By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A question concerning economics & minimum wage

Should the minimum wage be increased to $15?

Yes, for all jobs. 47 37.60%

Yes, but only for certain jobs. 11 8.80%

No, only for more professional jobs. 10 8.00%

No, not at all. 44 35.20%

Other/ N/A 13 10.40%

Total:125

Bernie Sanders has a goal of making a $15 minimum wage, ranging from librarians to your McDonalds cashiers. I've been thinking about it a lot lately, but wouldn't that cause more harm than good?

I'm not exactly the smartest in economics, so please bare with me. If we drastically increase the minimum wage, wouldn't that result into inflation, thus making the wage increase redundant and useless? 

Again, I'm not the most educated on American economics. I'm still learning about it, so don't be surprised if I have misunderstood this subject.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Around the Network

You shouldn't increase minimum wage because that will lower productivity since an employee salary's are an expense ...

Less employees = Less done ...

It also doesn't make sense to increase minimum wages where the cost of living is lower too ...

While I'm no expert in economics myself, I think that this would do more harm than good in the long run. I mean think about it, if it becomes easier to get more and more money, said money loses its value. I feel like alot of people advocating for this don't realize that.

Also people have to realize that the minimum wage was never meant to be a living wage in the first place. It was a way for young people (teens and college students) to make money while they were in school while living at home and such. But when you have families having to survive on said wages we end up in this position.

Anyways if this falls through, I can't help but feel that we're soon going to be spending $12 a gallon for milk when we go to the store.

it will make some people unemployable, it will also destroy some jobs and for some it will increase their pay. Yes it will also cause inflation. The problem with the minimum wage is it hurts the people that need the money the most, while the people who benefit are the ones who are more likely to succeed anyway. The minimum wage has been used in the past to get rid of competition from lower wage workers rather than to raise the living standards of the poorest.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

No, it should be a "livable wage"... not minimum. Setting a minimum wage only ensures that people will continue to be enslaved by corporate eco-nazis.

Around the Network

Yep your probably right. I saw a lot of people state that Australia has a higher minimum wage when compared to America. Guess what, everything we buy here is far more expensive too, largely cancelling out the differences.
Cant say I'm an expert on economics though.

Keep'em nice and poor... that way they will have less to lose.

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

Blob said:
Yep your probably right. I saw a lot of people state that Australia has a higher minimum wage when compared to America. Guess what, everything we buy here is far more expensive too, largely cancelling out the differences.
Cant say I'm an expert on economics though.

But is this the case in Australia as well?

A majority of food-stamp families with an able-bodied adult do work, and more than 60% of such families work when they have children. They just don’t get paid enough to feed their families. SNAP is therefore principally a program to subsidize cheapskate employers like Walmart that don’t give employees enough salary to live on.
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/whos-dependent-food-stamps

Sure, expenses for employer's increase. Yet it's money that gets spend again. Isn't that better for the economy than high bonusses for the people at the top. I'm no expert either though. Nowadays it seems debt rather than money makes the world go round.

We shouldn't let the political right wing or companies tell us how bad a minimum wage would be. They have a vested interest in keeping company expenses as low as possible.

Something has to be done about the income gap though. Companies who make the most money are the most prone to try to force the smallest possible wages even though they could afford it. That's why the sallaries at Walmart, McDonalds or Amazon exist and why Jobs are being outsourced to 3rd world countries.

Thanks to gigantic loopholes in the financial system those profits these companies make through cheap labor, benefit noone but a few managers.

Raising the minimum wage will indeed cost some jobs and will lead to a minimal inflation but not because that's the rule. It will happen because the biggest companies will dictate it. Not to protect the company from closure but to protect their already unnecessary huge margins.

Minimum wage is just a bandaid for a problem that was made by companies and corrupt politicians. I would like to think that a proper financial system without loopholes for the biggest earners would fix this by giving more money to the government to employ more people and expand social programs but that will never happen. Even if politicians weren't corruopt, they would still manage to waste that additional money.

The present and future is grim for low income people and the only chance to save yourself is a good job.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

JetSetter said:

Also people have to realize that the minimum wage was never meant to be a living wage in the first place.

This is what FDR said (the man who created minimum wage).

"In my Inaugural I laid down the simple proposition that nobody is going to starve in this country. It seems to me to be equally plain that no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country. By "business" I mean the whole of commerce as well as the whole of industry; by workers I mean all workers, the white collar class as well as the men in overalls; and by living wages I mean more than a bare subsistence level-I mean the wages of decent living."