By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So, Splatoon moved more consoles than DK Tropical Freeze

Splatoon vs DK

Splatoon is bigger now 111 72.55%

How is this not a tbone thread? 42 27.45%

Total:153
Skratchy said:
mZuzek said:
I don't think Donkey Kong Country games have ever been big system sellers, to be honest. I always saw them as the kind of games that sell to an established userbase. It might have not been the case with the first one on the SNES, but regardless it is how I've always felt about the franchise as a whole.

And then again, Retro Studios themselves haven't really made any system sellers in the past.

You clearly don't remember the SNES days. All three Donkey Country games sold really well and to rave reviews. It was Donkey Kong 64 that killed the franchise. It was essentially a Banjo Kazooie rip off.

The 16-bit era was the last time I think 2D sidescrollers could actually be counted on to sell consoles.  The last time I think a 2D sidescroller sold consoles was with the first NSMB before Nintendo milked it to hell.

Around the Network
wombat123 said:
zorg1000 said:

Who said anything about being proud? Im simply stating that the types of games that move Nintendo hardware and the ones that move PS/XB hardware are not the same. Nintendo focusing on the type of games that people buy PS/XB for is not going to help them, they will just be seen as copy-cat and still get labeled as being "kiddy".

Well, then they're going to continue to lose market share because they lost a lot of the casual market and the adolescent audience to smartphones and tablets.  And I never said anything about Nintendo focusing on the 18-35 adult male market.  I'd rather Nintendo diversify more by adding teens to their target demographics instead of throwing all of their eggs into two declining demographics within the console/handheld market.  Hell, I don't want them to target adult males either because NOA will end up buthering those games during the localization process.

zorg1000 said:

When has Metroid ever sold consoles? Never.

You can criticize the Metroid series all you want but I still think a HD Metroid Prime would have moved more consoles than 'kid-friendly 2D side-scrolling platformer' #24.  At this point it's just a difference of opinion.

I'm not criticizing Metroid, it's my favorite franchise, doesn't change the fact that it's niche and doesn't move consoles.

How many 2D platformers were on Wii U at the time of a tropical Freeze's release? NSMBU, Luigi U, Rayman Legends.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
wombat123 said:

Well, then they're going to continue to lose market share because they lost a lot of the casual market and the adolescent audience to smartphones and tablets.  And I never said anything about Nintendo focusing on the 18-35 adult male market.  I'd rather Nintendo diversify more by adding teens to their target demographics instead of throwing all of their eggs into two declining demographics within the console/handheld market.  Hell, I don't want them to target adult males either because NOA will end up buthering those games during the localization process.

You can criticize the Metroid series all you want but I still think a HD Metroid Prime would have moved more consoles than 'kid-friendly 2D side-scrolling platformer' #24.  At this point it's just a difference of opinion.

I'm not criticizing Metroid, it's my favorite franchise, doesn't change the fact that it's niche and doesn't move consoles.

How many 2D platformers were on Wii U at the time of a tropical Freeze's release? NSMBU, Luigi U, Rayman Legends.

Fair enough.  Agree to disagree.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=213390

Wow, games sell when you advertise them more? Who knew!

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
freebs2 said:

With that i can partially agree. It's true you don't need a big budget to make a conceptually ambitiuos games, also yes a great part of Prime praise was also due to its great design (that quality though wasn't lost in recent DK games). In fact I believe we should still expect Retro games to stands out for gameplay, originality, level design quality and artistic design quality.

On a technical level, on the other hand, it's quite hard to directly compete with AAA games without a comparable budget. Take Zelda U for example. It looks great because it doesn't try to mimick what a standard wrpg look like. If they opted for more realistic visuals it would have looked outdated compared to, say, The Witcher 3 or Dark Souls 3. Same goes for indie developers, they always go for exotic or artsy graphics because it's their only option to make their games visually stand out. Fast Racing Neo is not really a good example because Shinen purposely tapped a genre with no competition on a console with no competition, the same game on PC or Ps4 would have likely gone overlooked.

I remember I read some time ago someone suggesting Retro should be making a 3rd person shooting game, like Uncharted or Tomb Raider. But how can that possibly work out? When Tomb Raider (2013) was released Square Enix admitted the game failed to meet sales target at 3.4 million copies sold. How can they aim to make a game that needs to sell more than 3m copies on a single platform, only to break-even? Yes, you can cut corners, cut voice acting and all, but in the end  the more you detract the more customers will notice. Also what would be the point? Would it move consoles? I believe players on Ps4 wouldn't really care much about it since they can play Uncharted already. If ever they would downplay it - and we have already seen this happening with Rise of the Tomb Raider exclusivity on Xbox One; it was pointless. It's not nice to say it but this is one specific situation in which Nintendo should be going multiplatform in order to be successfull.

Fast Racing Neo may not have competition from other futuristic racing games on console, but it still managed to be one of the most technologically accomplished Wii U titles despite being made with literally a handful of people. You can make great graphics without breaking the bank.

I would agree that it would be folly for Retro to spend a fortune trying outdo Uncharted for example. But I don't think that has to preclude them making ambitious titles. I don't think it's necessarily a matter of all or nothing; there's a sizeable middle ground between Tropical Freeze and Rise of the Tomb Raider, Retro could find a balance somewhere in between.

On Fast Racing Neo, I don't want to downplay the amazing job that Shinen did, but the main 'wow' factor of the game is the engine. They have done a great job on low-level optimization in order to run shaders and effects that are otherwise can't run properly on WiiU. At the same time though the content of the games is pretty minimalistic. In order to make  a game that's impressive on a larger scale, expecially if you are looking more into the realistic looking western AAA realm, you'll need much more than that. You'll need a lot of high-quality games assets (models, textures, animations, etc.), and that's where the bill goes up.

I agree Retro should be looking for a middle ground, but you make it look like DKTF is not ambitious at all. On a conceptual level I agree, It's not ambitious  - it's basically more of the same of the remake of a 1995 concept . On the technical side, we could argue probably it was a bad idea to make an HD 3D sidescrolling platform in the first place - since indies have proved that, with a good art style, you can make a good 2D game for cheap . But, if you look at the effort that went into creating the game assets, DKTF is pretty much on par with Nintendo's other highest standard productions.

The problem with the newer DKC games is that they're much more expensive than the original trilogy, and nowhere near as good.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
The problem with the newer DKC games is that they're much more expensive than the original trilogy, and nowhere near as good.

Except that TF is as good if not better.

Jumpin said:

Agreed. I haven't played TF, but I'm a huge fan of the original DKC trilogy.

I was very excited for Returns, and when I finally played it... Boy, what a letdown...

Goodnightmoon said:
Pavolink said:

The gap on homeconsoles is 5 years and I agree that they are milking so much. Time to go back to develop great games every 2-3 years and only original games. No more remakes or spin offs. Or at least make it more sparse.

- Skyward Sword 2011
- A link Between Worlds 2013
- Zelda U 2016

2 and 3 years. WoWoW we dont have enough new zeldas we need 2 per year!

Your defensive comment becomes dumb the very moment you clearly wanted to ignore I was talking about the gap on homeconsoles.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile