhere for cheap. I paid $75 for my copy of Radiant Dawn last summer.

But yeah, start with Awakening. Easily accessible, most newcomer friendly, and although there are elements of the lore that will mean more to you if you are a longtime fan, you are not at all required to have played any previous games to get it. Fates is also it's own completely independent story and lore.

Yeah they aren't cheap... Unfortunately.

I experienced that first hand.  Luckily I bought Radiant Dawn years ago as my introduction to the series and absolutely loved it.  I have tried to buy Path of Radiance so many times, but it is incredibly expensive.  

Playing Xenoblade 2 before I buy Xenoblade 3 (otherwise I couldn't wait to play 3).

Can they announce a new Fire Emblem? A remake of Genealogy or Tellius would suffice !

If you only have handheld systems, definately get Awakening. Play it on casual mode the first time if you aren't confident and I'm sure you will love it!

Playing Xenoblade 2 before I buy Xenoblade 3 (otherwise I couldn't wait to play 3).

Can they announce a new Fire Emblem? A remake of Genealogy or Tellius would suffice !

Around the Network

My personal favorites are Fire Emblem 9 and 10, or Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. They can be a little difficult in comparison, but the characters and story are my favorite in the franchise.

I'd say that Awakening and Fire Emblem 7 (no number or subtitle in the west) are the most accessible though...and do the best job easing you into the gameplay. I'd lean with 7 because I love sprites, but you really can't go wrong.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Awakening, it may not be the best one overall but sure is the best one to begin with.

Olivernintentoal said:
Paatar said:

I experienced that first hand.  Luckily I bought Radiant Dawn years ago as my introduction to the series and absolutely loved it.  I have tried to buy Path of Radiance so many times, but it is incredibly expensive.  

I completely lucked into PoR. Back in '08, my only knowledge of FE was that those bishounen with swords in Smash were from it. I gave my GameCube to my nephew because I had a Wii, and one of  his friends from school gave him PoR because the friend thought it sucked. My nephew also didn't get it and thought it was dumb, so he gave it to me (they were in middle school; they  were into sports games, Need For Speed and shooters. They didn't get RPGS and games that required that kind of strategy). I popped it into my Wii one day, and it blew my ass away.

Awakening was my first Fire Emblem game, and it quickly became one of my favorite games of all time. I think it's a fantastic starting point.

Upcoming Games To Get

Definite: Kirby Star Allies (Switch), Mario Tennis Aces (Switch), Fire Emblem (Switch), Yoshi (Switch), Pokemon (Switch), Kingdom Hearts 3 (PS4), Monster Hunter World (PS4)

Considering: Fe (Switch), Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Switch), The World Ends With You (Switch), Ys VIII (Switch), Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition (PS4), Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Remix (PS4), The Last Guardian (PS4), Shadow of the Colossus HD (PS4), Anthem (PS4), Shenmue 3 (PS4), WiLD (PS4)

Olivernintentoal said:
Paatar said:

It was my introduction to the series as well! I bought it because I had just gotten a Wii and my local store had one copy. I was still young and I was just looking for a new game and I thought the box art looked cool so I got it. Very glad I did.

I got lucky on PoR but TBH I'm not a huge fan of it. Idk why.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]