By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Ted Cruz first ever Hispanic primary/caucus winner.

mornelithe said:
SamuelRSmith said:

So I was just wondering why nobody cares about this? I figure if a Democrat had just achieved that, the media would be going ballistic right now.

Not only did Cruz win, he won with more votes than any Republican has ever received in the Iowa caucus. A close third, Marco Rubio, is also Hispanic (and he's the current bookie's favourite to win), and a black man came fourth. Between the three of them, they account for about 60% of the vote total.

Yet Republicans are racist, right? Or has that meme finished, and they're sexist now? You know, because Hillary's running.

Probably because of the circumstances surrounding his win.  I mean, on the one hand yes, it's historic.  On the other, his campaign most certainly broadcast faulty information regarding Ben Carson's campaign, as well as some seriously sketchy shit regarding a mailer sent to voters insinuating voting 'violations':

"You are receiving this election notice because of low expected voter turnout in your area. Your individual voting history as well as your neighbors' are public record. Their scores are published below, and many of them will see your score as well. CAUCUS ON MONDAY TO IMPROVE YOUR SCORE and please encourage your neighbors to caucus as well. A follow-up notice may be issued following Monday's caucuses."

"Accusing citizens of Iowa of a "voting violation" based on Iowa Caucus participation, or lack thereof, is false representation of an official act,"

"There is no such thing as an election violation related to frequency of voting. Any insinuation or statement to the contrary is wrong and I believe it is not in keeping in the spirit of the Iowa Caucuses."

When confronted by a reporter, Cruz stated:

"I will apologize to no one for using every tool we can to encourage Iowa voters to come out and vote," he said.

It's cool he won, but he clearly behaved in a very very shady manner.

Only stupid people would believe there was such a thing as a voting violation that could be punishable by law (which the flyer never mentioned any type of punishment for the "violation.")  Those types of flyers have been used before, for many different candidates.  Why haven't they been shamed before?  Cause they are trying to find any dirt they can on Cruz.  Obviously there isn't much if this is what they have to resort to.

Around the Network
thranx said:
KLAMarine said:
thranx said:

Republicans are more diverse. Democrats are the mot rascist people i know. They are the "masters" as they see it. Do as they say or your wrong and rascist. heaven forbid people think for themselves. I am extremely happy with how diverse the republican party has become. The tea party is pretty diverse alo (alhtough they are not a political party just yet)

This sort of rhetoric is nothing but counterproductive. Shameful.

No rhetoric here. I am glad that the republican party is represented by all the people that make up america. Its whats needed. Not talking heads saying people are equal but acting and doing otherwise. Same with the tea party.

I was referring to the sweeping generalizations in your post.

thismeintiel said:
mornelithe said:

Probably because of the circumstances surrounding his win.  I mean, on the one hand yes, it's historic.  On the other, his campaign most certainly broadcast faulty information regarding Ben Carson's campaign, as well as some seriously sketchy shit regarding a mailer sent to voters insinuating voting 'violations':

"You are receiving this election notice because of low expected voter turnout in your area. Your individual voting history as well as your neighbors' are public record. Their scores are published below, and many of them will see your score as well. CAUCUS ON MONDAY TO IMPROVE YOUR SCORE and please encourage your neighbors to caucus as well. A follow-up notice may be issued following Monday's caucuses."

"Accusing citizens of Iowa of a "voting violation" based on Iowa Caucus participation, or lack thereof, is false representation of an official act,"

"There is no such thing as an election violation related to frequency of voting. Any insinuation or statement to the contrary is wrong and I believe it is not in keeping in the spirit of the Iowa Caucuses."

When confronted by a reporter, Cruz stated:

"I will apologize to no one for using every tool we can to encourage Iowa voters to come out and vote," he said.

It's cool he won, but he clearly behaved in a very very shady manner.

Only stupid people would believe there was a thing as a voting violation that would be punishable by law.  Those types of flyers have been used before, for many different candidates.  Why haven't they been shamed before?  Cause they are trying to find any dirt they can on Cruz.  Obviously there isn't much if this is what they have to resort to.

Sorry, I perceive this response as a similar example of deflection that Hillary Clinton and the Liberal left are using to attempt to condone her issues w/ using encrypted Government email systems, as opposed to non-Gov servers.  Just because it's been done before, and that person got away with it, doesn't make it right, or ok.   Yes, Condaleeza Rice, and Colon Powell sent emails that would later be deemed to have classified information in them.  Even worse, Karl Rove deleted 22 Million emails.  

Clinton = 50,000 

Karl Rove = 22,000,000

Why that wasn't made a huge deal of back then is a travesty.  Why Rove didn't face anything near the level of scrutiny Clinton has, is a travesty.  That does NOT absolve Clinton.  Nor does the fact that people have behaved in a shady fashion in elections before, absolve Cruz.  That's a seriously fucked up world perspective.

You also assume that your average joe schmoe living in Iowa knows the intricacies of Caucus law in Iowa.  I would imagine they do not.  In fact, I'd imagine very few of them realized that in a tie, a coin toss could actually choose the winner of the Caucus.

method114 said:
SamuelRSmith said:

So I was just wondering why nobody cares about this? I figure if a Democrat had just achieved that, the media would be going ballistic right now.

Not only did Cruz win, he won with more votes than any Republican has ever received in the Iowa caucus. A close third, Marco Rubio, is also Hispanic (and he's the current bookie's favourite to win), and a black man came fourth. Between the three of them, they account for about 60% of the vote total.

Yet Republicans are racist, right? Or has that meme finished, and they're sexist now? You know, because Hillary's running.

I keep hearing this argument and I don't get it. It's not like people were saying all republicans are racist. Peoplel say this because if your a racist your most likely a republican wouldn't you agree?

You need to meet some southern democrats.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

thranx said:
Republicans are more diverse. Democrats are the mot rascist people i know. They are the "masters" as they see it. Do as they say or your wrong and rascist. heaven forbid people think for themselves. I am extremely happy with how diverse the republican party has become. The tea party is pretty diverse alo (alhtough they are not a political party just yet)

LOL, exactly what drug are you on have you actually ever seen a tea party rally at most there are one or two token minorities the only thing that would be less diverse is a KKK rally.

Around the Network

Why does everyone care so much for the caucus?

Remember how Mike Huckabee beat Romney? Which one ended up being nominated again...?

Also, the Republican party is a joke. The Democratic party is a joke as well. Politicians are nothing but con-men/women(gender equality). Any sane person should realize that the president we actually need is ignored. Why? Because they aren't liars and actually make an impact.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

hershel_layton said:

Remember how Mike Huckabee beat Romney? Which one ended up being nominated again...?

Also, the Republican party is a joke. The Democratic party is a joke as well. Politicians are nothing but con-men/women(gender equality). Any sane person should realize that the president we actually need is ignored. Why? Because they aren't liars and actually make an impact.

I don't really care about the Caucus, but I do care how politicians carry themselves throughout these campaigns.

Bolded - True statements, that's the problem.  You've got crazies on both sides, and a Congress largely filled with them, and that makes for a fucked up choice coming up for the American people.

mornelithe said:
hershel_layton said:

I don't really care about the Caucus, but I do care how politicians carry themselves throughout these campaigns.

Bolded - True statements, that's the problem.  You've got crazies on both sides, and a Congress largely filled with them, and that makes for a fucked up choice coming up for the American people.

People usually say I'm the problem because I simply criticize the parties without a solution. I'd tell a solution if these things weren't rigged. We all know deep down in our brains that the most batshit crazy people get elected. 

Sanity=no chance

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

I was thinking the same thing lol. Besides Trump none of the current candidates could be called WASP. None of them feel token about it either. Now all the Republican party has to do is drop the damn social conservativism, police statism, and various "war on x"s and they can be the party of freedom and liberty again. Not betting on it though. I think it is more likely both they and the Dems will self destruction in the nexy few decades and we'll have a new two party system that will carry the Federalist vs. Anti-federalist tradition.

Ka-pi96 said:
He's Hispanic? Looks pretty white to me...

If one were to located Hispania on a Roman map what continent would it be on? That should resolve your confusion.