By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - That's a FINE story BROS

Fei-Hung said:
Dravenet7 said:
Saw something about this earlier today. Don't really care that much about the situation, but from what I gather:

They want to monetize a format reflective of the format of their content...
The content in question is essentially having different people react to content that belongs to corporations someone else.

So they want to monetize someone reacting to content they do not own simply because they do it in a similar way

leems segit

As legit as someone monetizing the word "review" and claiming they did it first and then screwing everyone over it. 

Yep. Shout out to hypocrisy and money

Around the Network

I don't like this at all. They hold the React trademark like they own it, when they don't. Boogie was right on this looking scary, and with good reason. I'd hate to get my content flagged because it's a react video, and I wouldn't want to work with them, despite how nice they can be. I don't like Youtube getting too corporate and trying to capitalize on anything that makes money.

Fine Bros Subscriber count real-time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_qoGYnBJsY

First they named themselves Bros, then they became Nintendo. Slippery slope, people.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
First they named themselves Bros, then they became Nintendo. Slippery slope, people.
spurgeonryan said:
So they are more or less copying Nintendo?

Not comparable. I'd argue this as being more Sony-like.

Around the Network

I almost want to sub just so I can unsub.

RolStoppable said:

What they are doing is correct. I protect the formats that I am using on VGC as well. If other people are going to use the same framework, they should have the decency to ask for permission.

But they dont specify what this "format" is. It could literally be anything. They don't have a right to monetize a concept without specifically stating what it is they want to trademark.

Btw, I'm now gonna trademark any comment that uses the 3 sentence reply format (just like yours). If you don't like it, then you can pay me some cash and I'll even help promote your comment!!! Either join me, or I'll report you for your reply on the grounds of copyright infringement.

Totally fair right?

Is this similar to Sony trying to trademark Let's Play?

TheSting said:
Is this similar to Sony trying to trademark Let's Play?

Sony were trade marking to create a campaign similar to Greatness Awaits. It would have made little to no difference, unless Sony would have gone full dwerp, which is quite unlikely. 

They deserve all the bad press that they are getting. Who the hell tries to copyright the word 'react' in a YouTube format? It is asinine. The amount of videos regular people post of their friends reacting to something is astounding. The fact that videos are already being taken down due to Fine Bros copyright claiming their videos is atrocious.

Anyone that willingly subscribes to them, or keeps their subscriptions, are just as bad as they are. Doing so supports people acting like douche bags. Supporting douche bags, in effect, makes you a douche bag.