By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Witness Nearly Sold As Much In A Week As Braid Sold In A Year

contestgamer said:
AEGRO said:

Jonathan Blow Resume:

Braid (Ps3) - Metascore 93

The Witness (Ps4) - Metascore 87 

-------------------------------------------------

The guy is obviously a GREAT developer with an amazing vision for innovative games. He has all the right to complain for piracy no matter of severe the situation is. If 1 guy download the game ilegally, that is one guy that is robbing his pockets.

-------------------------------------------------

The amazing thing is, that im seeing people on this thread complaining about Jonathan attitude, when they themselves supported and defended silly twitter rants from people like Tomonobu Itagaki when people were shitting on The Devil's Third, and from Shinji Mikami who is the No. 1 complainer on the internet, which also insults fans almost on a daily basis.

--------------------------------------------------

Im just glad the game is selling great and that Jonathan is pleased, cant wait to see more games from him. He is a proven genious.

I just wish he didnt take so long between games.

Also, the Ps4/PC Combo has been killing it lately from several games. It is a formula for success apparently.

Cant wait to see how Street Fighter V will sell.

He's a good developer, but 87 is not impressive for a 7 year dev cycle. Braid had a 3 year dev cycle with Blow working only 3-4 hours a day compared to full time on the witness. If you don't even factor that in, Braid got a Netacritic score of 31 for every year in development and The Witness got a metacritic of 12.4 per year in development. Take in to factor the huge difference in hours and the gap is even more striking. 

So yeah, both games are good but his efficiency in greating a the good game out of the Witness is very low.

So now we are dividing the years of development with the Metacritc score?

Wow...

VGChartz never cease to amaze me.

Around the Network
AEGRO said:

Wow...

I'm pretty sure it was satire, or better I pray that it was.

Lafiel said:
AEGRO said:

Wow...

No it's not. I wasnt commenting on him being a good or bad developer. In the end he delivered a very good game (I bought it by the way). I was commenting on his efficiency going down by more than half in making a good game - he made braid in 3 and the witness in 7 years and braid was the better game. 

Look, if you have a painter that paints a room perfectly in 20 minutes and then takes a hour on the next room it means half his efficiency has gone.

contestgamer said:
Lafiel said:
AEGRO said:

Wow...

No it's not. I wasnt commenting on him being a good or bad developer. In the end he delivered a very good game (I bought it by the way). I was commenting on his efficiency going down by more than half in making a good game - he made braid in 3 and the witness in 7 years and braid was the better game. 

Look, if you have a painter that paints a room perfectly in 20 minutes and then takes a hour on the next room it means half his efficiency has gone.

Thats a pretty rubbish analogy :D

You are not talking into account how big the picture is, surely If i paint a picture on a piece of A4 and it releases in 3 years, thats different to painting a picture of the cistine chapel and taking 7... size generally = time in game creation.

How big are the two games in comparison, how many people did they use, moving from 2D? to 3D, there are many elements... if you are going to judge him on time/metacritic of a few percentage... yeah thats silly..

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

contestgamer said:
Lafiel said:
AEGRO said:

Wow...

So GAME A with a Meta Score of 50 developed in ONE YEAR was more efficiently developed than GAME B with a Meta Score of 90 developed in TWO YEARS?

GAME A has a Meta Score of 50 for every year in development.

GAME B has a Meta Score of 45 for every year in development.

GAME A >>>>> GAME B

Around the Network
AEGRO said:
contestgamer said:

So GAME A with a Meta Score of 50 developed in ONE YEAR was more efficiently developed than GAME B with a Meta Score of 90 developed in TWO YEARS?

GAME A has a Meta Score of 50 for every year in development.

GAME B has a Meta Score of 45 for every year in development.

GAME A >>>>> GAME B

You're missing the point. He took more than two times as long to develop a game that's worse than his first one according to critics. That's poor efficiency.

Madword said:
contestgamer said:

Thats a pretty rubbish analogy :D

You are not talking into account how big the picture is, surely If i paint a picture on a piece of A4 and it releases in 3 years, thats different to painting a picture of the cistine chapel and taking 7... size generally = time in game creation.

How big are the two games in comparison, how many people did they use, moving from 2D? to 3D, there are many elements... if you are going to judge him on time/metacritic of a few percentage... yeah thats silly..

AEGRO said:
contestgamer said:

So GAME A with a Meta Score of 50 developed in ONE YEAR was more efficiently developed than GAME B with a Meta Score of 90 developed in TWO YEARS?

GAME A has a Meta Score of 50 for every year in development.

GAME B has a Meta Score of 45 for every year in development.

GAME A >>>>> GAME B

It doesn't change the fact that it took two times as long to develop a game that's worse than his first one according to critics. That's poor efficiency. You'd have a point if he created something marginally better, but to create something worse in more time is really poor planning.

Sprash said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
Oh man I hope that's enough to feed his family what with all the pirating.

Glad the game is selling well, by all accounts it is a fantastic game. But his crying about how bad piracy was making his situation look was clearly exaggerated for attention/sales.

He's like Phil Fish in that he makes it very hard for me to purchase his work and feel good about it.

What crying? he made one comment on twitter how he saw that his game was heavily pirated nothing more nothing less, can we please stop with that crying, what a attention whore he is supposed to be or how he has a master-plan to seek attention and imply how he can't make a next game because of this just to say one day after this tweet how good the sales are on both platforms.

but seriously, your exxagerated crying over his twitter message is clearly a dirty move from you.

He's just bitter because the game is not on his platform of choice.

contestgamer said:

It doesn't change the fact that it took two times as long to develop a game that's worse than his first one according to critics. That's poor efficiency. You'd have a point if he created something marginally better, but to create something worse in more time is really poor planning.

What in the name of all that's holly are you talking about? What does the time it takes to make a game have to do with how high it's metacritic score is?

You're totally ignoring the size and scope of each game, aswell as litteraly everything else except these two nonsense pieces of information. You're not even making a point, you're just saying a thing.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't Jonathan Blow somewhat of an asshole?