By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A question concerning economics & minimum wage

Should the minimum wage be increased to $15?

Yes, for all jobs. 47 37.60%

Yes, but only for certain jobs. 11 8.80%

No, only for more professional jobs. 10 8.00%

No, not at all. 44 35.20%

Other/ N/A 13 10.40%

Total:125
Groundking said:
Sharpryno said:

Yes, IIRC, Sanders plan is as followed:

2017: $9.25/hour
2018: $10.75/hour
2019: $12.50/hour
2020: $15.00/hour

Or something similiar.  My only complaint is rural areas that  can be problematic.  But most places, perfectly acceptable.  Corporations and republicans have literally brain washed people into think minimum wage is fine where it is.  And that is a massive joke.  I make north of 70 grand a year about 6 months after college and I am in massive favor of it rising.  Too many people I know back home where I am from have to live with those shitty jobs and make slave wages. 

If you somehow get away from these slave wage jobs, government assistance would be much less in regards to welfare.  Think big businesses give a shit if you have to live off the government as well as work in order to live life, negative.  

America is falling behind other countries because of corporate greed with examples being this, healthcare, college tuition and so much more.  

Actually the standard of living for the poorest 10% of America is a fair bit higher than most European countries, with only Sweden (massive gas producer) Canada, Australia and another country that I can't remember, with any significantly higher standard of living for the bottom 10%. 

Norway?

Around the Network
StuOhQ said:

I'm glad that Alfredo Turkey took the time to debunk the rumor that the minimum wage was created for dependant (child) workers.

It was to ensure that every person who works a full time job can live comfortably. Not unreasonable, by a long stretch.

"Decent living" doesn't include luxuries like cable TV, cell phones, internet/computers, and video games. People expectations of what is needed is far different than what it was when minimum wage was introduced.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Teeqoz said:
Groundking said:

Actually the standard of living for the poorest 10% of America is a fair bit higher than most European countries, with only Sweden (massive gas producer) Canada, Australia and another country that I can't remember, with any significantly higher standard of living for the bottom 10%. 

Norway?

It might be, I honestly can't remember haha, if it's not then I think it would be Switzerland. But I'm certain that the poorest 10% in Brittain, Germany, Italy, France and Spain are all significantly worse (I mean, there's an area near where I live in England that has a life expectancy of something horrific like 60, and it's not even the most deprived area in the UK FFS)

I am not an expert but this is how I see it. Since companies operate at a specific profit margin, a raise in wages will lead to a raise in operating expenses which will also lead to a decrease in profit. In order to sustain the intended profit, they either have to raise prices of their products or services or lay off employees to offset the raise in operating expenses so yeah, I don't think it is the proper way to go.

It's a terrible idea, they will just automate those jobs if they have to pay out $120 per person per day. How hard would it be to just install a touch screen, how many jobs already have self checkout, or atm's, retail jobs are slowly dying, this is just the express way to get rid of them all.

Liberals don't get it, minimum wage jobs are for experience and extra money. They are not meant to be careers. And if Bernie gets in, your free 4 year college will be offset by paying for the next 30 years for everyone else's free college. Bernie doesn't get it, it doesn't work in other countries and it will never happen in America. He won't get any of his garbage idea through congress anyway, if he even lives through his first term. They said John McCain was to old and Bernie Sanders, I mean BS, is gonna be 75 if he gets in.

Around the Network
MegaManX said:
It's a terrible idea, they will just automate those jobs if they have to pay out $120 per person per day. How hard would it be to just install a touch screen, how many jobs already have self checkout, or atm's, retail jobs are slowly dying, this is just the express way to get rid of them all.

Liberals don't get it, minimum wage jobs are for experience and extra money. They are not meant to be careers. And if Bernie gets in, your free 4 year college will be offset by paying for the next 30 years for everyone else's free college. Bernie doesn't get it, it doesn't work in other countries and it will never happen in America. He won't get any of his garbage idea through congress anyway, if he even lives through his first term. They said John McCain was to old and Bernie Sanders, I mean BS, is gonna be 75 if he gets in.

While I agree with you that $15/hr is too high for low-skill workers, I don't appreciate you (or anyone) putting anyone else into one bucket. For instance, I'm very socially liberal but fiscally conservative. One more correction: businesses already pay workers who work an 8 hour day a minimum of $58/day, so the increase will be $62/day. It's still a lot, but when presenting the stats it's important to take into account the change, not the total.

It's not necessarily that 'liberals don't get it', they just want people to make a livable wage, which is fair, but unrealistically naive when you consider the market has priced low-skilled labor way below that. I think what the supporters (and even those against it) don't get is the exact impact it will have on the economy. The only way to know for sure is to see what happens if it's implemented.

I think the elephant in the room is that capitalism is fundamentally at odds with the well being of those at the bottom of the economic ladder, and more concerned with efficiency, which is why those at the bottom have a hard time climbing out and those at the top continue to enjoy the spoils. 

If we want to change how we do business, that's up for the voters to decide. I just hope (we) all understand the fact that there will be consequences, both good and bad, for our actions.

Currently playing: Civ 6

sethnintendo said:

Seems like people are either for it or against it.... How about a compromise?

A compromise I would accept would be one where one or more of the following would occur:

1) Offsetting the minimum wage increase with a payroll tax decrease, so the net cost of employment remains unchanged

2) Introducing a age-tier like in many other countries. In the UK, there are three minimum wage, under 18, 18-21, and 21+. That way the people who are harmed most by minimum wage increases (young people) are less damaged, whereas the ones who min wage increases supposedly benefits (working adults) get that benefit.

3) Allowing districts who's unemployment rate is more than 1 standard deviation higher than the mean to use a lower minimum wage (at the discretion of the state/local Governments). Possibly rolled back to what is typically the 18-21 age rate.

Nice discussion. Thanks to everyone that brought some facts into the table

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Why not watch what happens in the UK now that the evil right wing Tories are forcing a minimum wage increase up to a "Living Wage". Quite a few businesses are already saying it will force them to have to reduce staff.

See what impact it has on UK employment and then decide if it's a good idea to implement jumps in minimum wage.

Personally, I don't see how it can lead to much of anything other than jobs being relocated to cheaper countries, staff reductions and increased inflation. But at the same time, that was argued about when a Minimum Wage itself was brought in and it didn't materialise that I can see.

It did however mean that the disabled population have generally been forced to rely on state handouts.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

It'll do more damage in the long run because businesses care more about the bottom line and corporate bonuses. I have lived in poverty most of my life, and that was with my parents on minimum wage. It's extremely difficult and it's becoming harder. However, businesses will simply raise product costs or eliminate workers hours so they don't have to pay benefits or they'll eliminate them outright. The entire system is fucked.

CEOs work hard, but they don't need millions upon millions of dollars while your lowest level employees earn jack shit.