By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So, Splatoon moved more consoles than DK Tropical Freeze

Splatoon vs DK

Splatoon is bigger now 111 72.55%

How is this not a tbone thread? 42 27.45%

Total:153
Einsam_Delphin said:
Nem said:

You really can't say a series that moves 3m copies in the GC is niche. Metroid has a wider appeal in the Nintendo fanbase than that.

If you are calling Metroid niche for the 3rd entry having sold less in a platform that appealed to casuals more than hardcores, then you will have to concede that DK is niche aswell due to its sales on the Wii U. You may lol all you want, but its true. Most of those 90m from the Wii were casuals(not necessarely grandmas. That is a segment within the casuals).

Also, its not the only difference, its the major difference. What we do is caracterise each segment and extrapolate its presence based on sales. 

And yes, naturally the Wii had a worse hardcore segment than the Wii U and the GC. It was a system severely outdated during the jump to HD + Wiimote, so it shouldn't come as a surprise. The difference in power was more diferentiable than the Wii U to the PS4/X1 for the non-techie.

I must say though, this idea you have of the proportional markets is a travesty in marketing terms. I am shocked anyone can even think things would work like that.

So you're implying the larger installbase is what caused MP3 to sell less, as only hardcore players can ever buy Metroid, since you're assuming the Wii had less hardcore players based on because you say so, despite the numbers clearly saying otherwise, and of course you ignore all my other points. Yep, I'm done here!

The overall userbase is not the main defining factor for a game's sales. Its it's appeal to the segments that compose that userbase. Why has Mario Kart 8 sold 7+m on the Wii U wich has a 12m userbase?

Its not because i say so. Its looking at the sales numbers of titles. The Wii had 90m userbase... how many games tanked for it? Lots did. Why do you think that happened? You have to go a bit further than that in your analysis. But its ok if you just want to disagree.

Around the Network

Metroid wouldn't have done better saleswise but it might convinced some gamers to buy a Wii U for it. DK was the 5th or so 2d platformer for the system and while being a great one it didn't add diversitie to the console's library.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Qwark said:
Metroid wouldn't have done better saleswise but it might convinced some gamers to buy a Wii U for it. DK was the 5th or so 2d platformer for the system and while being a great one it didn't add diversitie to the console's library.

I doubt that tbh, one thing people don't understand is that Metroid doesn't actually appeal to the core and avid gamer groups despite people labelling it as a core game, it's a game that is really operating in it's own space with it's own little pocket of fans as the taste required for it to appeal to you is very specific, it's in the same boat as games like Pikmin where it has a dedicated following but is not a huge force in pushing platforms at all. This is why the series has been stuck at it's usual sales average no matter the platform or demographic.

There's more to the equation than just "how many software units did it sell?" also.

For instance:

- Did it move hardware?

- Did it diversify the console's library?

- Did it improve the console's image?

Tropical Freeze, great game though it is, fails on all three counts.