By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Okay, I got an XB1! (Updated)

Should I get an XB1?

Yes 150 45.18%

No 142 42.77%

Only if more decent exclusives are confirmed. 40 12.05%

Total:332
CGI-Quality said:
WoodenPints said:

There really isn't any noticeable differences in graphics even if most of the Internet these days says that there is and its by far Superior on PS4 maybe if you load both versions up and eagle eye every detail but other than that you will never notice the difference whilst your having fun.

The differences aren't very major, no, but they are certainly noticeable. Especially when comparing 900 to 1080p. The difference in blur is there, before we even get to higher quality textures and/or shadows.

Recently, they have shrunk considerably. Now the only problem is dynamic resolution, but the FPS and graphical quality all seem to have been bridged... 

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
AsGryffynn said:

Recently, they have shrunk considerably. Now the only problem is dynamic resolution, but the FPS and graphical quality all seem to have been bridged... 

In some recent cases, not all. The differences will always exist. To what degree will boil down to the individual dev.

They seem to be non existent recently. I don't recall the uproar that was more often a thing during the earlier days... 

CGI-Quality said:
AsGryffynn said:

They seem to be non existent recently. I don't recall the uproar that was more often a thing during the earlier days... 

What recent are we talking here?

Rainbow Six: Seige

Fallout 4

Black Ops III

Battlefront

Need for Speed

Syndicate

Nov/Dec 2015 games. The same type of differences we've seen all gen. The only reason the "uproar" has somewhat settled is because people have come to accept these discrepancies. They'll continue as long as one machine has a bit more juice to squeeze.

Edit:  Not to misunderstand me, I'm not saying there will never be situations where things are even, but that is on the dev, and not the machine.

Perhaps I should've referred to the upcoming ones instead. That said, I feel I should inform you that the Fallout 4 thing was not GPU related, but a hard drive issue that is solved by using an SSD (which ironically degrades performance on the other). For the sake of being fair I will also leave DICE games out there since they have proven consistenly awful (900p on the PS4 when there are more impressive games hitting 1080p on the XONE). The Syndicate one does seem accurate, though it does note how the XONE benefitted from crowded areas due to the faster processor (and that's the point I am getting).

People seem to take it for granted that in any fair instance a game runs better on the PS4. However, it depends on how the game is created. The difference between Syndicate and Unity itself is the most obvious lead, since it shows that the XONE can outperform the PS4 if a game is processor intensive (rather than GPU intensive, like Syndicate). Taking this into account allows for any gap to be bridged by taking different approaches to a game that play to the console's strenghts (as you said, this depends on the dev, but there is no more to each console than there is to the other).

MikeRox said:

Games themselves, Sunset Overdrive is the only native XB1 game I've played so far, but graphically certainly seems on par with the ps4 exclusives to me. I went in expecting a noticeable downgrade visually but it's not there.

What PS4 exclusives are you comparing S.O. with? Certainly you don't mean all.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
CGI-Quality said:
AsGryffynn said:

Perhaps I should've referred to the upcoming ones instead. That said, I feel I should inform you that the Fallout 4 thing was not GPU related, but a hard drive issue that is solved by using an SSD (which ironically degrades performance on the other). For the sake of being fair I will also leave DICE games out there since they have proven consistenly awful (900p on the PS4 when there are more impressive games hitting 1080p on the XONE). The Syndicate one does seem accurate, though it does note how the XONE benefitted from crowded areas due to the faster processor (and that's the point I am getting).

People seem to take it for granted that in any fair instance a game runs better on the PS4. However, it depends on how the game is created. The difference between Syndicate and Unity itself is the most obvious lead, since it shows that the XONE can outperform the PS4 if a game is processor intensive (rather than GPU intensive, like Syndicate). Taking this into account allows for any gap to be bridged by taking different approaches to a game that play to the console's strenghts (as you said, this depends on the dev, but there is no more to each console than there is to the other).

I hear your points, but there's a bottom line that just needs to be understood and we can move on. No matter the details, the systems will always have games produced with differences, with the PS4 usually coming out on top. No matter how "big" or "small". They aren't going to go away.

We're getting way off topic, now, so there's no real need to continue on it.

The only bottom line here is that either console can outperform the other depending on the game. It's all on the dev to decide whether they want to clutter the GP or CP no U... 

deskpro2k3 said:
MikeRox said:

Games themselves, Sunset Overdrive is the only native XB1 game I've played so far, but graphically certainly seems on par with the ps4 exclusives to me. I went in expecting a noticeable downgrade visually but it's not there.

Wut. What PS4 exclusives are you comparing S.O. with?

I don't know, but I have compared Halo 5 to Killzone and both versions of Fallout 4 (and the latter in an SSD seems to have the edge during shootouts)... 

Around the Network

As you wish... so long as my point also stays...

AsGryffynn said:

I don't know, but I have compared Halo 5 to Killzone and both versions of Fallout 4 (and the latter in an SSD seems to have the edge during shootouts)... 

I appreciate your input but, OP said S.O. looks on par with PS4 exclusives. I'm asking him to be more specific because, IMO all the games you list up there looks graphically better in terms of detail than S.O.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

Reading your subsequent posts, it seems like you don't regret your console purchase! What's your Gamertag? I'd love to follow your X-ploits* online.

*The term "X-ploits" is a copyright of Lewis, Lewis, and Boobs. All rights reserved.

deskpro2k3 said:
AsGryffynn said:

I appreciate your input but, OP said S.O. looks on par with PS4 exclusives. I'm asking him to be more specific because, IMO all the games you list up there looks graphically better in terms of detail than S.O.

I don't think SO is really good for a comparison. Halo 5 seems to look well, as even the dynamic resolution only kicks in when playing the completely disastrous open world Warzone maps.

As a whole, the difference between consoles is irreconciliable. One has processing power, the other graphical power. Some games use the former, but most will prefer the later. However, you can rewire it to use the former, hence why both can rival each other when good programmers are in charge (case in point, Mad Max was a game that ran slightly better on the XONE, and so did Unity, since they relied more on processing than rendering. Fallout 4 can perform slightly better or the same when using an SSD that eliminates the decompression bottlenecks when loading). It's not that there isn't a difference, but when you look at it from another angle, you realize that it isn't that big in the grand scheme of things. 

I know what I am saying because I know for one that gaming doesn't use the same resources as heavy processing. There's a reason Intel Ivy Bridges at twice the clock rate of their slower APU counterparts still ran slower even with a better GPU... 

Sony did it right by designing a console. MS screwed up because they didn't create a console. They created a computer. 

Back on track. OP, I suggest you register on Halo Way Point and join a company ASAP.

Keep out of Warzone for the time being (Assault is fair game). The regulars are farming XP for the Achilles armor... 

d21lewis said:
Reading your subsequent posts, it seems like you don't regret your console purchase! What's your Gamertag? I'd love to follow your X-ploits* online.

*The term "X-ploits" is a copyright of Lewis, Lewis, and Boobs. All rights reserved.

I want yours too! It's rare I can play with other fellow Euros nowadays... Mine's on my GamerCard down below... 

deskpro2k3 said:
MikeRox said:

What PS4 exclusives are you comparing S.O. with? Certainly you don't mean all.

From the ones out around the same time. So first 12 months or so.

That said even the stuff like The Order isnt ZOMG what a huge step forwards comparatively. (Note this isnt under a microscope side by side stuff it's just general looking at the game running on my TV)

Gears of War on the other hand so far looks pretty underwhelming to me visually in single player.

But my comment was more meant to highlight I expected a pretty big technical gap in the exclusives (think PS2 being Xbox One to PS4 being original Xbox) and the difference is so much smaller it just struck me.

Really does make the bickering seem incredibly trivial on "battle of the ports".

Look at comparisons of 80s games across spectrum, commodore 64, Amiga and Amstrad etc to see just how big differences in games used to be. It seems the closer to parity weve become in games, the bigger the shouting about the differences has become.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.