By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is treating Amiibo as On Disc DLC

AlfredoTurkey said:
I'll say it once and I'll say it a million more times... DLC, in any form, is evil.

Fallout and borderlands included?

Around the Network
Cloudman said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
I'll say it once and I'll say it a million more times... DLC, in any form, is evil.

No, I wouldn't say dlc is evil. It's a good way to extend the life of a game, though it's easily been turned into a bad thing these days... : /

This.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

It's an ingenious form of disc based DLC wrapped up in a figurine that can be sold online for very inflated prices because nintendo's intentional amiibo "shortages".

Cream147 said:
No, I do agree with the point people are making that these features wouldn't have been included without Amiibo. I certainly don't think the thought process behind these features is "What can we take out of the game and lock behind Amiibo", I do believe it is "What can we add to the game to give Amiibo functionality". That doesn't change the fact that it is essentially on-disc DLC.

For some games that's likely the case, but not for all. Splatoon, Mario Party, Hyrule Warriors, Woolly World etc. definitely lean more towards locking preexisting content, but yeah this is a mute point anyway.

Cloudman said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

No, I wouldn't say dlc is evil. It's a good way to extend the life of a game, though it's easily been turned into a bad thing these days... : /

You think you're getting an "extention" but what you're really getting is code that was written and removed for later profit. Wouldn't you rather said content be put in the game at launch and have it all day one, for $60.00? I know I would. Paying $120.00 for games is not something I consider a good idea. 

So, again... evil.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
Cloudman said:

You think you're getting an "extention" but what you're really getting is code that was written and removed for later profit. Wouldn't you rather said content be put in the game at launch and have it all day one, for $60.00? I know I would. Paying $120.00 for games is not something I consider a good idea. 

So, again... evil.

No, not all games are like that. There are some games where the content is post made. Sure, you could say they could keep delaying the game, but if they did that for Smash for example, we'd probably have to wait another year or more just to get everything... or Sakurai would finally give out from burnout! And there are times when companies just... give you more for free. So yeah, not all bad. xD

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Cloudman said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

So, again... evil.

No, not all games are like that. There are some games where the content is post made. Sure, you could say they could keep delaying the game, but if they did that for Smash for example, we'd probably have to wait another year or more just to get everything... or Sakurai would finally give out from burnout! And there are times when companies just... give you more for free. So yeah, not all bad. xD

I'd rather them start working on a new game personally. DLC never gives me the same kick that an entirely new game does. DLC for GTA5 is not nearly as good as GTA6 will be and if they stopped creating crap for old games, they'd get newer games out sooner. 

Either way, it's exploiting us for more money. It's revenue based.