By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Ted Cruz first ever Hispanic primary/caucus winner.

So I was just wondering why nobody cares about this? I figure if a Democrat had just achieved that, the media would be going ballistic right now.

Not only did Cruz win, he won with more votes than any Republican has ever received in the Iowa caucus. A close third, Marco Rubio, is also Hispanic (and he's the current bookie's favourite to win), and a black man came fourth. Between the three of them, they account for about 60% of the vote total.

Yet Republicans are racist, right? Or has that meme finished, and they're sexist now? You know, because Hillary's running.

Around the Network
SamuelRSmith said:

So I was just wondering why nobody cares about this? I figure if a Democrat had just achieved that, the media would be going ballistic right now.

Not only did Cruz win, he won with more votes than any Republican has ever received in the Iowa caucus. A close third, Marco Rubio, is also Hispanic (and he's the current bookie's favourite to win), and a black man came fourth. Between the three of them, they account for about 60% of the vote total.

Yet Republicans are racist, right? Or has that meme finished, and they're sexist now? You know, because Hillary's running.

I keep hearing this argument and I don't get it. It's not like people were saying all republicans are racist. Peoplel say this because if your a racist your most likely a republican wouldn't you agree?

What do you mean by "winner"? I don't follow American politics.

SamuelRSmith said:

O_o... So if you don't hate every single member of every single minority, you can't be racist? 

Also the first canadian

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:

In the early stages of the Presidential election, members from each party run against each other in each state to see who will represent the party in the general election. Right now, only Republicans are voting in these primaries against other Republicans. Ted Cruz won the Iowa primary with the most votes.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

SamuelRSmith said:

Republicans and racism or sexism is like Islam and terrorism.

Not all Muslims are terrorists, but most terrorists are Muslim, at this moment in history (30 years ago, I'd be saying this about the Irish). By that same token, not all Republicans are sexist or racist, but most racists and sexists are Republican. 

Some principles of American liberalism are acceptance of other cultures and being pro women's rights. Most people against those lean conservative, and thus, Republican. But not all Republicans subscribe to that.

outlawauron said:
Slimebeast said:

In the early stages of the Presidential election, members from each party run against each country in each states to see who will represent the party in the general election. Right now, only Republicans are voting in these primaries against other Republicans. Ted Cruz won the Iowa primary with the most votes.

Thanks. So it's only on the state level.

Ka-pi96 said:
He's Hispanic? Looks pretty white to me...

That's because Hispanics are not even a race (in "human racial" terms). There are White Hispanics, Black Hispanics, Native American Hispanics, and a mix of two of the three or all three. It is merely an ethnic and/or cultural identity. It's why there are Latinos that look African, Latinos that look European, Latinos with majority Native American ancestry (such as those in Central America), and those who are mixed (like me).

Ka-pi96 said:
He's Hispanic? Looks pretty white to me...

His real first name is Rafael

Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda!!!!